Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 05-06-2013, 11:08 AM   #21
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: The Princess of Algeron (OCC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
Also, human languages: given the linguistic geography of the world, should he speak more than one language?
right now everyone speaks different dialects of the same language, so everyone apears accented to everyone else. Barbaric races are the exception, but you shouldn't have to deal with them.

Sad to see you go, Lemming Lord

Grendel looks good, I think.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #22
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poonbahbah View Post
Fixed, if a little extreme.
I suppose since he has DX 0 its fine.

Quote:
Martial Arts Fairbairn Close-Combat. It's a 5/lvl talent, since gnomes max out at 5 levels of talent it costs him 25 since he maxed it out.
umm... unless I'm reading something very mixed up styles in MA are not talents, those are entrance costs, which allow you access to specialized perks for the style. Its really mostly a measure of how many skills are included in the style.

I would like to point out though that power talent for your TK may fill this roll just as well... though its capped at four, the upping to five is for mundane talents only, and is worth 7 points/level, as it effects lots of varied rolls including a broad variety of combat rolls.

Quote:
That was they Idea, combat level magic to offset his otherwise ill suitability to the art of combat. And straight TK fits very well with a thief, it's already like a bunch of alternate abilities rolled into one....

TK already requires several....
Ok.... The skill roll is for improvised abilities. I suppose you have a point that TK comes built with lots of abilities. the core skill is to let you improvise and operate against other magic users (yes, the archmage has TK). Of course, he's a thief, not a combat wizard, so he may be bad at this. I plan to be VERY generous with using powers from default, as a warning, so it may be worth it anyways (increasing range, allowing shields, binding attacks, reducing another's encumbrance, and clinging are all allowed). Just saying.

Please add the limitation "requires Gestures." you can require free hands or not as you choose, one is -5%, the other -10%. You can drop either requirement as a stunt (which costs FP and requires the skill roll).

Quote:
Also McNeil takes offense to being called a lowly thief, he is obviously a world class burglar and ladies man. (Gotta love overconfidence and lecherous.) His TK is what's set's him above a lowly thief, as well as a good hire for a kidnapping. He's a thief wizard with emphasis on thief.
Ahh... That makes sense. Good spin.

EDIT: Also, the IQ roll to get a +4 to lock picking via TK must be the TK skill. I'm not doing any raw IQ rolls in this game. I hope this doesn't seem like I'm trying to force anything, its just the way I imagine magic working as powers.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 05-06-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #23
Poonbahbah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
umm... unless I'm reading something very mixed up styles in MA are not talents, those are entrance costs, which allow you access to specialized perks for the style. Its really mostly a measure of how many skills are included in the style.
It's not a style it's a talent. There are styles in MAFC but there are also talents. Just like the main MA book has talents, Forceful Chi & Inner Balance, which are not styles.

Quote:
I would like to point out though that power talent for your TK may fill this roll just as well... though its capped at four, the upping to five is for mundane talents only, and is worth 7 points/level, as it effects lots of varied rolls including a broad variety of combat rolls.
So TK Talent costs 5? For now I'll assume so, unless and until you tell me different. And looking in Powers on pg 29 under Pricing Talents I'm inclined to think it's 5. While it has a good range of uses, it's no where as broad as magic which gives you many schools of magic. TK is like one school of magic at best.
Edit: rereading this I think I misread you. Somehow I though you meant Stalker should be 7/lvl instead of TK talent, heh. Must Edit my character again! I think.

Quote:
Ok.... The skill roll is for improvised abilities. I suppose you have a point that TK comes built with lots of abilities. the core skill is to let you improvise and operate against other magic users (yes, the archmage has TK). Of course, he's a thief, not a combat wizard, so he may be bad at this. I plan to be VERY generous with using powers from default, as a warning, so it may be worth it anyways (increasing range, allowing shields, binding attacks, reducing another's encumbrance, and clinging are all allowed). Just saying.
Fair and very cool.

Quote:
Please add the limitation "requires Gestures." you can require free hands or not as you choose, one is -5%, the other -10%. You can drop either requirement as a stunt (which costs FP and requires the skill roll).
Seeing as there will be times where I want lockpicks in my hands, TK can give +4 to Lockpicking with a successful IQ... err I mean skill check, I'll take requires gestures -5%.

