Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-01-2014, 09:01 PM   #1
the_matrix_walker

Default [MA] Ultimate Techniques

I need some Ultimate Techniques to go with my Ultimate Style to pitch to my GM...

Anybody got cool ones in their toy box they would like to share?
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:41 PM   #2
gilbertocarlos

Default Re: [MA] Ultimate Techniques

TL? Style? Cinematic? Weapon?
Old 05-01-2014, 10:45 PM   #3
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
TL? Style? Cinematic? Weapon?
Yeah, it's Ultimate Style (with weapons), which is about as cinematic as it gets... Weapon or unarmed.

MA p. 144 "It may also contain a few “invincible” or “unstoppable” moves with ludicrously steep default penalties; design these using Creating New Techniques (p. 89-95)."

Just figured there must be a few rolling around someone has made.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:38 PM   #4
Phantasm

Crane Technique
Default: Karate-8, cannot exceed Karate

"When done right, no defense." - Mr. Miyagi, The Karate Kid (1984)

Do I need to elaborate? :)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:25 AM   #5
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
Crane Technique

I assume it's the similar my Deceptive Technique with the math error (lol), from "Unpredictable Attacker" (Fixed and renamed below) But I would hardly call -2 "no defense"

Otherwise, yeah, please elaborate. A technique isn't any good to me if I can't break it down to see the nuts and bolts... You haven't even provided a description.

Example:
Quote:
Speed Blow: Your attack moves so quickly that opponents suffer a -2 penalty to all active defenses, your speed can be a detriment however, if you fail to connect, you must roll VS DX or fall.

Custom Technique:

Opponent's Defenses; Dodge -2 Penalty (-4 to default), Parry -2 Penalty (-2 to default), Block -2 Penalty (-2 to default)

Drawbacks: Must Roll vs DX or fall on a miss. (If a combined with a maneuver (ie. kick) that has this drawback already, apply a -1 Penalty to the existing DX Roll)

Deceptive Technique, Defaults to Skill-7

(Note: Cinematic Technique guidelines allow for Opponent Defense penalties of up to -4. A similar technique with a -3 or -4 to defenses would default to Skill-11 and Skill-15 respectively.)
Old 05-02-2014, 05:48 AM   #6
Vynticator

The Crane Kick he means is this one... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYE4fNQKTs4

It's every teenager's ultimate ultimate move :)
Vynticator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:07 AM   #7
Gold & Appel Inc

G&A's Crane Technique
Default: Karate -9; Cannot Exceed Karate

This is a Kicking Technique (-2) with all the normal benefits and drawbacks of that except as noted below (Reach 1, DX roll or fall on a miss, etc). It must target the Upper Body (+1), from a Standing Posture (+1), in an Attack, Committed Attack, or All-Out Attack following a Wait (Crane Kick X When X Moves Within Reach) Maneuver (+1) with no Step (+1) and no Retreat (+1), but the victim gets -4 to Parry (-8) and -4 to Dodge (-4) the kick (it's actually not that hard to block if you have a decent shield, considering its predictable trajectory - it defeats dodges and parries by sheer cinematic speed and power). Often combined with Targeted Attack (Crane Kick / Jaw) or (Crane Kick / Face), and often (but not necessarily) performed as an AoA (Determined), dumping the bonus for another -2 Deceptive.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:12 AM   #8
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vynticator View Post
The Crane Kick he means is this one... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYE4fNQKTs4

It's every teenager's ultimate ultimate move :)
ASSuming that clip is from the original Ralph Macchio/Pat Morita movie (I didn't click on it to find out; this computer hates youtube), yes, that one. It's presented in the movie as an "ultimate, no defense" move. Admittedly, the movie treats tournaments as "real" fights; the technique's usefulness would probably be limited in actual real-world fights, but we're talking about a move that was practically an internet meme before the internet had been commercialized.

Mind, I actually haven't seen the movie in over 20 years, so I doubt I could describe it with any real accuracy.

Edit: I see G&A has. It pretty much fits my memories. :)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 05-02-2014 at 06:15 AM.
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:23 AM   #9
Tomsdad

Quote:
Crane Technique

I'd add Telgraphic Attack, but bonus to defend against it is negated if user has previously taken a beating.

He only ever seemed to use it after having the crap kicked out of him.

Actually I reckon that kick is better shown as some kind of stop thrust/kick as his opponents did seem to want to run on to it in their attempt to finish the fight.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:40 AM   #10
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Mind, I actually haven't seen the movie in over 20 years, so I doubt I could describe it with any real accuracy.

Edit: I see G&A has. It pretty much fits my memories. :)
I watched the clip. ;]

Quote:
It's presented in the movie as an "ultimate, no defense" move.
By Mr. Kesuke Miyagi, an individual who is not at all slightly unstable or prone to hyperbole. It is merely a very good move in extremely-limited circumstances (ie: for whatever reason the other guy has to come at you) that somebody in a game with lots of varied fights in different terrain and conditions might occasionally see a huge payoff from, but frequently see no payoff from.

Quote:
Admittedly, the movie treats tournaments as "real" fights; the technique's usefulness would probably be limited in actual real-world fights, but we're talking about a move that was practically an internet meme before the internet had been commercialized.
I wouldn't say that The Karate Kid treats tournaments as "real" fights. The movie depicts a real fight where Daniel gets his ass completely kicked (kind of, but y'know, PG-style) by like five guys early on when they attack him using sensible tactics, and then he redeems himself and gets the hot girl by proving himself in a structured, one-on-one tournament fight against their leader after he uses an Ally's very high Savoir-Faire (Dojo) to set it up as a fair (ie: not-real) fight opportunity that Johnny couldn't avoid without risking major subcultural Reputation loss.

~~~~~

G&A's Karate Kid Crane Kick Technique: THE POINTS ARE NO OBJECT! Crazy-Pants Cinematic-Plus Version:
Default: Karate -20; Cannot Exceed Karate

This is a Kicking Technique (-2) with all the normal benefits and drawbacks of that except as noted below (Reach 1, etc). It must target the Upper Body (+1), from a Standing Posture (+1), in an Attack, Committed Attack, or All-Out Attack following a Wait (Crane Kick X When X Moves Within Reach) Maneuver (+1) with no Step (+1) and no Retreat (+1), but the victim gets -4 to Parry (-8), -4 to Dodge (-4), and -4 to Block (-4) the kick, and the attacker doesn't have to roll DX to avoid falling on a miss (-1) and gets +3 damage (-6). Often combined with Targeted Attack (Crane Kick / Jaw) or (Crane Kick / Face), and often (but not necessarily) performed as an AoA (Determined), dumping the bonus for another -2 Deceptive. May be improved to Karate +4 with the addition of the Technique Mastery (Crane Kick) Perk; by this point you've probably already spent about [20] on it anyway...

Last edited by Gold & Appel Inc; 05-02-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote