Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 06-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #51
Talosian

Default Re: [OCC]: Space Merchant

Quote:
Its green and somewhat leafy. so yeah.
Somewhat leafy? O_o How much is somewhat?

Quote:
Its representing in part the effect of a man speaking so far above his range. It might just count as a distinctive feature, but it would drive me nuts to here. Think "chipmunk voices" (which are usually only one octave higher).
Huh... There's something going on here that I just don't get. I sing in a choir, and though I can't read music for squat, I know that going up one octave shouldn't inherently give you the chipmunk effect...

Quote:
Do we pay the captain rent? Or does he find a crew use for (some of) us?
Well, Gabriel has Merchant at 14, and is good with people, whereas Ezra is useless as a merchant, but still gets cargo space. I'd guess that part of your job is probably to get everyone good deals, and keep things profitable.
Talosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:35 PM   #52
samd6

I'm guessing that the cargo space is considered part (but not all) of our pay.
I've got Merchant (ship parts), but I kinda meant for that to be buying spares for when something breaks.
Not entirely sure how I want to store the bulk of my wealth, will have something later.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:50 AM   #53
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Since I assume Long Rang Comms exist, but are not common, I think that will be my primary trade item (lets say, half my cargo space). If possible, I will just carry the rare-hard to construct components (if I'm lucky that means a chip or circuit board) that would allow most backward colonies to integrate them into existing systems or construct the easy to manufacture parts required for the working model (maybe I'll have my drone programmed to construct them!). Not only can I profit from the comms, but I can help establish long range contact and future trade.

I'll devote some space to other similar hard to manufacture components as is possible and profitable...
Comm range is about 100 light hours. The chips aren't the hard part, they involve warp-field tech. They aren't rare, but are rather expensive. They're a decent choice, but not quite "long range, despite the fact they'll cover a system quite nicely (Pluto is about 8 light hours from the sun).

(setting up a chain of them between stars is feasible but beyond his financial capability)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talosian View Post
Somewhat leafy? O_o How much is somewhat?
half inch leaves are about as abundant as hair. there's a basic undercoat under that thats better sealed.

Quote:
Huh... There's something going on here that I just don't get. I sing in a choir, and though I can't read music for squat, I know that going up one octave shouldn't inherently give you the chipmunk effect...
It depends on how your voice is modified. the chipmunk effect is achieved by doubling all frequencies (played around with recordings to be sure of that). going up an octave is often the difference between a man and a woman, and you can usually tell whose voice is whose immediately. We're going up two octaves. Singing also behaves differently from other speech. If you want, we can charge a half value version of disturbing voice at -1 to the listed skills.

Quote:
Well, Gabriel has Merchant at 14, and is good with people, whereas Ezra is useless as a merchant, but still gets cargo space. I'd guess that part of your job is probably to get everyone good deals, and keep things profitable.
Quote:
I've got Merchant (ship parts), but I kinda meant for that to be buying spares for when something breaks.
Not entirely sure how I want to store the bulk of my wealth, will have something later.
Quote:
Do we pay the captain rent? Or does he find a crew use for (some of) us?
Quote:
Originally Posted by samd6 View Post
I'm guessing that the cargo space is considered part (but not all) of our pay.
all four characters are useful crew: the pilot/navigator, the merchant, the mechanic, and the doctor/cook. You are not assumed to be returning home, and homeworld money won'y be worth much, so room on the ship to store your personal belongings is part of your pay. The captain will take care of some planet side expenses and will give bonuses in on-world money when very profitable stop is made. Yes, Gabriel will be responsible for selling much of the stuff on the ship. He doesn't HAVE to help with the others selling stuff, but he may very well choose to do so.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 06-02-2013 at 12:57 AM.
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:17 AM   #54
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Comm range is about 100 light hours. The chips aren't the hard part, they involve warp-field tech. They aren't rare, but are rather expensive. They're a decent choice, but not quite "long range, despite the fact they'll cover a system quite nicely (Pluto is about 8 light hours from the sun).

(setting up a chain of them between stars is feasible but beyond his financial capability)
I was already thinking of a fabricator or robofac for the job... (they pass the Safe Tech test, unless you want to expand it to include them) then all we'd need is raw materials. I was considering making the robot a combination gadget for the task and taking it as Sig Gear. Spreading a comm net wherever we go is a fantastic primary objective. Then to hell with cargo, we can sell the access codes! (and goes nicely with my Obsession!)

If that's not feasible, we'll need to come up with a courier service or something....
Quote:
all four characters are useful crew: the pilot/navigator, the merchant, the mechanic, and the doctor/cook. You are not assumed to be returning home, and homeworld money won'y be worth much, so room on the ship to store your personal belongings is part of your pay. The captain will take care of some planet side expenses and will give bonuses in on-world money when very profitable stop is made. Yes, Gabriel will be responsible for selling much of the stuff on the ship. He doesn't HAVE to help with the others selling stuff, but he may very well choose to do so.
So my job will be to buy and sell what the captain is carrying. Then I can do business for myself based on what I have in my cargo space, and then optionally, help the other PCs with their cargo sales (as I can certainly get them a better price)... that's the set up then, yes?

