Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-13-2014, 03:20 PM   #1
Joe

Default [DF] Terror and Unholiness

Another quick question for friendly forumites. I'm making an Unholy Warrior for Dungeon Fantasy. He has Terror and Unholiness 2.

My question: Do people affected by his Terror get a -2 to their fright checks because of his Unholiness 2? Or not?

The answer to this is probably obvious, but for some reason it escapes me. On the one hand, a power talent adds to any roll made to use powers that fall under the talent - so the answer seems to be "yes, the unholiness provides a penalty to the fright check" - but on the other hand, in the case of Terror, it's not the empowered character rolling; rather, it's those on whom the power is used - so the answer seems to be "no, the unholiness is irrelevant, no penalties". Thus my question.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Joe; 05-13-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:29 AM   #2
Gold & Appel Inc

Default Re: [DF] Terror and Unholiness

Is the Terror Active +0%? If so, the Talent adds to the roll to use it; in either case, it doesn't add to the victim's penalty, though, which must be bought as discounted additional levels of Terror.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:40 AM   #3
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

As has been stated, Talent gives a direct bonus only when Terror has Active. In that case, it adds to the user's Will. This makes it easier to overcome the target's own Will.

However, per Powers, p. 84: "When using Terror to bolster Intimidation skill, Talent adds to skill rolls, on top of the +1 to +4 for supernatural powers." That ruling is probably overkill (and largely irrelevant) for a DF campaign, but nothing will break if you use it.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:59 AM   #4
Joe

I'm always amazed by the helpfulness of those who frequent this forum. Thanks!

So if the Unholy Warrior wants to buy Terror in its vanilla form, which forces everyone around to make fright checks, the power talent doesn't help him with it at all - but it does help him with Intimidation checks.

But if the Unholy Warrior wants to buy his Terror with active, which restricts it to just one subject and makes it a will vs will contest, then the power talent helps in the contest, as well as in Intimidation checks.

Thanks for clarifying that - much appreciated.

(Incidentally, I think this means Terror isn't going to be quite as effective as I'd hoped for 27 pts, so I might have to design the character another way. Never mind! Thanks for the help!)
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote