Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 12-27-2017, 11:57 AM   #1
DAT

Default Time in Jump Space

I had always played that time in Jump Space was random, and unknown, until you came out. But recently found that is not how everyone plays. So started wondering how others do it. How does it work in YTU?

Time in Jump Space:
1) Random (168 hrs +/- 10%)
2) Random, but influenced by Navigation roll
3) Based on Navigation roll, with random variations
4) Based on Navigation roll
5) other

Knowing the Time in Jump Space:
1) Not known, until it is over
2) Knowable, after Jump, with a successful pilot roll
3) Knowable, after Jump, no roll
4) other

-Dan
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:31 PM   #2
trooper6

Default Re: Time in Jump Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT View Post
I had always played that time in Jump Space was random, and unknown, until you came out. But recently found that is not how everyone plays. So started wondering how others do it. How does it work in YTU?

Time in Jump Space:
1) Random (168 hrs +/- 10%)
2) Random, but influenced by Navigation roll
3) Based on Navigation roll, with random variations
4) Based on Navigation roll
5) other

Knowing the Time in Jump Space:
1) Not known, until it is over
2) Knowable, after Jump, with a successful pilot roll
3) Knowable, after Jump, no roll
4) other

-Dan
I just do what GURPS Traveller: Interstellar Wars tells me to do...168 hours +/- 10%
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:56 PM   #3
DAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
I just do what GURPS Traveller: Interstellar Wars tells me to do...168 hours +/- 10%
So random duration.

And when do the crew know how long the jump will be?
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:03 AM   #4
trooper6

I just stick to what the book says:
"Although the exact duration of a jump cannot be predicted, a ship can usually detect the onset of emergence a few minutes in advance. Most starships set a 168-hour “jump clock” when the jump engines are turned on, and an alarm sounds when the ship is about to emerge from jumpspace. Some starship crewmen entertain themselves by placing bets on the exact length of each jump . . ." pg. 174

So, the crew knows on average a Jump takes 168 hours. They set the clock and know you'll emerge from Jump sometime around then. And a few minutes before the ship actually leaves Jump space, and alarm sounds and everyone rushes to position.

Last edited by trooper6; 12-28-2017 at 12:06 AM.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:51 PM   #5
Rupert

I use the old "about 7 days", rolling 1d6, with the jump taking 6 days on a 1, 8 days on a 6, otherwise, 7 days. Many misjumps take 6-10 days instead.

You can tell when you'll come out until a few hours beforehand, and the exact emergence time is only knowable a few minutes prior to emergence. One of the first signs of many misjumps is the jump bubble starting to decay early or emergence not occurring until after 8 days.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:36 AM   #6
Mike Wightman

I always defer to the original MWM article in JTAS 24:
Quote:
The duration of a jump is fixed at the
instant that jump begins, and depends on
the specific jump space entered, the
energy input into the system, and on
other factors. In most cases, jump will
last a week.
Quote:
At the end of the week in jump, the
ship naturally precipitates out of jump
space and into normal space. The exact
time of emergence is usually predicted
by the ship's computer and the bridge is
well-manned for the event.
Mike Wightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:21 PM   #7
ak_aramis

I also use, "Expected breakout is known to about ±5 minutes only after entering." Mishaps can result in a whole variety of both "Failed to predict" and "didn't match reference and ships' time"
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:35 PM   #8
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
I also use, "Expected breakout is known to about ±5 minutes only after entering." Mishaps can result in a whole variety of both "Failed to predict" and "didn't match reference and ships' time"
It never came up in my games as tactically important, so just used the straight "7 days."

(Mind you, in one campaign after getting frustrated with a couple of players always insisting on turning every single jump into a "how long can be study to make Instruction skill rolls" bore fest, I ended up - for the next game - doing a C. J Cherryh and making time in jump space take one week from an external perspective, but only an matter of moments from the perspective of the occupants. (Of course, this ended up creating odd aging complications and wasn't as much fun for merchant/passenger interaction, but...)
Old 01-20-2018, 01:53 AM   #9
hal

Currently in my TRAVELLER universe:

There are two types of "errors" where jumps are concerned. They are:

Temporal (time in jump space)

Displacement (actual location of exit point into normal space)

Time in jump space: if navigation roll is successful, variance in jump space equals 5 minus degree of success times 1%. Failure in skill roll by 2 or more results in 4 + 1d6 percent variance in 168 hour jump. Roll degree of variance as odds = negative, even = positive.

Displacement error: use same mechanic as temporal rules, but roll for distance accuracy as each percent equals .01 AU in distance from intended exit location. In addition, a miss by 3+ on a piloting roll becomes 2d6-2 (minimum of one) times .1 AUs. See below...

There are three rolls required to enter jump space. The astrogation roll determines both temporal and displacement error. Neither the pilot not engineer's skill roll can better the initial navigator's initial plot detailing the approach to jump point not the energy schedule used to enter jump space. In addition, a critical failure on the part of the navigator can be caught by either of the navigator or the pilot if they take the time to double check the numbers.

Engineering affects temporal accuracy. Piloting affects displacement accuracy.

In my TRAVELLER universe, any attemped exit point within 100 diameters of either a planetary mass or stellar mass results in an "exit shunt", a relatively turbulent event that can cause jump sickness, as the ship is forced into normal space at the 100 diameter limit. Roll vs ship BY star or take 1 minor damage hit.

While others may not want to use this, in my TRAVELLER universe, planet's move. Coming out at your exit point too soon or too late, means that the world you were aiming for, when moving at say, 20 miles per second, will add extra distance the ship must travel to reach its destination.

These rules were cobbled up to avoid having to use jump masking. For me, the original rules to enter jump space were accounting for gravity effects with proximity to masses within 10 to 100 diameters, etc. Nothing from the normal space could interact (in Classic Traveller by GDW) until the ship tried to exit jump space and re-enter normal space. A mushing that lands you in the outer system of the destination, or wastes fuel and time leaving you at the same star system is bad. Being up to 36 parsecs away kinda sucks, but thems the breaks of jump space.

Sol moves at about 230 km per second of memory serves me right. Spending a week in jump space and coming out at the same spot as entering, results in Sol moving roughly 154 million km. The planets also would have moved on the 3600 times 168 hours to their own location. For me, these rules are an attempt at gameable rules. Enjoy.
hal is offline   Reply With Quote