Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 11-25-2018, 10:01 AM   #1
SJF

Default Midville maps

I want to purchase Crash City for the Midville maps so I can print them out. However, the preview of the maps on warehouse 23 look terrible. Are there any other later products that come with them that I might be able to find for sale as a PDF? I bought the Midville adventure pack, but that only includes new expansion maps.
SJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 10:35 AM   #2
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: Midville maps

Perhaps relevant.

http://www.sjgames.com/ill/archive/N...The_Pocket_Box
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:38 AM   #3
SJF

Very cool! However, I already own the original maps, and I'd like to have PDFs so I can print them out and have no fold lines.
SJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:00 AM   #4
swordtart

You are probably better off generating your own electronic maps. I am not sure copying SJG's town layouts is legitimate but there is nothing stopping you generating your own versions (maybe copying your own town).

Putting on a grid is easy enough even in MS Paint, just draw a box and copy and paste it together - just make sure you get the dimensions of that first box exactly square or it will end badly. You can then just use the fill button with various shades of grey.

More sophisticated graphics packages will simplify this process. I use Inkscape and superimpose a grid on google earth overhead maps of real places.

Don't sweat the scale unduly, you can always scale PDF's of the counters to the map rather than vice-versa. If you end up with 1/213 the scale it probably won't kill anyone.

It's far less hassle than trying to join up wonky scans and get the grids to match (been there and nearly smashed my computer in frustration).
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:36 PM   #5
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJF View Post
I want to purchase Crash City for the Midville maps so I can print them out. However, the preview of the maps on warehouse 23 look terrible. Are there any other later products that come with them that I might be able to find for sale as a PDF? I bought the Midville adventure pack, but that only includes new expansion maps.
Try the Deluxe Edition for the initial two. The Midville supplement for the other four.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:03 AM   #6
Blue Ghost

Don't Midville games tend to be all day marathons? I've only ever done one, and it lasted well over six hours.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 05:38 AM   #7
swordtart

Every CW game I ever played lasted more than 6 hours ;)
Old 11-29-2018, 06:20 AM   #8
swordtart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
Try the Deluxe Edition for the initial two. The Midville supplement for the other four.
I have all those and don't recall the scans of the maps to be any less wonky than others (and to be fair I didn't really expect them to be any different). If memory serves the City blocks maps were better (as they were on discrete pages anyway they may have been easier to scan).

It would be nice if the Midville maps could be re-rendered as official fully digital offerings (having done it myself for personal use*, it didn't take that much time and I was using a free graphics package to do it). It would be nice to have all the maps, but Midville is so iconic (and nicely self contained).

* And no I won't be supplying my renders to anyone else as it would be copyright infringement.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:41 PM   #9
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
Don't Midville games tend to be all day marathons? I've only ever done one, and it lasted well over six hours.
I've always been a big fan of the "Flaming Idiots" scenario; that one never took much longer than an ordinary arena duel, even with the "police involvement" option. "Crusaders" can be a bit long, if the Cyclist player tries to use conventional tactics; mine usually involved FOGs en-masse to score points for property destruction (how many MONDOs have fire extinguishers?). Now, if one wants a stone-cold nightmare of a scenario, try "Nightsword" with "O'Sea is at home"....

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:55 PM   #10
Blue Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
*snip*
(how many MONDOs have fire extinguishers?).
In this neighborhood? 'Must be hundreds >:)

Admittedly I've never done all of Midville, just the section that came with Sunday Drivers. I mean I've put both "halves" together, but I've never done a game in "all" of Midville. But I keep hearing stories about it.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote