Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 11-19-2013, 02:21 AM   #1
The Munchkin King

Default Magic Crayon question

Hello, peasants! I'm new here and love this game so much I had to crown myself. Anyway I have a question about the Magic Crayon card from the Munchkin Legends deck.

The card basically says you can play it after a card is drawn for any reason, then discard that card and draw a replacement. Some of the other members of my court believe after you draw this card you can immediately play it on itself. I say the card has to be in your hand before you can use it.

I realize the King is never wrong, but I would like a second opinion. Thanks.
The Munchkin King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:36 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Magic Crayon question

I see no reason why one couldn't play it immediately, assuming that the player who plays it actually drew the card. In other words, a player who had a helper couldn't play it immediately, since the final distribution needs to be determined, and a player who is a helper in combat who ends up with this card couldn't play it, since they did not draw a card.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
The Munchkin King

The King is disappointed but he shall abide by your ruling. Do not agitate him any further.
The Munchkin King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
Clipper

Wait, isn't this a case of discarding a card to activate the ability on the same card? The remainder of Magic Crayon's text says that the card you drew must be discarded and the new card replaces it for all purposes. How can you discard Magic Crayon if you have played it and are currently using it? That's like drawing a GUAL, using it immediately, then using Magic Crayon to discard it and get a replacement even though you went up the level, and I'm certain that was not intended.

I wouldn't argue about using Magic Crayon to discard a card you drew at the same time as Magic Crayon, but it seems very odd to allow it to discard itself.