Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-07-2018, 09:32 AM   #1
voodoo54

Default Pocket-sized Edition?

I was in my FLGS (Boardwalk in Greenville, SC) the other day. They have a really good selection of board, card and roleplaying games. Even SJ games is well represented. They have a decent selection of Munchkin, Zombie Dice, Ogre, and even a couple of Dungeon Fantasy boxed sets (I backed the kick starter and bought a set from them as my backup). I think I even saw Super Kitty Bug Slap. One thing I’ve noticed is a distinct lack of GURPS products. They have a good selection of D&D 5e and Pathfinder of course. They also have a lot of Star Wars, Genesys, and LOTR books from FFG, COC, Middle-earth, Savage Worlds, FATE, and other game systems. They are not afraid of keeping hard copy RPGs in stock. I was wondering what SJ games could do to get GURPS some better on the shelf representation back in gaming stores. I think FATE, Savage worlds, and Pathfinder have been successful with the pocket sized editions of their books. Is this something SJ games might consider? Maybe a pocket-sized run of the “Core” books? Of course, the Basic set, but also maybe Martial Arts, Powers, Magic, Fantasy, and Space? I don’t mind PDFs, but I much rather have a hard copy in my hand to pass around the table and read without having to stare at a screen. Also seeing it in an actual store would grab my attention much more than maybe seeing it on social media. What are everyone else’s thoughts on this?
voodoo54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:36 AM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: Pocket-sized Edition?

Well, to start with, the Basic Set volumes would be really thick, past the point where you could get them into a pocket.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:39 AM   #3
voodoo54

Keep the Basic set in two books just make them smaller and cheaper. The Pathfinder book is over 500 pages.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:43 AM   #4
Culture20

I haven’t seen GURPS books in stores for over a decade. All of my GURPS books are from second-hand book stores in my town.
Culture20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:21 PM   #5
voodoo54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
I haven’t seen GURPS books in stores for over a decade. All of my GURPS books are from second-hand book stores in my town.
I think that is a huge problem. We all know GURPS is great system or we wouldn't frequent this website. It would be nice to be able to get some visibility back in gaming stores.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:45 PM   #6
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
Ditto. Except, I've gone completely pdf for 4e.

MY FLGS barely has any game books on the shelf, just Pathfinder, but they are mostly a gaming place (card games mostly, but they have an RPG night) and store front for an online store.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:45 PM   #7
Ulzgoroth

Pretty sure the local game store I know about still shelves GURPS 4e. It did last time I checked, certainly.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:58 PM   #8
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I'm not a marketer. I'd certainly want to talk to one before taking this route. I would not purchase such a product. I use pdf's and I love them.

My current location has no FLGS. There may be one 60 miles from it. Count your blessings. My old FLGS had some GURPS books, mostly the basic set and one word title like "space" and "mysteries". Plus the prime directive books, for some reason. I was never able to get a gaming group for gurps going at that location, at least not through in-store interactions. On-line has been much more useful. But then again, my time slots tend to be finicky.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:41 PM   #9
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Well, to start with, the Basic Set volumes would be really thick, past the point where you could get them into a pocket.
I don't see how that would be an issue. Pathfinder has a pocket version of their core rule book, at 576 pages. GURPS Basic Set would be two volumes with the same page count, and so would each be smaller as pocket size.

Edit: as a side note, "pocket size" in this case is actually closer to the digest/trade paperback size.
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:00 PM   #10
Rasputin

Even my massive (Source Comics and Games) FLGS has very little in the way of printed GURPS stuff. (And it's famous for being a big store.) The local little stores have either less or no GURPS. If nobody is carrying the big GURPS books, why would it carry a dinky one? Pathfinder is carried in Barnes & Noble, so it's a different deal.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote