Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 10-15-2010, 04:34 PM   #41
ErhnamDJ

Default Re: [IC] Worlds of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totem View Post
Can you get anything from either of them? Anyone see anything?"
Douglas looks over. He has a Per of 14, so maybe he'll pick up on something. He has Body Language at 13 too if that helps.

Quote:
"Let me take a scan of the gun and tell me what you want doing with it. I have a rule that I try not to hand over tech that people aren't used to. It's not a repression thing, it is honestly that I have seen world-jumpers getting hold of things from more advanced societies and going absolutely mental with them. Plus I prefer giving people things that they can replace themselves when they need to.

"If you want some stuff like this before you begin then just tell me; it might take a couple of hours because we're limiting travel between here and the Western Harbour while Chu'dam is around, but I'll see what I can do."

[OOC: Anyone wanting kit upgraded (once you're sure you want to join in) just list it and it'll turn up within the next couple of game hours. The general rule is that stuff from a more advanced TL is out (so a black powder gun will still use black powder) but the material science can be anything to TL^ (so a black powder gun made from nano-steel or similar). Also, ammo, spare magazines, power packs, etc, can be replaced/ replenished/ added to in the same batch.]
Douglas reaches into his duster and fiddles with the holster on his right (where he keeps his older revolver--the one he doesn't have Weapon Bond with). He hefts it around under the table, where he hopes nobody can see it. "They're both like that," he says. "I want a basic cartridge conversion. Easy enough. I could do it myself if I had the tools. And if you can, modify the cylinder to swing out, so I can reload it with a speedloader. I can draw out how to do it," he grabs up a napkin, "Anyone... anyone have a pencil? Only, I can't do it myself. Scared I might screw it up."

(It's my understanding that such a thing is possible, only it requires a master gunsmith to pull off. Those two things together, the cartridge conversion and the cylinder mod, would bring total reload time down to six seconds.)

"Rifle," he says. "Need a Sammy's Revolving Rifle. That's what we called 'em on my world anyway. With the best scope you can find me. And I'll need some cartridges."
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:28 AM   #42
Talosian

Quote:
Serena <Aloud>: “You know Mark, it’s nice to meet someone else who doesn’t automatically refer to me as an ‘It’ or ‘soulless imitation of life’ for a change etc. So, in answer to your question, yes, I do indeed have free will and am completely self-aware, and my name is Serena. In the Sentinel Project my fellow AI’s and I are called Overwatch AI’s, and we function as partners to each Sentinel. Our primary function is intelligence/counter-intelligence based, handling the tasks of route-finding, electronic warfare, and keeping track of objectives etc.”
"I'm Seann, nice to meet you too, Serena."

Quote:
"Name your price. Whatever you, individually, feel is a suitable price for doing this, if it's within my power to grant and I think that you've earnt it, you can have."

He reaches down into his bag and pulled out an armoured gauntlet. It looks like it has come off a suit of medieval armour, but it also looks new and... Slightly wrong. "I asked some people to make this for me. I couldn't make it myself. It took me fifty years and I had to break laws, not just government or civil but physical and temporal ones as well, in order to pay their price"
"Cover expenses and I should be fine, but... I'll keep that in mind." Seann looks carefully at the gauntlet before saying, "So... What is it?"

Quote:
"If you want some stuff like this before you begin then just tell me; it might take a couple of hours because we're limiting travel between here and the Western Harbour while Chu'dam is around, but I'll see what I can do."
"Thanks, but I travel well prepared."

Quote:
"The best advice I can give you at present is to track down how far the cult extends, what kind of history it has, and how to deal with Demons; it can vary depending on the universe you're in. For the last one... Father David Arad is the local priest. He has some interest in the occult, purely from a professional point of view. I haven't managed to speak to him yet, but he's probably you best bet unless the cult keeps some kind of library on demonology.

