Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-28-2015, 01:49 AM   #1
Humabout

Default Slams and Dual-Weapon Attack

It surfaced in tonight's game that Dual-Weapon Attack isn't prohibited by the slam rules. Has anyone else come across this? What are your thoughts on it? Would you allow them to be combined in your game?

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:51 AM   #2
Erling

Default Re: Slams and Dual-Weapon Attack

I wouldn't allow it. It just doesn't make sense.
Wave your arms and shout.
Erling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 03:29 AM   #3
Dinadon

In Martial Arts there are two cases that cover Dual-Weapon Attack and slams. One is Slams With Long Weapons, which is a combined variation of both. The other is Slams as All-Out Attacks, which clarifies how AOA:Double works with slams (only one attack can be the slam), but this can easily be applied to Dual-Weapon Attack as well.
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:20 AM   #4
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
Would you allow them to be combined in your game?
Yes. It covers things like punching the enemy just before you shoulder check him. Or punching some other enemy before you shoulder the guy your running at.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:29 AM   #5
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinadon View Post
In Martial Arts there are two cases that cover Dual-Weapon Attack and slams. One is Slams With Long Weapons, which is a combined variation of both. The other is Slams as All-Out Attacks, which clarifies how AOA:Double works with slams (only one attack can be the slam), but this can easily be applied to Dual-Weapon Attack as well.
But why would a guy with a sword be unable to slam-and-attack without an AoA, while a guy with two knives could slam-and-attack but only with one knife?
Old 10-28-2015, 09:32 AM   #6
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
But why would a guy with a sword be unable to slam-and-attack without an AoA, while a guy with two knives could slam-and-attack but only with one knife?
Why wouldn't he? Slam with the left shoulder, swing with the right sword. DWA penalties as usual.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:35 AM   #7
Mailanka

I think it's more likely that you could either slam or AoA Slam, which allows one attack. That one attack can be either a dual weapon attack, or a rapid strike.

Quote:
Why wouldn't he? Slam with the left shoulder, swing with the right sword. DWA penalties as usual.
Because then he would do it all the time, and that's just weird. Or... would he need to buy dwa(slam/knife) to buy off the penalty? So the reason he might not is because he suffers a -6 (or whatever the dwa penalty was, IDHMBWM). Still, I like my solution better.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:38 PM   #8
Bruno

DWA is a technique bought on a skill level, not on a skill combination level, at least to my knowledge. ie DWA (Brawling) is a separate technique from DWA (Broadsword), not DWA (Brawling/Broadsword)

You definitely don't specify "Brawling slam" any more than you specify "Broadsword thrust". The penalty is -4

You may be thinking of Combinations, which buy off the -6 penalty for Rapid Strikes, and do have to be very specific.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 03:04 PM   #9
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
Because then he would do it all the time, and that's just weird.
When I was in school and fighting all the time that was my favorite move: Punch + Hip Check. Being that I tended to be heavier than the guys I fighting (they'd have height, I had mass) it usually put them on their butt, which made it easier to beat on them, or turn from them and wallop their buddy a bit.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 01:26 AM   #10
Humabout

So just to complicate things even more, let's take an All-Out Attack (Double), where the PC moves his full Move and slams. He also makes a second attack - it's a AoA (Double). Is the second attack treated as a Move and Attack for the purpose of skill caps and what not? How would you tackle this?

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote