Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-06-2018, 05:19 PM   #1
mr beer

Default Dave Robicheaux (James Lee Burke): Stats

I thought I'd have a go at statting out Dave Robicheaux, Mr Burke's quixotic Louisiana creation.

Dave Robicheaux [123]

Basic Stats: ST: 10 HT: 11 DX: 12 IQ: 12 [50]

Advantages: Ally: Clete Purcel (Same points, 12 or less) [10]; Combat Reflexes [15], Contact Group: Police (Effective skill 12, 12 or less, Usually reliable) [20]; Street (Effective skill 12, 12 or less, Somewhat reliable) [10]; Law Enforcement [5]; Rank: Police 1 (Detective) [5] [65]

Disadvantages: Alcoholic (15 or less) [-7]; Bad Temper (15 or less) [-5], Bloodlust (9 or less) [-15], Code of Honour: Southern Gentleman [-5], Dependent (Wife, No more than 50%, Loved one, 6 or less) [-5] [-37]

Quirk: Distinctive Feature: White streak in hair [-1]

Skills: Area Knowledge: New Orleans [1]-12; Area Knowledge: Iberia Parish [1]-12; Boating: Unpowered [1]-12; Boating: Motorboat [1]-12; Body Language [1]-11; Brawling [2]-13, Boxing [4]-13, Criminology [2]-13; Detect Lies [2]-12; Driving: Automobile [1]-12; Fishing [1]-12; Forensics [1]-10; Guns-Pistol [1]-12, Guns-Rifle [1]-12; Interrogation [2]-12; Intimidation [2]-12; Leadership [1]-11; Literature [1]-11; Lockpicking [1]-11: Mechanic: Motorboat [1]-11; Observation [1]-11; Professional Skill: Police Detective [4]-14; Search [1]-11; Shadowing [1]-11; Stealth [1]-11 [36]

Comments on build:

Stats: Robicheaux is in ludicrously good shape for his advanced age. He’s at least 75 years old in the most recent book “Robicheaux” and is still bushwacking dangerous lowlifes with a pool cue and beating on rogue cops in bars until he has to be dragged off dripping blood.

ST 10 as he doesn’t seem to be unusually strong. HT 11 as he is in robust good health and takes hits when fighting. DX 12 as he was a Golden Gloves boxer and seems to run over most people easily in a fight. IQ 12 as he is smart and competent in his wide variety of skills.

Advantages: Combat Reflexes since he's ready to fight at the drop of a hat and is tough to bushwack, though it has happened. Seems to go with his general proficiency in combat. His Rank has varied over time I think. Currently he’s part time. Contact Groups seems like an overpriced Advantage but it seems appropriate since he always has people he can go and talk to, though he doesn’t always bother. Maybe it should be Contacts instead of Contact Group and who that person is varies depending on the book.

Disadvantages: I priced his Dependant problem as 6 or less since they don’t get threatened every book but could easily go 9 or less. His love interests tend to be long term, he marries them and then they die at some point but that’s not so much during an adventure, more a symptom of the tragedy of his life. Alafair is another potential Dependant but not as often.

Skills: Robicheaux has been an army lieutenant, a police detective, and a boat-and-bait shop owner. He has a lot of skills though I didn’t include Professional skill: military because it was so long ago and he didn’t seem to spend many years in the army.

Combat skills I went with Boxing because of his Golden Gloves background and he tends to beat on people with fists. He is a skilled 'dirty fighter' in that he often uses a blackjack or an improvised weapon in a fight so I went with Brawling. I can see Shortsword for some skill in using a nightstick but I think Brawling has a more appropriate feel. He uses both pistols and rifles, I don't think he's Annie Oakley though so went with a basic level here.

Last edited by mr beer; 09-06-2018 at 09:28 PM.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote