Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-14-2020, 01:23 PM   #1
shawndumas

Default Metagaming MicroQuests

I am assuming that the regained rights to print The Fantasy Trip does not extend to any of the Metagaming MicroQuests series; given that assumption, it is safe to operate with confidence that there will be no reprinting of them--at all.

If I was to (somehow) locate and (spend too much money) purchasing any/all of the Metagaming MicroQuests series could they be played without much modification using the The Fantasy Trip Legacy Edition currently in print?

Last edited by shawndumas; 04-16-2020 at 12:09 PM.
shawndumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 01:52 PM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: Metagaming MicroQuests

High level NPCs would have interesting gaps in their abilities, but still be playable.

The only real game changer is that any figure with the Thief talent will need this broken up into the new talents, but I don't recall this talent ever being mentioned in a microquest.
Old 04-14-2020, 01:58 PM   #3
Skarg

Yeah, they will all more or less work with Legacy TFT. Most of them are written to be playable with basic Melee, which has not changed very much. Only a few details are different, which shouldn't affect the adventures much at all.

There is a bit of a balance issue in that if you use Legacy In The Labyrinth and give your PCs the new and the cheaper advanced combat talents (e.g. brawling, running, thrown weapons, missile weapons, fencer, weapon expert/master, unarmed combat, toughness, tactics, physicker, two weapons, unusual weapons, guns), you may have some advantages that won't be matched in such adventures. That was an issue with them originally, but now it's even moreso. You might want to just estimate your characters as being worth more total points for balance purposes if they use those talents.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 02:01 PM   #4
shawndumas

Awesome, thank you for the prompt replies...

So I've found and purchased (in the intervening time):
  • Grail Quest (second chance games)
  • Treasure of the Silver Dragon (ebay)
  • Orb Quest (ebay)
  • Master of the Amulets (ebay)
  • Treasure of Unicorn Gold (noble kinght)

But I can't seem to locate Security Station. Would anyone happen to have it for sale (or know of a place I can get it)?

Last edited by shawndumas; 04-14-2020 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-14-2020, 02:42 PM   #5
shawndumas

Found a copy of Security Station on boardgamegeek.com, looking forward to playing the early 80's!

Last edited by shawndumas; 04-14-2020 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-14-2020, 03:27 PM   #6
Skarg

Wow, well you are set, then! Lots of gaming ahead!

If you don't get errata sheets with them, ask. They're short, but Security Station has an important one. Grailquest has one too. I think the others probably do too. Silver Dragon and Unicorn gold are inherently bizarre and IIRC don't really have goals other than exploring, fighting, looting, and trying to figure out their arcane meta puzzles.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 07:18 PM   #7
Shadekeep

Congratulations on landing them all in such short order! Security Station is the only one of them that I don't have in an unpunched format. Don't know if it had a smaller print run or didn't sell as well or if people just aren't parting with theirs. Anyway, happy adventuring!
Old 04-14-2020, 07:55 PM   #8
DarkPumpkin

With all due respect to the nostalgia value, and in some cases, genuine play value, of the old modules, I'm glad that we're in a time when there's such awesome new TFT product available, or in the works!
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 08:28 PM   #9
shawndumas

I agree that the excitement for me is wrt the future. To that end I backed the current campaign on KS and tracked down the five adventures (with tokens) from Gaming Ballistic.

I played three rounds of Melee with my son today/yesterday and am enamored with such simplicity-of-rules that foster such diversity-of-outcomes; outstanding combat. We fought with three, randomly dealt, pregenerated figures each and then switched them and played again. Great times...

Thanks for the tip wrt errata. I think I found what I needed from BGG.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:25 PM   #10
wishmaster

(I'm @shawndumas's son)

First impressions from someone that should be on the receiving end of "get off my lawn!": Melee was extremely fun to play. There are enough different options to feel like you always have one last, or one more, trick to pull out of your hat before you're through, which makes playing each game more fun, and will likely make the overall experience of replaying it more fun as well. The rules are very logical and consistent, providing a verisimilitude to the combat which makes it easier to remember what does what.

This makes me super excited to venture into Wizard, and then play the RPG as a whole, too.

That doesn't mean I'm good at tactics though. Lost all three games. :P
wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote