Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-10-2016, 06:03 PM   #1
wolf90

Default Ninja Feedback Forum

Man . . .

This thing IS stealthy! It's been up for hours and no-one has noticed!

The latest concept for the Ninja has been posted in the "New Units" page.

First off, a tip of the hat to lokke on the forums; his concept of "spoofs" or ghosts influenced this design.

Steve has long wanted the Ninja to represent a variable ability unit, heavily modified via electronic warfare techniques to be a raider unit. As Steve has mentioned in OM and elsewhere, the Ninja has an electronics warfare suite unrivaled in the Ogre-verse. In a world heavily dependent upon on sensors, the Ninja exists to fool, trick, and otherwise blind these sensors. The Ninja is not a unit to go tread-to-tread with many other Ogres in a slugfest.

Also, the Ninja should be customizable to the mission. As Steve said on the previous Ninja thread, "I had the idea at the time that a few more special abilities might be appropriate, including some kind of "you don't see me at all" rule," but those Ninja rules never evolved. Steve recently called his proposed options a "Ninja Bag of Tricks". Not only should they be rare, but no two Ninja should be alike.

There is a lot to take in here, and some of the proposed abilities may not (will not) make it into the final design. But I'd like everyone to play with it, and see which of the abilities work well, and which don't. I know some of you who have seen it in pretest are not a fan; it IS a major departure from the past overly simplistic versions. But just as the Vulcan and Combat Engineering has received a major overhaul, so too has the Ninja.

This is not likely to be the final draft at all. But we do want you to try it, and let us know you're experiences, both positive and not, with the various options (hint: start simple!).

Enjoy. . .and come back and let us know how things go!

D.

PS - The various VP values are currently listed in factors of 5 to make adding things up easier in your head. But changing things to factors of 6 to match the various unit values is under strong consideration. Please feel free to weigh in either way.

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.