Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-17-2018, 03:02 PM   #31
tbeard1999

Default Re: Blasphemous Polyhedral Weapons Table

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post
Yes, I would love to see your old Martial Arts supplement for TFT, please post it if you like.
Update - I found it. 7 meticulously handwritten pages on loose leaf notebook paper from 1981. In a battered cardboard folder (the kind with bendable metal brads to hold the paper). I can barely make out “TFT:ITL” written on the cover. I’ll transcribe it and post. It’s actually better than I remembered. But it was definitely written for an audience familiar with actual martial arts.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 12:32 AM   #32
JLV

Quote:
Ty, JLV;

I cannot believe how much the three of us have in common.

Were you two guys also big in to Shaw Bros. movies? Specifically: The Venom Mob, from the 5 Deadly Venoms movie (i.e. Kuo Chui, Chiang Sheng, Lo Meng, etc, etc,)?

We ran a few Venom Mob flavored TFT adventures more than once, what a blast wiping up the place with UCI-V; but we really LOVED Kung-Fu 2100 with the "Terminators". We had to make our own copy by xeroxing the game out of TSG, and we played it until our home-made counters were so smudged they were unreadable LOL!
Oh MAN. the Venom Mob! LOL! I haven't thought of that in YEARS!!! (Decades, actually...) Now I have to get on facebook and remind Al, Scott and Hector about those movies! ;-) Thanks for sending me back down that memory lane!

And a huge YES to Kung-Fu 2100 (I even had all the skills from that as "advanced martial arts" for my TFT campaign). Now THERE'S a game I wish Steve would produce again! (Of note, there IS an older GURPS splat book about the world of the Terminators, which translates the skills into GURPS terms, and even has the basic scenario from the game set up in there (with a few preliminary events). Well worth acquiring and reading if you loved Kung-Fu 2100!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 12:47 AM   #33
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
Tae Kwon Do exploded in popularity in the 1970s and East Texas was no exception. There were no credentialed Chinese martial arts schools in my area. A Shotokan school opened in 1981, a generic kickboxing school had been around since the early 1970s and in 1982, an Isshin Ryu school opened.
I was fortunate. For some reason, Margaret King-Wun Chang moved to El Paso in the late 70's and set up a studio to teach Wu style T'ai Chi. She was apparently about the third highest rated master of the art in Hong Kong, back in the day. She kept threatening to send me and another student (we both eventually became instructors in her school) to Hong Kong to "meet" the Grand Master... Fortunately I soon joined the USAF and was able to avoid that event! (Meeting the Grand Master meant doing something called "entering the door" -- which meant you had to outfight the Grand Master in order to get into the room. Neither of us was thrilled with THAT idea, since we knew we were nowhere near as good as Margaret was! ;-) ).

I picked up about a year's worth of Wing Tsun from a visiting master who showed up one day and claimed hospitality with Margaret. Within a week or two, he set up his own little studio and started teaching -- mostly in the park next door. He taught a couple of us on the side; sticky hands, the forms, the one-inch punch, the whole bit. Surprisingly there was a lot of transference between T'ai Chi and Wing Tsun -- both were really "soft" arts, and had a tremendous amount in common. Wing Tsun, of course, was designed originally back in the 30's as a way to quickly learn enough techniques to defeat Japanese martial artists (who were busy invading China at the time), so by the time you finished six months of Wing Tsun, you were "supposed to" be able to beat a black belt Karateka. Never had the chance to find out for myself, though...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 12:53 AM   #34
Jim Kane
Banned

No doubt it also included smashing forearms during Lop Sau/Bong Sau drilling and Pak Sau's that sound like M-80s going off (heh heh heh) - Not the most ideal way to visit the mysterious orient... depending on you point-of-view LOL!

Last edited by Jim Kane; 03-23-2018 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Eradication of the Employment of Erroneous Grammatical Thingies
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:09 PM   #35
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
... (Meeting the Grand Master meant doing something called "entering the door" -- which meant you had to outfight the Grand Master in order to get into the room...
Do you also recall the movie ,The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (aka Master Killer); starring Gordon Liu?

This is another martial arts film that had a distinctly TFT Death Test vibe!

JK
Old 03-20-2018, 05:50 AM   #36
David Bofinger

Quote:
Shouldn't a 16 ST Fighter use a "ST-Appropriate" set of Nunchaku; which would be different than the ST-Minimum example Nunchaku presented on the table which a Halfling might use?
I agree they should, and in fact I think every weapon should work this way.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:06 PM   #37
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bofinger View Post
I agree they should, and in fact I think every weapon should work this way.
Do you actually mean crossbows; when you say "every weapon"?

Specify please.

Thanks

JK
Old 03-20-2018, 01:59 PM   #38
Rick_Smith

Default Funny, funny dice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
Something I’d like to avoid if at all possible is a damage spread that results in weapons doing zero damage. Since we don’t have readily available 14, 16 and 18 sided dice, I had to use d20s and do a little subtraction ...
Hi Ty, everyone.
I DO have a d14 and d16. (I've never seen a d18 tho.) :-(

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 04:03 PM   #39
David Bofinger

Quote:
Do you actually mean crossbows; when you say "every weapon"?
I mean every, or at least pretty much every weapon: there might be the occasional oddball exception. I mean that if the Roman army is going to issue every soldier with a gladius then that should kind of make sense, even if some characters have ST 10 and some have ST 14, and that the character with ST 14 should be more effective (in practice, do more damage) even though both of them are using a gladius. And that this principle should apply to basically every weapon, with a suggested extensive list of weapons given here. Including crossbows, though why you thought I was talking about them specifically I'm not sure.

Obviously this is house rule rewrite territory, not "let's talk Steve into putting this in the new edition of TFT".
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 04:40 PM   #40
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bofinger View Post
I mean every, or at least pretty much every weapon ... Including crossbows, though why you thought I was talking about them specifically I'm not sure.
For the simple reason that in your original statement, you specifically used the word: "every"; meaning: used to refer to all the individual members of a set without exception. And that, by definition, would include Crossbows - which, being mechanically actuated and powered by stored energy - and making no difference who pulls the trigger in terms of damage delivered; therefore, qualified your original statement of: "I think every weapon should work this way." as it relates to scaling delivered damage to a users ST, as: non-sequitur.

Therefore, trying to follow your reasoning, I sought clarification so I could follow you point accurately.

Though it does raise the question regarding reflex-curve bows, and the ST of the user who physically pulls the bow-string, and how fully they can pull it; and what the reduction from maximum delivered damage would be, if actuated by someone who does not meet the ST minimum for that bow.

JK

Last edited by Jim Kane; 03-20-2018 at 05:49 PM.