Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 05-15-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
Methariel

Default I hope there are no iconoclasts here,...

...and I know that from time to time, inevitably, a thread like this one comes up. As you all can see, the time has come, again. ;)

I was thinking about which prominent (or semi-prominent) living actors I'd choose if I had to present my players a picture representing their Superior. And yes, I must admit that I also wondered whom I'd cast for which part in an "IN"-movie. (But sometimes, I just went for faces instead of talent, since I don't know one or two of the actors presented here.)

Also, I have to acknowledge the great help my sister (who's very fond of "In Nomine", too) gave me while I was thinking about this thread, since she's seen many more films than me and so knows of a lot of actors more than I do.

I hope you enjoy the list and I'd appreciate commendation and critique as well, although I'd like to remind you that "YMMV" counts here. And remember, sometimes it's just been faces and bodies, not character and talent. But enough for now, let's get to the list:

Archangels

Blandine: Nicole Kidman (or, if she was alive, Grace Kelly)

David: Christopher Judge (TeaI'c from "Stargate")

Dominic: is always cloaked (on the Corporeal Plane, too), but he'd have to have Christopher Lee's voice

Eli: Peter Williams ("Apophis" in Stargate: SG 1)

Gabriel: Jennifer Connelly (or, if she needs to be a little older, Demi Moore)

Janus: Adam Baldwin

Jean: Edward Norton (such a versatile actor)

Jordi: must be portrayed via pictures and accordingly special effects (insect swarm, many, many rats etc.) and/or trained animals

Laurence: Christian Bale

Marc: Pierce Brosnan (or Hugh Jackman, if he'd need to be younger, although they both would have to step back if Cary Grant was still alive)

Michael: Mel Gibson (the artists already seem to be inspired by him...)

Novalis: Cate Blanchett

Yves: Sir Ian McKellen

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Demon Princes

Andrealphus: Jaye Davidson ("Ra" from Stargate: The Movie; as androgynous as you want your Prince of Lust to be...)

Asmodeus: Anthony Hopkins

Baal: either Robert DeNiro (for "Hell's Grizzled War-leader") or John Leguizamo (for "Hell's Smooth, Polite Killer")

Beleth: Tilda Swinton

Belial: Jeremy Piven

Haagenti: John Goodman (although he's more of a stopgap, I don't know anyone else who'd fit)

Kobal: Vincent Cassel

Kronos: Patrick Stewart (I liked it when Sir McKellen and he were talking with each other in the "X-Men"-movies, and now this "relationship" would just be reversed;
on top, I always imagined Kronos to be somehow impaired, maybe sitting in a wheelchair or needing a cane...)

Lilith: Salma Hayek or Penélope Cruz (brother and sister weren't able to agree on whom)

Malphas: Michael Caine

Nybbas: Jim Carrey

Saminga: Adam Sandler (with some make-up on his face)

Valefor: Johnny Depp (although I'm not sure how he'd handle this Prince's occasional violence)

Vapula: Ken Watanabe (again, he'd need make-up and/or a mask)

And for playing the Lord of Darkness I'd choose

Al Pacino.

(Be serious. Who else could've been it? ;) )

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know I left away the Minor Superiors. But, as you all know, I don't really like them.

With best regards,

M.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:56 PM   #2
Notdan

Default Re: I hope there are no iconoclasts here,...

I like Ian McKellan for Yves, but think that Derek Jacobi would be an even better choice.

Johnny Depp should play Janus and Valefor.

Kobal is clearly voiced by Mark Hamil - though, canonically, he'd need to be played by a different actor every time he appears.

Lilith should be the young Diana Rigg. (She'd also make a good Zadkiel, thinking about it.)

Christopher could be Noah Gray-Cabey from Heroes.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Blandine -- Amy Adams,for the palpable sense of hope that clings to her in every role. If an older actress is required, either Helena Bonham-Carter or Emma Thompson (the latter especially is good for mysterious wisdom and weary optimism.)

Christopher -- I'm going to break with canon here -- rather than a child, I think the Archangel of Children looks like a much-loved parent or a favorite uncle. Liam Neeson, perhaps.

David -- Samuel L. Jackson.

Dominic -- It's cliche', but I still have to go with the voice of James Earl Jones.

Eli -- Peter Williams would be good, but I could also see Craig Charles (Lister from "Red Dwarf")

Gabriel -- Angelina Jolie. Few people could do the "disturbed" aspect quite as well.

Janus -- Not sure yet -- it's gotta be someone who's both fit (if not burly) and possessed of amazing energy. (Hugh Jackman comes to mind for some reason, though I'm not convinced yet. And Notdan's idea of Johnny Depp for him and Vaelfor *is* pretty awesome.)

Jean -- Peter Graves (even though I'm tempted to cast him as Lucifer)

Jordi -- I agree, this will be a triumph of CGI. But any ideas for a voice?

Khalid -- If he were younger, I would go for Omar Sharif in a heartbeat. I'm not quite sure what contemporary actor would be up to the role; it's more challenging than it looks.

Laurence -- I had never thought of Christian Bale as a possibility. But I have to agree enthusiastically; he's perfect physically and in terms of portraying the personality.

Litheroy -- My favorite candidate is long gone -- this role was made for Alec Guinness. Peter Falk might be a possibility. ;)

Marc -- Pierce Brosnan would be good. So would Antonio Banderas. ("Charm!")

