Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-09-2020, 04:51 AM   #11
DeadParrot

Default Re: Alternatives to Lecherousness

Keep in mind that it is Supposed to be a Disadvantage. It is supposed to get the character into trouble. Trouble can range from unplanned interaction with law enforcement to a forced honor duel to worse.

In a setting where relationships are open, sex is 'easy', Free Love settings, etc, the behavior in Lecherousness might well be an Advantage and turning down enough advances might get a prudish character into trouble.
DeadParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:42 AM   #12
Donny Brook

For my games (and I think it's the general view of my gaming group), many of the Disads as written are far too disruptive of the game than they ought to be.

I almost always 'read down' the descriptions, especially to amend compelled behavior to be more suitable to the setting. I also generally allow a voluntary investment of down-time and/or game money in role-playing that supports or confronts the disadvantage to give a bonus on situational control tests. For example a character with Trickster would get this for laying the groundwork for a big prank. Or a Lecherous character might have a routine of mortifying herself with cold showers.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:58 AM   #13
swampthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadParrot View Post
In a setting where relationships are open, sex is 'easy', Free Love settings, etc, the behavior in Lecherousness might well be an Advantage and turning down enough advances might get a prudish character into trouble.
Even in such a setting, anything that constrains your behavior is generally considered a disadvantage, though how much trouble it gets you into bears on the value of the disadvantage. That includes Compulsive behavior that's socially acceptable - it's the "Compulsive" part that makes it a disadvantage.
swampthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:06 AM   #14
Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Or a Lecherous character might have a routine of mortifying herself with cold showers.
A Lecherous character who reduces the severity of her Lecherousness with in-game actions should have this reflected on the character sheet with a higher self-control number. That is, she shouldn't have Lecherousness (12) and taking a cold shower every day gives her a +3 bonus to the self-control roll; she should just take Lecherousness (15). Otherwise she's just getting free character points.
Stormcrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:13 AM   #15
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
A Lecherous character who reduces the severity of her Lecherousness with in-game actions should have this reflected on the character sheet with a higher self-control number. That is, she shouldn't have Lecherousness (12) and taking a cold shower every day gives her a +3 bonus to the self-control roll; she should just take Lecherousness (15). Otherwise she's just getting free character points.
Or there's the idea of Mitigator . . .
Old 01-09-2020, 09:22 AM   #16
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
I view it differently. I regard it as a way a character who has Lecherousness can role-play how a person might try to manage it.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:43 AM   #17
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_Dragon View Post
Looks good to me. Compulsive Sexual Activity at -5* points is one that I've already adopted (I forget which GURPS book has something like that). And Compulsive Seduction at -10* looks like an appropriately limited Lecherousness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
Would an Odious Personal Habit (-3 to the gender you are interested in, -1 to others) [-10] be suitable for people who aggressively catcall, pinch, or grope? That is another major real and fictional archetype.
these are really quite good. I only wish I had a place to track and store gems like these.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:50 AM   #18
Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
I view it differently. I regard it as a way a character who has Lecherousness can role-play how a person might try to manage it.
Rolling a self-control roll IS managing it. And one is usually encouraged (including with bonus character points) to role-play one's disadvantages rather than to role-play avoiding one's disadvantages.

You can, of course, run it as you see fit, but I just see free character points in your scheme.
Stormcrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:05 AM   #19
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
these are really quite good. I only wish I had a place to track and store gems like these.
I've added them to the Disadvantage of the Week thread on OPH.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 02:32 PM   #20
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
But some people seem to be giving their characters a 15-point disadvantage, not because it fits their vision for their character, but because its the only "oversexed" disadvantage they know. In that thread, I see a lot of people saying "well, what the disadvantage says is too severe, so we don't enforce it" but a 15-point disadvantage should be severe and the wording fits one real and fictional pattern of behaviour.

I think that the better solution is to help them find the right quirk, 5-point, or 10-point disadvantage for their character.
It seems everyone has forgotten that Lecherousness is one of the "can be resisted" mental disadvantages.

Only the 12- version is 15 points. The 15- version (Resist almost all the time) is 7 points.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote