Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 01-08-2010, 04:09 PM   #1
Regis

Default A Young Dominican's Guide to Judgement

This is something I assembled for a campaign I'm running online. It's a document assembled by certain high-ranking servitors of Dominic and distributed publically for everyone to see (everyone in Heaven, that is). Dominic has not openly stated his opinion on this document, but it has not yet been surpressed. I'm interested to hear what the In Nomine boards think of it!

A Young Dominican's Guide to Judgement:

-The True Word of God is final. Nothing within these guidelines should be taken as an instruction to defy, ignore or subvert the True Word of God.

-The Word of Dominic is final. Only the True Word of God may gainsay Dominic's Judgement.

-The Word of the Seraphim Council must be respected as Dominic respects it.

-Judgement is not simply an action, but a faculty of all thinking beings. You possess Judgement. Use it.

-Judge based on the character of the accused, not their deeds.

-Let the punishment fit the crime.

-Human laws are for Humans. They are bound to obey. You are not.

-The innocent should have nothing to fear from servants of Judgement. Do not act against any being without probable cause to suspect their guilt.

-We do not have interests in common with The Adversary. Any who claim we do must be considered a Very High security risk.

-To simply Judge is not enough. If Judgement demands punishment, then punishment must be executed. Judgement without strength is an insult to Lord Dominic.

-The aim of punishment is to either improve the character of the offender or to keep it from worsening. Remember, we punish people for their own good.

-Do not spare your superiors from Judgement. Any may Trip or even Fall. You will, however, show respect to those above you, and Judge only those of your level on the Celestial hierarchy or lower. Those higher must be passed up the chain of command.

-It is your duty to assist others of the Heavenly Host with their duties. We all act towards the same end. Remember, other Angels are not your enemies.
Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:13 PM   #2
William

Default Re: A Young Dominican's Guide to Judgement

You may find this useful, as it covers similar ground.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:38 AM   #3
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regis View Post

-The innocent should have nothing to fear from servants of Judgement. Do not act against any being without probable cause to suspect their guilt.
Chilling.

I like its brevity, and its relative darkness. I like to use Dominic as a heavy--not precisely a villain but as someone to be feared--and this instills that very fear. (I'm having a YouTube night--this is my model for Dominic, Catherine from "The Cell" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odYnnfc9NPE)

Quote:
I love this--it shows Dominic's love for the angels. On the flipside it throws behavioral psychology right out the window, emphasizing how alien angels can be.

Quote:
-We do not have interests in common with The Adversary. Any who claim we do must be considered a Very High security risk.
Again, genuine concern for angels' well-being but couched in terms that could be construed as fascist or worse.

I'll be reading William's link later when I have more time, but I really like what Regis has done here.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:24 PM   #4
gjc8

I like it.

The first law, though, doesn't seem to truly reflect the majesty of God. Remembering the Dominic is a Seraph:
The Word of God is Truth.
gjc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:42 PM   #5
Regis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
I love this--it shows Dominic's love for the angels. On the flipside it throws behavioral psychology right out the window, emphasizing how alien angels can be.
The way I see it, to Dominic, what you got arrestested for is irrelevant. A truly evil person who gets a parking ticket deserves to die. A truly good person (as Dominic sees it, of course) who commits murder should be acquitted completely. Good and Evil are facts of people's nature, not their actions, Dominic would tell you. Why act otherwise?

I also tried to bear in mind that these rules are written by an infellible lie detector who can tell the truth behind anything. If we presume that Dominic has at least the power of one of his own seraphim and at least five celestial forces, he can never get less than a check 6 on his resonance. The truth is clear in everything people say to him. It is impossible to lie to Dominic. And, well, that might get to someone. Just a little bit.
Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:53 PM   #6
Parabola

Quote:
This is something I assembled for a campaign I'm running online. It's a document assembled by certain high-ranking servitors of Dominic and distributed publically for everyone to see (everyone in Heaven, that is). Dominic has not openly stated his opinion on this document, but it has not yet been surpressed. I'm interested to hear what the In Nomine boards think of it!

A Young Dominican's Guide to Judgement:

-The True Word of God is final. Nothing within these guidelines should be taken as an instruction to defy, ignore or subvert the True Word of God.

-The Word of Dominic is final. Only the True Word of God may gainsay Dominic's Judgement.

-The Word of the Seraphim Council must be respected as Dominic respects it.

-Judgement is not simply an action, but a faculty of all thinking beings. You possess Judgement. Use it.

-Let the punishment fit the crime.

-Human laws are for Humans. They are bound to obey. You are not.

-To simply Judge is not enough. If Judgement demands punishment, then punishment must be executed. Judgement without strength is an insult to Lord Dominic.

-The aim of punishment is to either improve the character of the offender or to keep it from worsening. Remember, we punish people for their own good.

-Do not spare your superiors from Judgement. Any may Trip or even Fall. You will, however, show respect to those above you, and Judge only those of your level on the Celestial hierarchy or lower. Those higher must be passed up the chain of command.

-It is your duty to assist others of the Heavenly Host with their duties. We all act towards the same end. Remember, other Angels are not your enemies.
I'm quite new to the game but this sounds pretty solidly in-character for Dominic from what I've read. One note is that the text refers to him as "Lord Dominic" at one point. Not sure I'd picture any arch-angel allowing himself to be referred to as "Lord". But overall, as someone already said, it is chilling in its feeling of 'threat without actually threatening in so many words.'
Parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:37 PM   #7
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
The way I see it, to Dominic, what you got arrestested for is irrelevant. A truly evil person who gets a parking ticket deserves to die. A truly good person (as Dominic sees it, of course) who commits murder should be acquitted completely. Good and Evil are facts of people's nature, not their actions, Dominic would tell you. Why act otherwise?
Remember, though, that it's dissonant for Judgment to give a punishment that doesn't fit the crime (as you've also acknowledged in your list of principles, I see). Still, if the person who received a parking ticket also had an undiscovered rape or murder in his past, I can easily see Dominic nodding as justice is done.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:00 PM   #8
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

*beth nods absently and hopes that Superiors 1 has been noticed as well? O;> *
Old 01-11-2010, 03:10 PM   #9
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth View Post
*beth nods absently and hopes that Superiors 1 has been noticed as well? O;> *
Certainly has by me -- that's when I started getting a more sympathetic view of the Judge.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:52 PM   #10
cptbutton

Quote:
Are only celestials meant here? I had the vague impression that angels were supposed to leave humans alone no matter what they've done, as long as there is no evidence of demonic involvement.
cptbutton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dominic