Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 12-01-2016, 06:21 AM   #341
ColBosch

Default Re: Kickstarter - Ogre Miniatures Set 1

I have a BIG room that I'm going to purpose into a game room, and I'm planning on building a custom table. Specifically, the mother of all gaming tables. Fiberoptics, black lights, interchangeable playing surfaces, storage shelves and cabinets, dice towers...

Beware the bachelor with too much disposable income! Next year, a Corvette! Bwah ha ha ha ha! Stay off the sidewalks!
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:17 AM   #342
brettd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
I have a BIG room that I'm going to purpose into a game room, and I'm planning on building a custom table. Specifically, the mother of all gaming tables. Fiberoptics, black lights, interchangeable playing surfaces, storage shelves and cabinets, dice towers...

Beware the bachelor with too much disposable income! Next year, a Corvette! Bwah ha ha ha ha! Stay off the sidewalks!
Suggest variable overhead lighting for mood. Maybe some red lights, perhaps a blacklight, other stuff... What about the sound system????? Make SURE you put some places for people to leave their drinks. Nothing is worse than drinks spilling.

Hmmm... Looking at the above paragraph, I can see how that could be easily misconstrued as applying to an entirely different kind of "game room"....
brettd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:29 PM   #343
Buzzardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyHart View Post
Halloween "Ghost Army Attacks!" scenario
Paint up an orange and black faction. :)

Maybe the other team could be grey and red (kinda zombie-ish).

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettd View Post
Hmmm... Looking at the above paragraph, I can see how that could be easily misconstrued as applying to an entirely different kind of "game room"....
I was just thinking "mirror ball." Ogre was released in 1977, after all. ;)

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 02:52 PM   #344
mstlaurent

I was thinking about it last night: I think for color scheme the Combine units will get a simplified MultiCam, while the Paneuropeans will get Flecktarn. I think it will make it easier to distinguish them on the table.

But hey, I can change my mind all I want, because I have eight months to wait until they get here!
mstlaurent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:19 PM   #345
Dave Crowell

I'm considering Soviet armour green for Combine, because it appeals to my sense of irony.
Dave Crowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:35 PM   #346
srmalloy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
Of those (presently) 1525 backers, assuming each person only got one set of minis, that's almost 66,000 minis.
Judging from the rush after they added the "Many Minis" level, I suspect that's undervaluing it a lot. Mine is going to total out at 344 minis -- the "Many Minis" level (six sets in three colors, plus the set in GitD), and an extra set of green to make a bigger army with. Now I have to decide how they'll be painted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstlaurent View Post
I was thinking about it last night: I think for color scheme the Combine units will get a simplified MultiCam, while the Paneuropeans will get Flecktarn. I think it will make it easier to distinguish them on the table.
I'm thinking about picking three from one or two of the MERDC patterns, Caunter, MASSTER, a late WWI to early WWII French tank camouflage, a Dunkelgelb/Rotbraun/Dunkelgrun pattern from WWII Germany, the Berlin Brigade camo, one of the various sand/brown/black desert patterns, and possibly one of the WWII naval 'dazzle' patterns.

I do, however, want to avoid a camo pattern like this one; I'd go blind trying to paint it on 80+ units.
srmalloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:56 PM   #347
Mack_JB

Many years ago I built a series of the Gunze Sangyo 1:24 scale powered armor kits in their 'Dorvack' series. I painted each figure in a different World War Two era aircraft or tank scheme. Dark gloss blue overall (US Marines), the fronded dark/light gray used on German night fighters, plain OD overall, German "summer" scheme, etc. I was surprised how well they translated to the human shapes of the powered armor.

Other than the extreme difficulty of reproducing the tiny patterns in 1:300; I may try something similar. Of course, I once painted a plaid shirt in 1:20 scale ... that was horrendous.

Another option is bright colors, as we've seen in the ARF or Vatican Guard styles. Would camo really do you any good in that future war?
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:10 PM   #348
mstlaurent

Quote:
Another option is bright colors, as we've seen in the ARF or Vatican Guard styles. Would camo really do you any good in that future war?
I know if I were driving around on an Ogerverse battlefield, my attitude towards camouflage would be, "It certainly can't hurt!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmalloy View Post
I'm thinking about picking three from one or two of the MERDC patterns, Caunter, MASSTER, a late WWI to early WWII French tank camouflage, a Dunkelgelb/Rotbraun/Dunkelgrun pattern from WWII Germany, the Berlin Brigade camo, one of the various sand/brown/black desert patterns, and possibly one of the WWII naval 'dazzle' patterns.

I do, however, want to avoid a camo pattern like this one; I'd go blind trying to paint it on 80+ units.
Yeah, I think the key is to keep it simple. Something where you can add the sub-colors in a single pass of the brush.

Last edited by mstlaurent; 12-01-2016 at 10:22 PM.
mstlaurent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:22 PM   #349
Buzzardo

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstlaurent View Post
I know if I were driving around on an Ogerverse battlefield, my attitude towards camouflage would be, "It certainly can't hurt!"
Two options present themselves.

First, one could assume that if the enemy is close enough to make visual identification and can get through the ECM, then camo doesn't matter. That's part of the idea behind painting an Ogre sparkly pink - may as well, and some eccentric Ogre likes it.

Second, some folks might want to reach for every advantage, no matter how small - even old-fashioned techniques such as camo paint jobs.

An idea that just occurred to me is that BPC may not break down due to weather. In that case, painting may be irrelevant and everything is whatever color BPC is (given that it's carbon, maybe it's dark grey, but it could look like diamond for all we know).

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:07 PM   #350
FJCestero

Well, one possible reason for a bright color paint job is that given the technology, it might be more important overall for your friends to know where you are than it is to hide from the enemy.

I.e.: If your HQ can track you visually, they need only transmit/risk exposing themselves when they know you need an update. Thus minimizing their vulnerability to the enemy.

There could well be a 21st century equivalent reason as to why the Redcoats wore, well, red coats...
FJCestero is offline   Reply With Quote