Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 06-29-2012, 03:29 AM   #21
ak_aramis

Default Re: The Cost to run Amateur Night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
Ok based on those numbers you are talking 4 minutes of ads or $240 per event.

As I said, not exactly a money spinner.

Thanks for the ad rate though, that is useful gen.
Keep in mind scale - which I forgot earlier - a typical theater in a Regal Cinemas has 100-300 seats per screen. So... seating 10K, it should be adjusted to between 33x and 100x that rate..., let's assume 50x that rate (1:200 people)... which would push that to $50/sec, and a typical 15sec advert to $750...

And with 2-3 minutes at $3K per minute... it could mean adding an extra duel for every 2-4 duels, depending upon prestige of the arena, and the potential amateurs.

(Now, the theater makes bank on 15-20 minutes of 50% advert 50% trivia per screen per show... and almost no staff time involved. (30 to 40)x$50=$1500 to $2000 per screen per week. About as much as an extra showing of a hot movie brings in.)

Last edited by ak_aramis; 06-29-2012 at 03:32 AM.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #22
Angrytubist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrauGeist View Post
Go to a public go-kart track - how many different models do they have on the track?

How about the number of variants of bumper-cars?

ONE.

Expect cookie-cutter cars for parts, spares, and repair commonality, along with standardized, simplified repair processes. Purchase in bulk, as a "fleet" buy.

Thinking about it, there's probably a market for a standardized, "spec" "Amateur" car which is AADA-sanctioned and approved specifically for "official" AN events that never sees street miles. Heavy duty single-seat chassis & frame, modular weapon mount and harness for standard weapon "pods", bolt-on armor panels, etc. Bulk standard spares like you'd find for a commercial van (check the price of a Chevy fleet van bumper vs the painted one on a passenger car - price ratio may be 5:1 or more)
You are absolutely correct, and larger, better sponsored and funded arenas would probably use a "fleet" single vehicle type formula. My post was from a more "average small-town arena" point of view.

But as for "cheaper" you've forgotten to take something into account. Unlike the local go-kart track, or fun center owner, our hypothetical arena manager has a regular supply of losers (dead men's) vehicles, and cheap-to-free salvage generated by every race or match. It would just seem criminal not to use it, especially when the alternative is having a custom fleet of dueling cars manufactured and shipped.

P.S. I do think most Car Wars vehicles would already use pretty "standard" parts in their construction, at least most can be interchanged between models, even those made by different companies (this is both to rationalize the design system, and because I like running and playing in salvage-driven road games.)

Last edited by Angrytubist; 06-29-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Angrytubist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:28 PM   #23
GrauGeist
Banned

The house can do both.

They can (and should) have a small fleet of AADA "spec" cars that the participant pays a somewhat higher fee to use. Winner gets a straight cash payoff based on the amount of competition in the arena (like a carny racing "game"); deduct repair costs from survivors; no salvage. This is the true entry point into duelling, and can put on a decent little show.

Win a 2 of these, and you can buy an used spec car at auction. Win 1 more, you can repair it to "like new" condition.

If you have little, and are willing to take the risk, then you can save up the entry fee, and try to grab the brass ring. Look at Amateur MMA / Toughman bouts for comparison.
GrauGeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #24
Angrytubist

I like the idea of both being common. You pay an entry fee to get into an AADA sanctioned "amateur match" but the local arena also puts on "redneck rumble" a no-entry-fee unsanctioned "exhibition" amateur events. (or hillbilly havok, or salvage slaughter. naming these things is fun.)
Angrytubist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:08 PM   #25
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrytubist View Post
I like the idea of both being common. You pay an entry fee to get into an AADA sanctioned "amateur match" but the local arena also puts on "redneck rumble" a no-entry-fee unsanctioned "exhibition" amateur events. (or hillbilly havok, or salvage slaughter. naming these things is fun.)
Or even a sanctioned "Non-standard" AN duel.

I'd expect any major arena (pop of 100K+, seats of 15K+) to have at least 2, probably 3 models in their AN pool... Simply so that they can have different types of duel.

I'd also expect sanctioned AN's to be
1. no dropped damage causers (mines, spikes)
2. no lasers (reducing fire risk so as to reduce replacement costs)
3. no flamers (again, fire risk)
4. no ramplates (confetti risk reduction)
5. no high-angle weapons - mortars etc - (protect the crowd)

Basically, much as it may seem lame to play, the arena wants duels to last as long as possible without seeming intentionally slowed. one shot every second is plenty for the crowd... the Arena also wants to make it so that there are engagements at each "region" of the arena so the crowds behind the armorplas
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #26
Chris Goodwin

There could be something like "mini-missions" in the arena as well. For instance, before a car can win, it must reach four checkpoints, in order, and shoot a target at each one. That gives the cars something to do besides just drive around and shoot each other, and can make the duels last longer, and can give the drivers more tactical options. Perhaps a vehicle's weapons don't activate until it reaches its first checkpoint.

I've started a subreddit for discussion of INWO and Illuminati. Check it out!
Chris Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote