Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 06-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #71
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: [OCC]: Space Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post

(learned talents act like they are skill points, but have no reaction bonus and don't effect learning times. You can trade for them in play and they don't have the cap.
Oh, COOL YAY!!!
Quote:
You can't use them on 5 pointers though)
Oh, bummer.. Boooo! lol
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #72
the_matrix_walker

Given the cool talent growth potential, I may trade in my 5 point Talents for improvable options...

What do you think of:

Man of Influence -- 10 points/Level

Acting, Administration, Body Language, Detect Lies, Diplomacy, Fast-Talk, Intimidation, Merchant, Propaganda, Savoir-Faire, Sex Appeal, and Streetwise.

Reaction Bonus: Merchants and anyone who sees you "work your Magic"
Old 06-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #73
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Given the cool talent growth potential, I may trade in my 5 point Talents for improvable options...

What do you think of:

Man of Influence -- 10 points/Level

Acting, Administration, Body Language, Detect Lies, Diplomacy, Fast-Talk, Intimidation, Merchant, Propaganda, Savoir-Faire, Sex Appeal, and Streetwise.

Reaction Bonus: Merchants and anyone who sees you "work your Magic"
I'm not sure what Administration is doing on the list, and sex appeal looks a little odd too. The others are fine. I'd rename it "haggler" though. All but the two mentioned are what you expect out of a cunning merchant (even propaganda: its called advertising!)

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:02 PM   #74
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Bedard View Post
Okay, Talent-wise, I was planning on using Jack of all trades & Cybernetists. this way, I get a boost in "all" skills instead of having millions of little ones.
No jack of all trades. sorry. If you want millions of little ones, pay for them.

Quote:
Also, if we're playing PC's from Aqua, does the effects of the planetary difference influence us? example: Comtox, 50 years ago would be 6'3", but fast-forward 2 generations, and we have an adapted Comtox at 5'7". Keeping in mind that Comtox could have been different gravities (given him a taller body).
I was planning on using the same heights.

Quote:
FYI: the Payload in the leg was specifically for a housed computer, enabeling Comtox to "work" anywhere.
I thought it was something like that: its included as equipment.

Quote:
Bionic Leg (Right; -6)
Lame(legless) (mitigator; -70%)
Bionic Eye (Left; +4 )
Accessory (Video Display) [1]; Nictitating Membrane 2 (One eye, -50%) [1]; Night
Vision 2 (Temporary Disadvantages, Electrical and No Depth Perception, -35%) [2];
Telescopic Vision 1 (Temporary Disadvantages, Electrical and No Depth Perception, -35%)
[4];
One Eye (Mitigator, -70%) [-4].
should read:
Quote:
Lame(legless) (mitigator; -70%) [-6]
One Eye (Mitigator, -70%) [-4]
The rest of it is considered equipment, whether its something you wear 24/7 or not.

Quote:
Intolerance (Religious Belief) (-5)
please elaborate

Quote:
Cultural familiarity (Aqua?) (0)
Terran. Western if you prefer. They haven't drifted too much.

Quote:
Main language that everyone has (Native) (0)
English

Quote:
Debt 5 (Loans) (-5)
You're leaving the system. Debt is not appropriate (and you have a ton of cash anyways)

Quote:
Status 0 (-5)
huh? do you mean status -1?

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 06-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #75
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
I'm not sure what Administration is doing on the list, and sex appeal looks a little odd too. The others are fine. I'd rename it "haggler" though. All but the two mentioned are what you expect out of a cunning merchant (even propaganda: its called advertising!)
Well, "Man of Influence" started with the influence skills (which includes Sex Appeal) and getting along and managing people while running a business is Administration. I almost included finance, as that involves influencing people to invest, and gambling, but I wanted to keep it under the 13 skill/15 point threshold (15 point talents are only practical if they involve both IQ and DX based skills, otherwise, just buy IQ or DX and sell off will or BS)

I think my interpretation is a bit different than yours based on your renaming suggestion...

But post it on back (or PM me) the way you like if you want to modify it, and I'll decide if I still want it. ;)
Old 06-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #76
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

hmm... thinking it over... rereading skill descriptions.... hmmm.

"Man of influence" still bugs me as a poor description. "Haggler","Salesman", or "Talker" seems to fit better.

Administration is fine, as long as you don't try to use it for logistics. (which shouldn't come up). I guess Sex Appeal fits. It shouldn't break anything.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #77
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
hmm... thinking it over... rereading skill descriptions.... hmmm.

"Man of influence" still bugs me as a poor description. "Haggler","Salesman", or "Talker" seems to fit better.

Administration is fine, as long as you don't try to use it for logistics. (which shouldn't come up). I guess Sex Appeal fits. It shouldn't break anything.
I'd call "talker" the closest, but there is a 5 point talent in Mysteries by that name... I'll go with "Born Talker" to show the distinction.

Reaction Bonus: People he talks to!
Old 06-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #78
Talosian

Quote:
Reaction Bonus: People he talks to!
That's the equivalent of Charisma, which is five points on its own...
Talosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #79
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talosian View Post
Agreed... I'm going to give it the same bonus as smooth operator (its really close it smooth operator anyways, except that its not a ripoff).

Also, Can we at least make a decision on whether or not your character has the modifications?

Old 06-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #80
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talosian View Post
I was half joking... Though charisma works on everyone of any race and culture and even comes across body language without a common language, not just who you are talking to...that's actually a very big difference. Many talents give a reaction to any who see you do your thing, this thing is a verbal dance...

Look at Voice... +2 to Diplomacy, Fast-Talk, Mimicry, Performance, Politics, Public Speaking, Sex Appeal, and Singing (Very much like 2 levels of a 8 skill talent for the 6 skill price), with the +2 reaction modifier applying to anyone hearing your voice (and anyone hearing your voice is much broader than "the person you're talking to")

Quote:
Agreed... I'm going to give it the same bonus as smooth operator (its really close it smooth operator anyways, except that its not a ripoff).
Anything but that! Please! I'd much rather a reaction bonus I could apply to business to help me haggle... Smooth Operator's only works when you're NOT dealing with them.

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 06-05-2013 at 04:01 PM.

Tags
space merchant