"For the others the college is a good bet. And as a starter on that... If you, without being obvious about it, take a look over at those students over there," he gestures vaguely in a manner that anyone not hearing the conversation would take to be random, "then you will see two important people." He glances at Gabrielle. "You might be able to help here; girl in the back corner trying not to be seen, and the guy sitting on the far left of that group closest to her. Can you get anything from either of them? Anyone see anything?"
Seann's expression sours slightly at the mention of the priest, "Don't much care for priests," he mutters. Seann leans back in his chair, looking around the room discreetly as he does so. He takes a careful look out of the corner of his eye at the two students who'd been indicated (Per 14, effective vision 15, HPA, Hyperspectral, etc.).

Quote:
"I can draw out how to do it," he grabs up a napkin, "Anyone... anyone have a pencil?"
Seann fishes a pen out of his pocket and hands it across the table, "Not a pencil, but it should work fine." (It's effectively a space pen.)
Talosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:36 AM   #43
Totem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDJ View Post
Douglas reaches into his duster and fiddles with the holster on his right (where he keeps his older revolver--the one he doesn't have Weapon Bond with). He hefts it around under the table, where he hopes nobody can see it. "They're both like that," he says. "I want a basic cartridge conversion. Easy enough. I could do it myself if I had the tools. And if you can, modify the cylinder to swing out, so I can reload it with a speedloader. I can draw out how to do it," he grabs up a napkin, "Anyone... anyone have a pencil? Only, I can't do it myself. Scared I might screw it up."
[Roll for Artist for the drawing and mechanic/ engineer to note the requirements. Accuracy of the final production (though not the quality) will depend on these.]

Quote:
(It's my understanding that such a thing is possible, only it requires a master gunsmith to pull off. Those two things together, the cartridge conversion and the cylinder mod, would bring total reload time down to six seconds.)

"Rifle," he says. "Need a Sammy's Revolving Rifle. That's what we called 'em on my world anyway. With the best scope you can find me. And I'll need some cartridges."
Ben considers for a moment. "I'll see what I can do on that one," he declares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talosian View Post
"Cover expenses and I should be fine, but... I'll keep that in mind." Seann looks carefully at the gauntlet before saying, "So... What is it?"
"Oh, it does all sorts of stuff... The main thing I had it for was reading a book; this gauntlet is the only safe way to touch the book. As for the other stuff..." He holds up the gauntlet, showing that it is a left handed gauntlet. He then puts it on his right hand. It's now right handed. "It can do all sorts of stuff. If you want to risk it you can borrow it; the only time I've managed to get physical with Chu'dam was using this to grab him when he became immanent in an area. Plus there's a whole load of other things like picking up on things... If you think that it'll help, and I can't say that it won't, then you can borrow it."

Quote:
Seann's expression sours slightly at the mention of the priest, "Don't much care for priests," he mutters.
"Could be tricky there," Ben admits. "Like I said, the only other even semi-reliable source of information is probably going to be Chu'dam's followers. You want to ask them how to kill their demon?"
Old 10-17-2010, 03:05 AM   #44
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
[Roll for Artist for the drawing and mechanic/ engineer to note the requirements. Accuracy of the final production (though not the quality) will depend on these.]
Douglas holds the pen and, taking his time (not knowing how long this could take, I don't know how much extra time he takes, but should be at least four times as long as normal for a +2 bonus), sketches out a drawing.

(I don't know what sort of difficulty modifier applies to this roll, so just rolling with his IQ-6 default and you can add that).

Artist 5 (3d6=9)

Hmm... he actually has machinist.

(Again, taking his time. And I don't know the difficulty on this.)

Machinist, 10 (3d6=12)

Edit: Might should have used the Armoury skill for that. I don't know. It says that's the one used for modifying weapons. And not only does he have that at one point higher skill level, but also at TL 7. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Last edited by ErhnamDJ; 10-17-2010 at 03:12 AM.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:12 AM   #45
KS Pathfinder

Quote:
"I'm Seann, nice to meet you too, Serena."
Serena smiles pleasantly and nods her head politely, even going so far as to curtsy.

