Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-16-2017, 10:05 AM   #11
Piperdog

Default Re: What's Next for GURPS?

I would like to see boxed sets for 1. Post Apocalypse 2. Supers and 3. Space opera

I would back all these sets!

Some old hands might ask "Why boxed sets? We have everything we need to make any campaign we can imagine!"

Okay that's true, but these guys forget one thing: boxed sets are just plain cool. On a practical level, it gathers all the material into one easy to reference place, with rules modifications and streamlining to make it simpler for new folks. It comes with pregenerated characters, miniatures and maps, ready adventures, and so on so people can start playing right away (and as an old hand myself, I appreciate NOT having to do all the work on my end). Aside from the practical side, a box set has mega presentation value. It's Merchandising 101: when you open the box and spread all the goodness out on the table...it looks fantastic.
Piperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:45 AM   #12
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Just a note for those who might have missed it, but we've been discussing this on and off and on again over the past month.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 01:20 PM   #13
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
GURPS has a lot of tools for outer space adventure, but somehow it hasn't developed the kind of space marines or space exploration material I'd have expected.
I misread that as "space exploitation," which might actually be a usable idea, following the rebirth of the exploitation film genre.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 03:52 PM   #14
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I misread that as "space exploitation," which might actually be a usable idea, following the rebirth of the exploitation film genre.
If they manage to put out a game which somehow adequately covers both space adventures and mid-70s Pam Grier, that may be the greatest RPG ever published.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 04:35 PM   #15
rknop

I'm fond of the small PDF supplements, plus the GURPS-centric version of Pyramid we've got right now. It's all small press, not gigantic support, but it's good stuff by and large.

The right kind of Space Opera RPG (powered by GURPS) would be quite cool, of course, but I predict that it wouldn't bear all that much resemblance to most of what people have posted on various threads here. (Mostly because of the huge diversity of what people have posted!)
rknop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 12:39 AM   #16
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
If they manage to put out a game which somehow adequately covers both space adventures and mid-70s Pam Grier, that may be the greatest RPG ever published.
This is now a thing that I want to run...
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 05:37 AM   #17
rknop

I ran a sometimes-GURPS, sometimes-Fudge space campaign, set in David Pulver's Pheonix Sector of Space Atlas 4, back with my Nashville group.

(In fact, the web page for it is still online. Many of the links in the text are broken, but the sidebar links all work.)

The PCs were elite members of the Federation Rangers, with a lot of freedom of discretion during missions. They all had their own warp-capable fighters. The CO of their division was a woman with a dark complexion named Diana Hammer. I learned after several sessions that whenever she was giving her briefing, my group was getting a big Pam Grier/blaxploitation sort of vibe from it. This was unintentional -- indeed, I'm really not familiar with the genre.
rknop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 05:40 AM   #18
whswhs

Well, for what it's worth, I've just turned in a new short manuscript, which is a follow-up to one of my earlier large books.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 05:44 AM   #19
whswhs

If I were going to offer a proposal for a supers campaign, I would probably organize it as something different from four-color, which has been pretty well worked out over the decades since Superhero 2044 and Villains and Vigilantes. I think I might set it up as an expansion on Monster Hunters, with standard MH being the streetlevel and mid-range supers and with earth-shaking characters on top of that. MH offers the coexistence of magic and science that's central to supers adventures, but also assumes an "urban supers" approach with secretive figures, akin to League of Extraordinary Gentlemen or Planetary or the Wold Newton material—or the Buffyverse.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:42 AM   #20
Randyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
If I were going to offer a proposal for a supers campaign, I would probably organize it as something different from four-color, which has been pretty well worked out over the decades since Superhero 2044 and Villains and Vigilantes. I think I might set it up as an expansion on Monster Hunters, with standard MH being the streetlevel and mid-range supers and with earth-shaking characters on top of that. MH offers the coexistence of magic and science that's central to supers adventures, but also assumes an "urban supers" approach with secretive figures, akin to League of Extraordinary Gentlemen or Planetary or the Wold Newton material—or the Buffyverse.
I get the same vibe from MH myself. (And the Buffyverse connection is explicit as per the designer.)

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boxed sets