Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 08:19 AM   #51
Proteus

Default Re: The 2018 Digital Release Speculation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Well PK is according to rumors working on a "major project" and a "Fourth Edition conversion" so VDS would qualify for both.
Be nice to see that hit the virtual shelves!
But we've been told that PK is writing this project, and VDS (written by David Pulver) would be a job involving only editing.

I'm still of the mind that it's the long-stalled GURPS Girl Genius.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:48 AM   #52
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
Is that a follow-up to Bill Stoddard's GURPS Underground Adventures, with new rules, equipment, and scenarios for adventuring in basements?

:-)
Ooops

Quote:
But we've been told that PK is writing this project, and VDS (written by David Pulver) would be a job involving only editing.

Yeah, Kromm replied to that thread today, I'll update that after his Friday rumor updates (If any this week).
We may not hear anything from the usual sources this week or the next few due to his moving.
Good luck with that move Kromm! (I myself hate moving)
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 05-25-2018, 10:03 AM   #53
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:

Both of these projects could be characterized as "long-stalled":
  • GURPS Vehicle Design¹ was outlined in 2003, the subject of contract negotiations in 2004, officially on the books in 2005, and approaching a playtest-worthy draft in 2006 . . . after which it went through various iterations of playtesting, rewriting, and editing for 11 years.

• The Girl Genius Sourcebook and Roleplaying Game² was imagined in 2002, was officially on the books in 2005, and has been through the hands of several writing teams, with a hard stop for a while in 2009, followed by slow, slow progress for nine years.
Hard to say who wins.

Anyway, no, PK is not editing GURPS Vehicle Design. He is indeed writing. Whether he's writing the Girl Genius Sourcebook and Roleplaying Game, I leave to speculation. The last time people thought that, it turned out he was writing GURPS Mars Attacks.

1. Not "GURPS Vehicles" or "GURPS Vehicle Design System," for those looking to get the title right.
2. Not "GURPS Girl Genius," for those wondering, "GURPS sourcebook or Powered by GURPS game?"
Old 06-08-2018, 08:57 PM   #54
Refplace

And Kromm has survived his move!
His update today includes that the first draft of a new Social Engineering item arrived in house. I believe that is the first I have heard of it and listed it as such.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 06-09-2018, 06:31 PM   #55
Proteus

On a lark, I did a little research:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl Genius FAQ
How is that Girl Genius Role-Playing-Game-and-Sourcebook, Powered by GURPS coming along?

The project was dead for years, but as of late 2017, there is a new writer working on it. We'll announce more when there's something to announce
Hmmmm....

First news of PK’s large writing project came in the 8/28/2017 GURPS News... which was, of course, late 2017.

Coincidental? Quite possibly. But also interesting....
Old 06-10-2018, 01:06 PM   #56
Refplace

Quote:

Hmmmm....

First news of PK’s large writing project came in the 8/28/2017 GURPS News... which was, of course, late 2017.

Interesting and Ill add that link in. However I dont think so,
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...79&postcount=5
PK did start on it awhile back so may be writing it or the editor if they found a new writer.
However his current project is supposed to be conversion of a Third edition item. Though Girl Genius could have been written for Third Edition and hes converting it I think its more likely a published Third Edition book hes working with.

GURPS Cabal doesnt strike me as needing as much work as indicated but converting it to Monster Hunters would be neat and might require more time than I think. Maybe a seed like Phoenix Project?
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 06-10-2018, 08:40 PM   #57
Proteus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
However his current project is supposed to be conversion of a Third edition item.
See, I feel pretty confident that speculation is a fossil entry, referring to a misunderstood or cancelled project. Heck, the first link is so old that it doesn’t work any more, since the archived News (now on a different page) doesn’t even go that far back!

I’m unsure whether it’s a misunderstood reference to the 3e Reign of Steel conversion (which PK edited but did not write), or to the "marketing freebie" Kromm mentioned in a contemporaneous blog entry, which could have been the much-mooted conversion of Caravan to Ein Erris which... never happened.

A 4e Cabal would be interesting... but why wouldn’t SJG bring Ken Hite back to write it? It’s one of his famous works, and he updated the most recent edition of GURPS Horror, after all. I just don’t see any evidence, just wishing, for that direction of speculation.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:07 PM   #58
Refplace

Quote:
See, I feel pretty confident that speculation is a fossil entry, referring to a misunderstood or cancelled project. Heck, the first link is so old that it doesn’t work any more, since the archived News (now on a different page) doesn’t even go that far back!
I was looking but unable to find a recent Kromm post on the subject, I thought I recalled him addressing PKs project in the past few weeks.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 06-11-2018, 03:44 PM   #59
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:

Hmmmm....

For what it's worth, based on a conversation with a not-SJG-person at GenCon last year, I think you may be on to something.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:14 AM   #60
Refplace

I would like to have sources I can cite in those first sections. The rest of the thread is for our guesses, speculation and even wishful thinking.
That said if Douglas is willing to give me a sentence I can work with, even if he cant name the source I could put it in there.
Proteus,you may be right I just want to be careful about putting in our guesses in it. Make sense?

Douglas your blog update is now included.
https://gamingballistic.com/2018/06/...dgment-update/
My GURPS Wiki entries
Closed Thread