Serena <Aloud>: “It’s nice to meet you too Seann.”
KS Pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:37 AM   #46
KS Pathfinder

Having listened in silence, mulling over everyone’s words, and hiding a pleased quirky smile at seeing the interaction between Serena and Seann, Mark-315 finally puts voice to his questions.

Mark-315<Aloud>: “The war with the Kreyt is over and the Sentinel Project shut down and moved to this Western Harbour you speak of... It would appear that Serena and I no longer have a purpose in the universe we call home.”

Quote:
"As for the payment," Ben continues. "Name your price. Whatever you, individually, feel is a suitable price for doing this, if it's within my power to grant and I think that you've earnt it, you can have."
*Looks at Ben* Mark-315<Aloud>: “I didn’t volunteer to become a Sentinel-IV for profit, more out of a duty to preserve humanity. However...” *Looks at the physical representation of Serena* “Having been a part of, and I assume still running the Sentinel Project, you know the fate of ‘smart’-AI’s in that universe, and that they have a limited lifespan... So I must ask, with these new revelations about you, is it within your power to save Serena from that fate. We have served together for so long, she is my partner... My friend.”

Mark-315<Aloud>: “As for me, even asking to go home to my home universe would be futile as there’s nothing left for me there now... So as the person in charge of the Sentinel Project at Western Harbour, you wouldn’t happen to be hiring errant Sentinel-IV’s would you?”

*Whilst waiting for Ben Foreman’s reply Mark-315 casually adjusts his sunglasses, which is actually a T.E.D. - Tactical Eye Display, using the move to covertly glance and observe the teenagers using not just his own vision but also is able to use the T.E.D. to use some of Serena’s own senses.*

(Mark-315 has a perception of 10 and is using the T.E.D.)
(Serena has a perception of 14 and infravision (granted to Mark-315 through the T.E.D.))

Last edited by KS Pathfinder; 10-17-2010 at 11:24 AM.
KS Pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 03:36 PM   #47
RogerBW

Quote:
"Heh," Ben laughs without humour. "I can understand that; there was a 60% mortality rating in the project that made me... That was once they got over the 100% mortality rating in the original version..."
"The volunteers weren't expecting any mortality rate at all. What can I say, we were young and stupid and idealistic - but I repeat myself."

Quote:
"As for Chu'dam... A couple of points to consider: Chu'dam is a demon. It feeds on people's souls; sorry if I didn't mention that, I forget that some people don't have ten millenia of experience like I do... Remind me if I get ahead of myself like that again. It's also a world-jumper, as I mentioned. Now, obviously a world-jumper that can feed on souls will eventually get bored of ruling a single world and go looking for others. Sooner or later, Chu'dam would catch up with you, or your home, or people that you've met. I'm asking you to stop him whilst he's relatively powerless.
"OK, now you're talking my language. Magical Nixon. Got it. As for rewards, I try not to carry too much stuff. But I could use a good map of the worlds. I've been to just a few of them, and a girl could get hurt not knowing what she was getting into..."

Quote:
"For the others the college is a good bet. And as a starter on that... If you, without being obvious about it, take a look over at those students over there," he gestures vaguely in a manner that anyone not hearing the conversation would take to be random, "then you will see two important people." He glances at Gabrielle. "You might be able to help here; girl in the back corner trying not to be seen, and the guy sitting on the far left of that group closest to her. Can you get anything from either of them? Anyone see anything?"
"I'll see what I can manage..."

[OOC: Gabrielle attempts Telereceive on each of them in turn: effective skill 14, but at -1 per yard, so she'll wander over in that direction - looking for some legitimate reason, maybe visiting the bathroom or stepping outside for a cigarette, and Telereceiving in passing from as close as she can get while not stepping out of the places people are walking. Rolls are 10 and 10, and this is a Quick Contest vs their Will to pick up surface thoughts. Once she's done, succeed or fail, she'll return to the others.]
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:53 AM   #48
Talosian

Quote:
"Oh, it does all sorts of stuff... The main thing I had it for was reading a book; this gauntlet is the only safe way to touch the book. As for the other stuff..." He holds up the gauntlet, showing that it is a left handed gauntlet. He then puts it on his right hand. It's now right handed. "It can do all sorts of stuff. If you want to risk it you can borrow it; the only time I've managed to get physical with Chu'dam was using this to grab him when he became immanent in an area. Plus there's a whole load of other things like picking up on things... If you think that it'll help, and I can't say that it won't, then you can borrow it."
Seann raises his eyebrows slightly, "Must have been an awfully good book." After a moments thought he speaks up again, "Well, I'd certainly like to take a look at it."

