Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 12-31-2015, 02:28 PM   #1
ammulder

Default Combat Garage Update

I haven't updated the Combat Garage in forever because of, well, stuff. But Magesmiley poked me with a few issues, and someone else pointed out that it still doesn't let you put different amounts of armor on guards/hubs on different sides, and someone else was wondering about putting the plant behind the driver and etc. So it may be time for an update.

Any other requests?
ammulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 03:18 PM   #2
HeatDeath

Default Re: Combat Garage Update

I recall a previous discussion about implementing a mode (and possibly having it be the default mode) that would restrict the equipment to that found in the new Car Wars 4e box.

If that hasn't happened yet, that would be very helpful for newbies, I suspect.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 06:04 PM   #3
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatDeath View Post
I recall a previous discussion about implementing a mode (and possibly having it be the default mode) that would restrict the equipment to that found in the new Car Wars 4e box.

If that hasn't happened yet, that would be very helpful for newbies, I suspect.
I'm assuming that you mean the Classic set - yes that is there.

To answer Aaron's question (and remember you asked...)

Requests:
Save some default settings when you log in (Classic/Compendium/UACFH, Weight for gear, and default color). I have to set these every time I make a new design.

When viewing your designs a tree view +- for each division to collapse things.

In the cargo allocation, add an option to allocate the cost and weight of a trailer.

On the Configure Design tab An "AADA tournament" option (to grey out stuff marked with the circled X in UACFH). (And if you save settings, save this one too).

Other observed stuff:
On 6 wheel vehicles - selecting the outer tire and adding a guard gets an error, I think the Garage might be flipping the inner/outer tire. And is there a way to do the forward/back 6 wheeled chassis that I'm not seeing?

Vertical scrollbars. I use the Garage from my laptop which doesn't have a very high resolution and often the bottom end of the right pane gets cut off (most noticeable on Grenade selection). It could use a scrollbar.

Missing:
Convertible: I recall that there was an option to make a car a convertible for $500, it probably should be added to body modifications. I'd have to dig up the reference (or wait for Michael to point it out).

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 06:41 PM   #4
ammulder

I did ask, and those are all good comments. :)

I'm not willing to do scrollbars. See if your browser has a zoom control that will get it all onto the screen. (In many cases where things don't fit, these seem to default to values larger than 100% for some reason.) If really unavoidable, I'd consider shrinking some controls rather than scrolling.

There's already the "Convertible Hardtop" option among the Body Mods. If there's a separate ragtop option I'm unaware of it. :)

For the cargo and trailer bit, I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for. Do you want to be able to do a combined design of tractor + trailer or car + car trailer or something? Or are you saying you want to be able to put in "I'm towing a 4,300 lb. trailer" and have it calculate top speed and acceleration and engine max weight based on including the weight of the trailer? If the latter, would you want it to let you select an existing trailer design or just punch in the weight in question?
Old 01-01-2016, 05:14 AM   #5
Fredford

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammulder View Post
I haven't updated the Combat Garage in forever because of, well, stuff. But Magesmiley poked me with a few issues, and someone else pointed out that it still doesn't let you put different amounts of armor on guards/hubs on different sides, and someone else was wondering about putting the plant behind the driver and etc. So it may be time for an update.

Any other requests?
A useful option would be to allow the designer to input a dollar limit and then have the "distribute armor" button pivot off the lesser of the dollar limit or the weight limit. A further enhancement would automatically downgrade the chassis if there was sufficient unused weight capacity after applying armor to the dollar cap (and iteratively apply more armor with the money saved).

And if this is a wish list, I'll ad that having the weapons in the "van" area of a 10-wheeler listed in the Weapons section of the PDF printout would be nice too.

All the above are "nice to haves." I'm quite happy to have access to the tool just as it is, thank you.

Last edited by Fredford; 01-01-2016 at 04:35 PM.
Fredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:25 AM   #6
Magesmiley

Quote:
There's already the "Convertible Hardtop" option among the Body Mods. If there's a separate ragtop option I'm unaware of it. :)
Yep, I remember there being one and it being $500 (it was handy for the MONDOs) - but I'll have to fish around to find it though.

Quote:
For the cargo and trailer bit, I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for. Do you want to be able to do a combined design of tractor + trailer or car + car trailer or something? Or are you saying you want to be able to put in "I'm towing a 4,300 lb. trailer" and have it calculate top speed and acceleration and engine max weight based on including the weight of the trailer? If the latter, would you want it to let you select an existing trailer design or just punch in the weight in question?
Both cases actually.
The specific use cases:
1. Pulling a specific trailer and trying to stay in the weight/cost total of the trailer plus the car you're working on.
2. Having a specific towing capacity for figuring top speed/acceleration.

Oh, one other UI item related to towing too:
When you have Classic selected, when you hover over the back of the car, the 'Add hitch' appears.

And a couple of top speed items I'm suddenly recalling:
High Torque motors don't show the top speed reduction.
Overdrive doesn't show its acceleration/top speed changes.
Might I suggest using the format of X/Y (A/B) for displaying acceleration and top speed values with all of the options. Use X for normal, Y being with the usual accessory (such as HTM or turbocharger and be absent if not applicable) and have A be the value with overdrive and B the value with both.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:04 AM   #7
brionl

I don't suppose you want to add helicopters to the mix.
brionl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 12:38 PM   #8
ammulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by brionl View Post
I don't suppose you want to add helicopters to the mix.
I would consider it, but my priority is to fix up ground vehicles a bit. :)
Old 01-02-2016, 04:52 PM   #9
juris

Kamibombs

Possibly the ability to designate DPs for cargo (My rule of thumb is 1 DP per 100 lbs of cargo round down)
juris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:20 AM   #10
Racer

There seems some confusion on how many DPs a Spare Tire in cargo has ? Combat Showcase is inconsistent in the illustrations - normal Tire DP ( on Hercules ) , or a flat 4 DP ( on Grand Rover ) . IIRC Mean Streets had similar problems ? It depends if loads of people are likely to try & use them as damage sinks ... particularly with Component Armor around them ...