Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-08-2019, 12:04 AM   #11
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Pump Action Bow?

I'm also now thinking about a Red Dot enchantment after having rewatched the Instant Robin hood video...
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:23 AM   #12
jacobmuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
It's a good thing you're a doctor of necromancy and not history Dr. Kromm, cause that timeline is messed up...

He's been working on variations of his autoloading crossbow for years, he's only really gotten into bows in the last two years or so, while his oldest autoloading stuff goes back 6 years.

The evolution of the channel:

10 years ago slingshots.
9 - slingbows (firing arrows out of slingshots).
8 - firing weird things out of slingshots.
7 - crossbows, multifiring stuff.
6 - autoloading sling shot and sling bolt thrower weapons. And even weirder ammo.
5-3 - Just more of the above, plus airpowered arrow and shot shooters.
2 years and less, he starting getting into proper bows.
Dec 3 2016 his first actual pump action autoloading crossbow, homemade with parts from a crossbow.
Aug 2017 "Instant Legolas" his first autoloading bow.
Nov 2018, his first mass produced autoloading crossbow.
Sep 2018, Jorge makes his first Cobra R9 autoloading pump action crossbow.
Which was the prototype of the finished product in your video dated Mar 2019... which is then followed by his other 'Instant' Bows (autoloaders):
The Instant Mongolian (Aug 2019), The Instant Legolini (miniLegolas autoloading slingbow, Sep 2019), The Instant Robin Hood (Oct 2019)...

This leads into his two weeks ago videos of the "pump-action" Bow, which is not really "pump" action at all, but a different pull and release mechanism with a sliding bow autoloader.

And then there's this monster (video dropped yesterday)... which I want written up for DF.

What? Why yes, I have been following Joerg for years... since 2010 or so actually. I came for chaingun slingshot and stayed for the features.
Thank you for the timeline - I just discovered him this very week (first week Dec 2019 - linked from Forgotten Weapons (I just discovered last month)) and my first impression of this thread was "how have I not heard of autoloading bows long ago."
Youtube = infinite reasons to look up GURPS books I'd never have thought of.

Wow, Xmas deal 10% off the Adder RX bow means the special bolts just for it are effectively free... Soo tempting - just £330 of insanity:)

Last edited by jacobmuller; 12-08-2019 at 01:34 AM. Reason: I just saw the crossbow and looked up the price
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:50 AM   #13
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post
Wow, Xmas deal 10% off the Adder RX bow means the special bolts just for it are effectively free... Soo tempting - just £330 of insanity:)
Yeah, if I had 450$ to burn I'd get one.

Heck... if I had a woodworking shop, I'd try my hand at building an autoloader for my compound.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:56 AM   #14
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post

It's a good thing you're a doctor of necromancy and not history Dr. Kromm, cause that timeline is messed up...
Haha! To be clear: I don't follow this guy. I was posting something that showed up in my social media feeds this week, for the very first time, as "popular among your friends."

That said, it strikes me as odd that a rough-looking accessory for turning a bow optimized for use as, you know, a bow into a de facto pump-action crossbow came after what appears to be a mass-produced "tacticool" pump-action crossbow. I don't for an instant doubt the timeline, but looking in from the outside, it seems weirdly inverted.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 11:10 AM   #15
Culture20

I'm pretty sure he only made the chu ko nu magazine for an existing crossbow, or the manufacturer designed a crossbow for his magazine, and he likes to prototype in wood. For the instant gk and instant rh, he wanted to stay in wood (except for merlin's eye).

The newest dual Mongolian bow he says uses only 30-lbs bows so it may be rapid fire, but very weak. Maybe toss some contact or blood agent poisons on the arrows.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:37 PM   #16
Johnny Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
I'm pretty sure he only made the chu ko nu magazine for an existing crossbow, or the manufacturer designed a crossbow for his magazine, and he likes to prototype in wood. For the instant gk and instant rh, he wanted to stay in wood (except for merlin's eye).

The newest dual Mongolian bow he says uses only 30-lbs bows so it may be rapid fire, but very weak. Maybe toss some contact or blood agent poisons on the arrows.
They could be effective for the town guard in a fantasy town. The training to use that compared to the years of technique to master a longbow would (I assume) be less. Also, the lower draw weight wouldn't be as much of an issue against typically unarmored targets (i.e. rabble-rousers in town or low level bandits).

Upon further thought, watching more of his videos makes me curious as to whether his designs might give some insight into how weapon technology might evolve in an alternate world where guns do not exist (or guns are less effective/practical for some reason).
Johnny Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 07:35 PM   #17
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
That said, it strikes me as odd that a rough-looking accessory for turning a bow optimized for use as, you know, a bow into a de facto pump-action crossbow came after what appears to be a mass-produced "tacticool" pump-action crossbow. I don't for an instant doubt the timeline, but looking in from the outside, it seems weirdly inverted.
He built a pump-action slingshot kunai thrower over 6 years ago... and a slingshot pencil chu-ko-nu like 7 years ago.

He's been doing crossbows longer than bows (on the channel anyway), and his first real foray into bows was the autoloader for the 30 pound mongolian... I think the "pump-action" is more of an expansion of his crossbow work into bows. One of things he says almost every "Instant [Something] Bow" video is that because of the broad variances in bows, he can't really give measurements for mass producing a bow autoloader. It depends on draw length, which will vary between people.

However, the crossbows all have the same draw length...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
The newest dual Mongolian bow he says uses only 30-lbs bows so it may be rapid fire, but very weak.
I'm wondering what the effect is to drawing two bows of the same strength? How much would it increase the ST required?

Just add the BL and then reconfigure the new ST? So two ST 15 bows combined would have minimum ST of 22?

Granted... a 2 seconds per shot reload time is a bit of a drawback, and removes the one primary benefit of a bow over a crossbow.

Last edited by evileeyore; 12-08-2019 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:42 PM   #18
dcarson

That laugh of his. Definitely need to bookmark to use as a low tech mad scientist.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:30 PM   #19
Sorenant

Next thing you know a players will be asking for one of those in a banestorm game. "It's designed by Underground Engineers!" they will say.
Sorenant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bow design, crossbows