Michael -- If we could somehow get the attitude of Clint Eastwood in the body of Arnold Schwarzenegger ...

Novalis -- I'm gonna go with Meryl Streep. She can make it work (especially the teasing nature of the Archangel of Flowers.)

Yves -- Ian McKellan would be wonderful, I agree -- but I wish we could set the resurrect-o-tron to get Jack Lemmon back.

Zadkiel -- Not sure. Maybe Uma Thurman. But maybe not. (The part's gotta be both tough and motherly, and I'm not sure who fills that role.)

I'll take on the Princes later, but I'll make one note now: Catherine Zeta-Jones has to be Lilith.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"

Last edited by Rocket Man; 05-15-2009 at 02:40 PM.
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:04 PM   #4
Notdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man
Zadkiel -- Not sure. Maybe Uma Thurman. But maybe not.
Definitely not. She's already butchered one of my heroines.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:16 PM   #5
Rocket Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notdan
Definitely not. She's already butchered one of my heroines.
I was thinking more of "Kill Bill." (I don't think anyone would willingly remember the film version of "The Avengers" except under CIA torture.) As I said, though, I'm not sold yet.

EDIT: Though now that I think about it, there's always Lucy Lawless. :)

Last edited by Rocket Man; 05-15-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:42 PM   #6
Methariel

Thank you for the answers that you've given until now. And good to see that you like some of my ideas. (And I must admit that having Johnny Depp play both Janus and Valefor is, although he's not burly, awesome. But it would be difficult to explain to the audience that this does not necessarily mean that it's the same being...)

Looking at Dominic, I don't know how the voice of J.E. Jones sounds since I just know his dubbing voice, so I think I have to listen to a soundpiece of him. But what do you think of Christopher Lee as dubbing artist for our dear Archangel of Judgment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man
I'll take on the Princes later, but I'll make one note now: Catherine Zeta-Jones has to be Lilith.
I thought of her at first. Her attitude really seems to fit and to carry over into dubbed versions unharmed. But I think somebody who doesn't look as "caucasian" (is that the correct term?) as she does would fit better, since Lilith is from what is now the Middle East, if I'm not mistaken.

But please keep on commenting, I really like it.

M.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:10 PM   #7
ladyarcana55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methariel
I thought of her at first. Her attitude really seems to fit and to carry over into dubbed versions unharmed. But I think somebody who doesn't look as "caucasian" (is that the correct term?) as she does would fit better, since Lilith is from what is now the Middle East, if I'm not mistaken.
Does it really matter? I thought all of the Superiors can look any way they want to?
ladyarcana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:56 PM   #8
Rocket Man

Quote:
Looking at Dominic, I don't know how the voice of J.E. Jones sounds since I just know his dubbing voice, so I think I have to listen to a soundpiece of him. But what do you think of Christopher Lee as dubbing artist for our dear Archangel of Judgment?
I like it -- but in a way, I'd like him even more as either Malphas (the master manipulator) or Saminga (the melodramatic Lord of the Dead). Both fit aspects of his prior movie career very, very well. :)

Quote:
I thought of (Zeta-Jones) at first. Her attitude really seems to fit and to carry over into dubbed versions unharmed. But I think somebody who doesn't look as "caucasian" (is that the correct term?) as she does would fit better, since Lilith is from what is now the Middle East, if I'm not mistaken.
After seeing the Welsh CZJ play a Spanish aristocrat in The Mask of Zorro, I'd be willing to bet that she could pull this off. (That was the first film I ever saw her in and when I saw the name of the actress afterward, my response was "You mean she's *not* Latina?")

Last edited by Rocket Man; 05-15-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:10 PM   #9
Methariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyarcana55
Does it really matter? I thought all of the Superiors can look any way they want to?
It is not really a question of the ability of Superiors to change their shape/use another Vessel (although Lilith might be a special case), but a question of who/whose face fits best (although opinions might differ here). :)

M.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:39 PM   #10
Rocket Man

A couple more thoughts that I had to add:

Kobal -- Nathan Lane. Who better for a comedian who's starting to get tired of the jokes? (Though Mark Hamill *would* be a great voice actor in the role.)

Beleth -- Either Kathy Bates or Janeane Garofalo. (Yes, I'm serious about that latter one, she can have a spooky intensity when she wants to.)

Kronos -- Patrick Stewart would probably be my first choice as well, though I'm also drawn to Ben Kingsley's aura of quiet menace.

Haagenti -- Robbie Coltrane.

Vapula -- Oh, what a pity that Vincent Price is dead! I guess Tim Curry or Christopher Lloyd will have to do. (Though Tim may be lobbying for Andrealphus.)

Mammon -- James Gandolfini.

Belial -- Woody Harrelson or Billy Bob Thornton ... someone who can go off the deep end like a slasher in a horror flick. (Robert Englund gets a dark horse candidacy.)

Asmodeus -- Can't argue with Anthony Hopkins. And you might regret trying ...

Nybbas -- Agreed on Jim Carrey.

Of course, in every case, we're talking about favored vessels/hosts or how Hollywood would represent their appearance -- if we tried to represent their true (i.e., celestial) forms, we'd *really* need some good CGI.

Tags
pop culture, superiors