Bell will be more than happy to use his "Mad Skilz" on behalf of his ship and his colleagues... and a commission would not be unappreciated!

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 06-02-2013 at 04:01 AM.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #55
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
I was already thinking of a fabricator or robofac for the job... (they pass the Safe Tech test, unless you want to expand it to include them) then all we'd need is raw materials. I was considering making the robot a combination gadget for the task and taking it as Sig Gear.
Fabricators and Robofacs can only create lower-tech items, so no warp tech (including com gear), and no diamonoid materials. Computer stuff is fine though. No gadgets please. You can have it as sig gear if you want, but the feed stocks are as expensive than buying the item in many cases. (think 3-d printer technology).

Quote:
Spreading a comm net wherever we go is a fantastic primary objective. Then to hell with cargo, we can sell the access codes! (and goes nicely with my Obsession!)

If that's not feasible, we'll need to come up with a courier service or something....
Its not feasible this time around: its not known which stars are inhabited or not. Its a great concept for a second run though.

Quote:
So my job will be to buy and sell what the captain is carrying. Then I can do business for myself based on what I have in my cargo space, and then optionally, help the other PCs with their cargo sales (as I can certainly get them a better price)... that's the set up then, yes?
Yes, your first job is negotiating the information exchange, then determining which raw materials are best sold off for refueling and if now is a good time to sell portions of the main cargo.

Then you can deal what you want afterwards, whether your own or your coworkers.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 06-03-2013, 12:35 AM   #56
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Fabricators and Robofacs can only create lower-tech items, so no warp tech (including com gear), and no diamonoid materials. Computer stuff is fine though. No gadgets please. You can have it as sig gear if you want, but the feed stocks are as expensive than buying the item in many cases. (think 3-d printer technology).
Fair enough... I'll skip it then. Just to note, I was referring to equipment using the "combination gadgets" rules, not Advantages with Gadget restrictions.
Quote:
Its not feasible this time around: its not known which stars are inhabited or not. Its a great concept for a second run though.
That will certainly be a topic of discussion if discussing a mission statement! If it's not a group goal, it will be a personal one!
Old 06-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #57
the_matrix_walker

Updated copy of Gabriel Bell...
Might shave a point somewhere to make my Drone Sig gear, I'll probably fiddle up to the wire... but potentially, done.

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 06-07-2013 at 02:37 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #58
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Matrix: looks good. I have no problem with changes characters on the fly in game if its apparent something's wrong. page number on "combination gadgets" please.

Samd6: sorry about the wait, hope you're still there, we're starting soon.
Talosian: please finish up the character.

Crettin: You never did get back to me about the street doctor. Are you still there? Reading Bio-tech has given me a few ideas about what a "street doctor" is.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #59
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Aqua:

The first planet humanity settled on was called Terra, or Earth, after the ground that was most familiar to its inhabitants. It was only appropriate to name this world Aqua, after its most distinguishing feature: Water. Aqua is hotter than earth, and its equator is plagued by non-stop hurricane system. The air is thicker (and mostly wetter), though comfortably breathable. It has three major cities, two in the southern hemisphere and a third equatorial one by 'the 'Vator', the tall space elevator that provides the world's space access. Almost all land on Auqa is a volcanic island of some sort. many minerals are brought in from the asteroid belt, so 'Vator city' is as much the space station on top as the loading port on the bottom. However, the volcanic islands are often rich in minerals, and Rust city is named for its large mineral deposits.

Many of Aqua's inhabitants spend their lives on ships or small islands. Air transport is common, but more dangerous than water travel. Agriculture happens on the water (the native fauna is edible), but oil drilling occurs there as well, and many people love the great open skies.

The most common types of Fuana are species similar to large armored fish, the largest of which rival whales in size. They molt periodically, leaving behind massive neutrally boyant shells. They are preyed upon by 'Sea Spiders', softbodied creatures that spread huge nets of sticky silk that can affect small ships. They have sharp burrowing beaks that can pierce many types of ship hull (most can't put holes in iron, but it happens) and two limbs they use for climbing. Earth fish have not been introduced with much success, but several marine mammals and engineered plankton have. Land life is limited and mostly gets replaced with earthly life. There are no native multicelluar plants.

The new inhabitants of Auqa are currently using a federal democratic government, with the rights to make laws assigned to either cities or the colony as a whole. While the world is named auqa, a large number of its inhabitants have taken to calling it "Wet", claiming that they never called earth 'terra' in the first place.

Aqua

gravity: 1.2
pressure: 1.3
average temperature: 87 F
day length: 21 hours

population: 650,000
founding ethnicities: White (North American), Hispanic, Polynesian, Black (North American)

Old 06-03-2013, 05:18 PM   #60
samd6

I'm here. I was thinking of storing my wealth as seeds, spices, and entertainment

Tags
space merchant