Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-06-2019, 01:27 AM   #1
pgb

Default Defaults for technological skills

I'm sure this ought to be obvious, but: do the Tech-Level modifiers for /TL skills (pB168) define defaults for the purpose of buying multiple /TL versions of the same skill? That is, if I know a skill at one TL, can I buy the same skill more cheaply at another TL as a result?

Thanks,

Paul.
pgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 04:46 AM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Defaults for technological skills

Yes, although this is much more useful going downwards on the TL scale. For example, going from Surgery/TL8 to Surgery/TL7 is only -1, and buying that up from the default might well be worthwhile.

Going up from Surgery/TL8 to Surgery/TL9 is -5, and learning the skill at the new TL may be more practical. Of course, this requires buying up your TL, and/or acquiring Cutting-Edge Training perks.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:51 AM   #3
pgb

Thanks for the quick reply. That does make sense, and I thought something like that had to hold. All caveats duly noted, thanks.

Out of interest, is it stated explicitly somewhere? The box on Tech-Level Modifiers never uses the word "default", and the /TL versions don't seem to be explicitly called "specialties". Not complaining, just curious...

Paul.
Old 10-06-2019, 06:13 AM   #4
Kubby

You can also take note of the Anachronistic Training technique (Infinite Worlds, p. 183), which reduces TL penalties for the skill used at a lower TL than TL of the version known by the PC.
Kubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 02:33 PM   #5
pgb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubby View Post
You can also take note of the Anachronistic Training technique (Infinite Worlds, p. 183), which reduces TL penalties for the skill used at a lower TL than TL of the version known by the PC.
Good point. That is actually going to be more efficient in lots of cases. Thanks!