Quote:
Ahh... That makes sense. Good spin.
Thank you.

Quote:
EDIT: Also, the IQ roll to get a +4 to lock picking via TK must be the TK skill. I'm not doing any raw IQ rolls in this game. I hope this doesn't seem like I'm trying to force anything, its just the way I imagine magic working as powers.
That's fine by me. It's not like your adding the skill just for this use. So is this skill going to be IVH? Sorta like magic spells. Again until you say otherwise I'm just gonna assume so and fix it later if required.

Will have an updated version updated on the first page again soon. Which will largely include getting rid of my current talent and replacing it with TK talent and 4 points in TK skill.

Last edited by Poonbahbah; 05-06-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Poonbahbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #24
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
right now everyone speaks different dialects of the same language, so everyone apears accented to everyone else. Barbaric races are the exception, but you shouldn't have to deal with them.

Sad to see you go, Lemming Lord

Grendel looks good, I think.
Okay, I'm still willing to tweak social traits to fit the setting better, if necessary lowering Charisma and/or Rapier by 1 level. Otherwise, I'm done tweaking the build.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #25
Harry O'Gane

I'll have to drop out. Some other time, folks. Have fun, though! :D

Marko
Harry O'Gane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #26
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
It's not a style it's a talent. There are styles in MAFC but there are also talents. Just like the main MA book has talents, Forceful Chi & Inner Balance, which are not styles.
I can't find it: could you give a page number: its unusual to have a talent that includes combat skills.

Quote:
So TK Talent costs 5? For now I'll assume so, unless and until you tell me different. And looking in Powers on pg 29 under Pricing Talents I'm inclined to think it's 5. While it has a good range of uses, it's no where as broad as magic which gives you many schools of magic. TK is like one school of magic at best.
Edit: rereading this I think I misread you. Somehow I though you meant Stalker should be 7/lvl instead of TK talent, heh. Must Edit my character again! I think.
Stalker is 5/level. TK talent I was pegging at 7 because it affects almost anything DX effects. On the other hand, it is essentially the size of a school of magic... (movement college to be precise).

Quote:
That's fine by me. It's not like your adding the skill just for this use. So is this skill going to be IVH? Sorta like magic spells. Again until you say otherwise I'm just gonna assume so and fix it later if required.
Just Hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
Okay, I'm still willing to tweak social traits to fit the setting better, if necessary lowering Charisma and/or Rapier by 1 level. Otherwise, I'm done tweaking the build.
I'd like to see status traded for disowned, but its your call. you may also want to look at whether he has merchant skills from home (if only at dabbler level)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry O'Gane View Post
I'll have to drop out. Some other time, folks. Have fun, though! :D

Marko
so sad. thanks for letting me know.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #27
Poonbahbah

On page 17 in a little blue box on the right hand side. I can see how it would be easy to miss.

Fixed.

Fixed.

I think he's done now.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #28
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
On page 17 in a little blue box on the right hand side. I can see how it would be easy to miss.

Fixed.

Fixed.

I think he's done now.
Oh! wow: Thats its own book. No wonder I couldn't find it. I don't own that thing. It isn't in the new version, so That isn't really an issue though.

Everyone looks good.

We have a fighter, a wizard, and a thief. And yet you're all thieves.
We have the short one, the tall one, and the medium one. The princess bride comes to mind.

I'm excited! the IC is going up.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #29
Michael Thayne

Okay, final tweaks have been made.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #30
Poonbahbah

@ccretin, I noticed you've got both karate and brawling. They're basically the same skill if you read the descriptions, with karate being the better, and harder, version. I think you'd do well to just drop one or the other and but the points in it elsewhere. I'd recommend dropping brawling and upping karate by at least one skill level so that you get the +2 damage/die. Maybe put the other 4 points in another combat skill, or more karate. Also be aware that fighting unarmed is very disadvantageous. Someone parrying your unarmed attack with a weapon could then hit your arm with that same weapon as part of their parry. Assuming that rule is being used anyway. So you may want to rely on your knives more.