Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 07-26-2020, 04:10 PM   #1
InexplicableVic

Default Disarms and Striking ST; Kusaris and Demons of Old Chain Weapons

1. Does Striking ST count when making a ST-based disarm quick contest? So, if I know Broadsword at DX+4 with DX 14, ST 15, and Striking ST 2, do I roll against 19 or 21?
  2. When parrying a kusari or Demon’s whip, the attacker can try to disarm. It says nothing about blocking with bucklers (or regular shields). Can we assume that the shield is too big to be entangled, and thus not at risk?
InexplicableVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 12:31 AM   #2
Black Leviathan

Default Re: Disarms and Striking ST; Kusaris and Demons of Old Chain Weapons

Striking ST Specifically impacts Thrust and Swing damage. It is more of a measure of co-ordination or body proportion than any mechanical force from your muscles. Arm ST would make you better at disarms.

Disarms work specifically on things "held" in the hand. Shields are strapped to the arm. A generous GM could let you attempt a disarm but it would be a huge penalty.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:11 PM   #3
zuljita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
Striking ST Specifically impacts Thrust and Swing damage. It is more of a measure of co-ordination or body proportion than any mechanical force from your muscles. Arm ST would make you better at disarms.

Disarms work specifically on things "held" in the hand. Shields are strapped to the arm. A generous GM could let you attempt a disarm but it would be a huge penalty.
Not to be persnickety but there is no such thing as arm ST for PCs in DFRPG. My inclination is to allow striking ST anywhere it's relevant to combat and nowhere else.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:59 AM   #4
ArchonShiva

This seems like a simulationsit vs gameist thing.

Of course grappling and bows should use Lifting ST, but I think the game plays best with Striking ST applying to basically all combat usage. Otherwise, are we going to break down disarming by pushing and disarming by pulling?
Old 07-31-2020, 07:06 AM   #5
Yssa

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuljita View Post
Not to be persnickety but there is no such thing as arm ST for PCs in DFRPG. My inclination is to allow striking ST anywhere it's relevant to combat and nowhere else.
Would the Barbarian trait Lifting ST (Adventurers 16) do the job? That specifies that it adds to strength for Grappling and Grappling Moves.

Either way, I think I'd allow it: It isn't RAW, which specifies that Striking ST only affects damage of melee weapons. It feels like the idea of strike to disarm using ST is that you are hitting so hard the enemy drops their weapon, and it seems that being "able to deliver more powerful blows than your ST score would indicate" (Adventurers 53) would help with that.
Yssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:04 AM   #6
InexplicableVic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonShiva View Post
This seems like a simulationsit vs gameist thing.

Of course grappling and bows should use Lifting ST, but I think the game plays best with Striking ST applying to basically all combat usage. Otherwise, are we going to break down disarming by pushing and disarming by pulling?
That's probably the way to go here.
InexplicableVic is offline   Reply With Quote