Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-20-2006, 04:25 AM   #1
JoelSammallahti

Default Questions about healing wounds

What order do wounds heal in? This doesn't usually matter, but if you've taken damage from attacks with the Symptoms enhancement, it's a big deal. Most severe symptoms are healed first? Last? Take turns?

What about an innate attack with Symptoms and No Wounding? Off-limits? Virtual damage heals at the usual rate? (By the way, if it has No Wounding, does it still cause shock penalties?)

Also, is it fair to take Extended Duration on attacks that heal slowly? Permanent? Or should I somehow combine this with the Wounded disadvantage? If so, what would be correct - Side Effect, or an Affliction with Permanent and Link?

I think I've temporarily exhausted my supply of question marks. Thanks in advance for all advice!
JoelSammallahti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 05:49 AM   #2
Gudiomen

Default Re: Questions about healing wounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelSammallahti
What order do wounds heal in? This doesn't usually matter, but if you've taken damage from attacks with the Symptoms enhancement, it's a big deal. Most severe symptoms are healed first? Last? Take turns?
I don't know, but I suppose last wounds heal first. If you're using basic rules. I use individual wounds, so they heal all simultaneously (yes this speeds up healing, but they also bleed spearately and need separate treatment).

Quote:
What about an innate attack with Symptoms and No Wounding? Off-limits? Virtual damage heals at the usual rate? (By the way, if it has No Wounding, does it still cause shock penalties?)
I'd go with "virtual damage", healing at the usual rate. No Wounding doesn't cause shock, shock is a secondary effect of a wound, of damage... if there's no wound there is no pain, no shock.

Quote:
Also, is it fair to take Extended Duration on attacks that heal slowly? Permanent? Or should I somehow combine this with the Wounded disadvantage? If so, what would be correct - Side Effect, or an Affliction with Permanent and Link?
I'd say no, it isn't legal. You're power is not causing wounds, it's causing damage. So you could theoretically extend the duration of your power, not the effects of your power on the person. Unless your power is a continuous effect on the person. To make wounds heal slower use Slow Healing as an Affliction, maybe a Symptom or Side Effect (not sure wich one is apropriate, IDHMBWM).[/QUOTE]
Gudiomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:00 AM   #3
Brandy

Quote:
IDNHMBWM, but as far as I know damage doesn't have any "memory", so to speak. Once you've checked for any consequences of any single damage roll (things like major wounds and crippling) the wound simply becomes lost HP, unless you're using a house rule to keep up with individual wounds.

So, anything that lasts "until the associated damage is healed" could certainly be ruled to last "until the character is at full HP". I don't have the ability right now to parse the specific text of Symptoms, but I think that that may miss the point somewhat. GURPS assumes that GM's will get involved with this sort of thing and make appropriate adjudications based as much upon the special effects of the thing.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:01 AM   #4
Brandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudiomen
I don't know, but I suppose last wounds heal first. If you're using basic rules. I use individual wounds, so they heal all simultaneously (yes this speeds up healing, but they also bleed spearately and need separate treatment).
I do this as well. I find it very satisfactory, though a bit of extra bookkeeping.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:40 AM   #5
JoelSammallahti

Basic Set says: "In the example above, the Blindness would only end once the victim's HP reached the halfway point." I'm starting to believe this means that even damage with Symptoms has no memory, as you very well put it.

So, you get hit with two attacks, each of which has Symptoms, let's say one has Appearance: Hideous and the other has Stuttering, with the 1/2 HP threshold, and each one does 10 points of damage. You have 12 HP, so you're at -8. You're ugly and you stutter until you've healed up to 6, at which time you're cured of both symptoms.

Well, that's clear enough and playable.

Going back to my other questions, how does one model an attack that causes wounds which don't heal? One might make Unhealing a Side Effect or Symptom. In the first case, would one put the Extended Duration enhancement on the Unhealing disadvantage, the Side Effect enhancement, or the Innate Attack advantage?

What if one wanted to limit the Unhealing to wounds caused by that specific attack, not just any damage the victim suffers? Would one limit the Unhealing disadvantage, and would -80% be a fair limitation value?
JoelSammallahti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 07:55 PM   #6
Orion Deckrect

I really believe that wouds heal from inside to outside. So, any other side effects heals first.

But tell me... How much damage lefts a scar? Can healing spells heal without scars?
Old 12-21-2006, 09:13 AM   #7
The Whiner Knight

I think scars and what have you are up to the GM's call. I would say that magical healing leaves little or no scar; we all know that natural healing can potentially drop your Appearance.

I wouldn't hit a character with a drop in Appearance unless the scar is normally visible when fully clothed (e.g., the face, neck, and hands), and/or the hero in question fails a HT roll specifically to avoid scars.

Of course, wounds to the face have a good chance of blowing through to the brain and ending the hero right there. Resurrection spells that also regenerate lost organs and whatnot certainly don't leave scars; neither do the Regeneration ability or the regeneration spell.

TWK

"When the human race is clocked on the stopwatch of history, it's a new record every time."
The Whiner Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:46 AM   #8
Blood Legend

I have a question about healing wounds to, but I dont wish to clog the forums with another thread. Would Minor/Major/Great Healing heal broken bones? I know it should, but what I mean is, if my bone is sticking out of my arm, would the healing spell place it back appropriately or would it heal like that?

"This is the sort of relatively small error that destroys planetary probes." ~Bruno
Blood Legend is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no wounding, symptoms