Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-26-2018, 09:11 AM   #11
David Johnston2

Default Re: Apperance Rate For Advantages

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
OK, somewhere, I think it's one of the Kromm quotes Dataweaver's got linked in his sig or it could be in a book, most likely Basic Set, there's this bit about point cost representing frequency of appearance, or rather the cost is based upon how often the designers think it should appear, or something like that.

So with that in mind how often should characters encounter people with various traits? 1 in X, where X is the cost of the trait in question. Now I think this works out OK for Combat Reflexes, as that sounds about right for the Mook to Worthy or Boss ratio.

But I believe that Magic says that 1 in 100 people have Magery. Now obviously these are comparing the presence in different populations (Or rather between the population at large and a biased sub-group).

So what do people think the appearance ratios should be?
I don't think there's any straightforward way to convert point cost to frequency of appearance. Even Combat Reflexes would depend massively on whether the country in question has seen recent combat.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote