Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 09-17-2020, 06:00 AM   #1
JimTullis

Default Question about Car Sizes

With the information from UPDATE 75 that the cars will not extend past the base we know all of the cars will fit in spaces that are 3 1/4 × 1 5/8. Now we need to know how tall the tallest car is, and how much height the base adds to that.

I'll probably store cars off the base, but I know some people are planning on storing them on the base.

Knowing how deep our storage slots need to be will let us shop for options while waiting patiently for our cars.
JimTullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:57 PM   #2
LokRobster

Default Re: Question about Car Sizes

In the comments for Update75 I asked about specific size “home-brew” kit bashed cars that would fit on the bases, and got this answer:
Quote:
“So long as you stick to standard die-cast toy cars, you should be completely fine. Just be sure to avoid the cars that are a bit overly large, and don't extend parts more than a mm or so beyond the car.”
I know it doesn’t exactly give a detailed height dimension for a storage slot, but perhaps helps?

Last edited by LokRobster; 09-19-2020 at 09:58 PM. Reason: X
LokRobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 09:56 AM   #3
JimTullis

LokRobster, thanks for the info. Kickstarter is such a mess for comments.

Looking at the measurement photo again, it looks like bases are just under 4 inches by about 1 3/4 with the car portion being about 3 1/4 by 1 5/8 ish.

Be nice to have actual sizes instead of just the one off center photo.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:18 PM   #4
JimTullis

Still wondering about the car sizes.

Also wondering about the size of the dice.
Are they 16mm?
Old 11-11-2020, 09:30 AM   #5
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTullis View Post
Knowing how deep our storage slots need to be will let us shop for options while waiting patiently for our cars.
Jim,
Have you found any good storage options? I've looked at Hot Wheels/Matchbox storage shelves/cases, but they're a bit overpriced. I've looked at nicnac shelves and collectible shelves, but haven't found anything that 1) I'm sure will fit 20+ cars, 2) is reasonably priced for this endeavor, and 3a) will look good on my wall or 3b) will be a great transportable car storage for when they're painted.
Old 11-13-2020, 09:33 AM   #6
JimTullis

MIB.6361,

I have not found a storage solution.
I still do not know how tall the tallest car is while on a base. It is difficult to make decisions without the proper data.
Old 11-13-2020, 10:07 AM   #7
JimTullis

MIB.6361,

I have not found a definative storage solution.
I still do not know how tall the tallest car is while on a base. It is difficult to make decisions without the proper data.

My current go to travel bag for skirmish sized games is a Mary Kay Consultant bag I got from Goodwill. It has 4 PLANO brand 3600 trays with 6 compartments running front to back, but it will hold any standard depth 3600 size trays. Each tray holds all my minis for one skirmish game. Each compartment could hold 2 cars as long as they are no taller than 1 & 3/8 inches.

I'll probably dedicate a tray in that to Car Wars when I travel.

For larger games/figs I have a PLANO guide series tackle box with 4 3700 size trays. 3700 size trays will accommodate cars up to 1 & 5/8 tall.

I'll probably buy one of those for storing the game at home.

All my PLANO trays get padded with soft foam.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:34 AM   #8
Magesmiley

Looking back at my pictures from FnordCon (which were at the 2x size), the prototype bases back then were roughly 3/16" tall. (While I didn't measure the height, I did have a very nice side picture of a base by a ruler). Assuming that value is scaled up by 50%, we'd get a thickness of around a 1/4" to 5/16"

The height of the cars themselves we had there were less than the width of the bases. Somewhere between half a width and a width. This may not hold true for all of the cars, but I suspect it will for the majority.

As to storage and travel, I plan to use Sabol Army Transport bags for mine. You can get the foam thickness equal to the width of the bases and store the cars on their sides (for a profile view when they are stored). They've worked very nicely for my 3X Car Wars vehicles and the pluck foam has the advantage that you can shape the storage spot for the profile of the vehicle that goes in it.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote