Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-01-2010, 12:50 AM   #8
macphersonrants

Default Re: Inspiration for Realistic Modern Action Gaming

If you cherry pick it, the original Miami Vice series had some good episodes. Typically anything that focused on Castillo's character had promise. If you don't believe me I can bust out the episode guide and pick a few prime examples.

As far as books go- I really like Stephen Hunter's stuff. I'd love to find someone who can write a gunfight better than that man. If you know your stuff you can track down his influences. Pale Horse Riding is a great example. All of the gunfighters Swagger brings in for the finale are based on famous shooting writers from the period (plus Audie Murphy) who also happened to be ace shootists.

Frederick Forsythe tends to capture the vibe I like.

More recently I've enjoyed some of Chris Ryan's thrillers.

For earlier period stuff Alan Furst is hard to beat, although he's probably a hair more cerebral than some of the stuff on my list.

I also like E.M. Nathanson for WWII stuff (The Dirty Dozen and a couple related titles).

Tags
cops, covert ops, espionage, modern action, special ops