("If you want to risk it." Cheery and encouraging.)

Quote:
"Like I said, the only other even semi-reliable source of information is probably going to be Chu'dam's followers. You want to ask them how to kill their demon?"
"Well, a soul devouring beastie has got to have made some enemies. And the enemy of my enemy, et cetera."
Talosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:59 AM   #49
ErhnamDJ

Douglas thinks about that glove for a second, then looks up. "If that glove can hurt him, let's melt it down and make some bullets out of it. I'll make quick work of this fellow."
Old 10-18-2010, 12:23 PM   #50
Totem

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS Pathfinder View Post
*Looks at Ben* Mark-315<Aloud>: “I didn’t volunteer to become a Sentinel-IV for profit, more out of a duty to preserve humanity. However...” *Looks at the physical representation of Serena* “Having been a part of, and I assume still running the Sentinel Project, you know the fate of ‘smart’-AI’s in that universe, and that they have a limited lifespan... So I must ask, with these new revelations about you, is it within your power to save Serena from that fate. We have served together for so long, she is my partner... My friend.”

Mark-315<Aloud>: “As for me, even asking to go home to my home universe would be futile as there’s nothing left for me there now... So as the person in charge of the Sentinel Project at Western Harbour, you wouldn’t happen to be hiring errant Sentinel-IV’s would you?”
Ben considers with a faint smile. “I might... Ask me when we’re done here.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
"The volunteers weren't expecting any mortality rate at all. What can I say, we were young and stupid and idealistic - but I repeat myself."
Ben shrugs. “The 100% mortality rating was the volunteers. By the time they got to me they weren’t looking for willing victims, just willing parents.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
"OK, now you're talking my language. Magical Nixon. Got it. As for rewards, I try not to carry too much stuff. But I could use a good map of the worlds. I've been to just a few of them, and a girl could get hurt not knowing what she was getting into..."
“Fair enough,” Ben declares. “We’ve got records covering quite a few local universes, plus I can give you some really easy pointers on places not to go. As in, don’t head in that direction at all. More on that later,” he declares.

Quote:
Seann raises his eyebrows slightly, "Must have been an awfully good book." After a moments thought he speaks up again, "Well, I'd certainly like to take a look at it."

("If you want to risk it." Cheery and encouraging.)
“The book was a kind of universal cheat-sheet,” Ben declares as he tugs at the Gauntlet. It resists for a second before slipping off his hand. “And I mean universal. It had references for just about every permutation of the laws of physics that you could imagine, a complete reference for Block Transfer Computations... There was a lot of stuff in there.”

He hands over the Gauntlet. “I’ll want this back,” he says warningly. He then pulls out some sheets of paper from the bag. “This is... Well, it’s some notes that I made on how to use this thing. Or, at least some of what it’s capable of.”

Quote:
"Well, a soul devouring beastie has got to have made some enemies. And the enemy of my enemy, et cetera."
“Those enemies would be the God-fearing faithful and me so far,” Ben declares. “Chu’dam was stuck in one universe until I ended up there, and then he started following me once he realised that he was able to.”

Quote:
Douglas thinks about that glove for a second, then looks up. "If that glove can hurt him, let's melt it down and make some bullets out of it. I'll make quick work of this fellow."
Ben pauses for a moment, looking at Douglas carefully before replying. “I’m trying to work out whether you’re joking or not...”

Tags
pbp, world-jumping, worlds of fire