Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-27-2017, 03:50 PM   #31
Refplace

Default Re: Dragon Ball Inspired "Ki" Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibberingmouther View Post

i want there to be a range of power levels - at the beginning you can't use ki blasts and can just fortify yourself a little - near the epic range you can destroy tanks and aircraft. having a "ki reserve" that you paid for bit by bit worked well for this kind of idea, but i still don't like it.

i want ki powers and super science to be about equal to each other, but as i have it now ki powers are barely on a level with regular military technology.
It takes a lot of points for Powers to keep up with high tech but it is doable.
I might just wrote up a Supers type setting with a power list, IMO we need to get past the GURPS does not do well at high power levels meme.
Offensively look at ...
  • Power Stunts
  • Godlike Extra Effort with Meditation replacing the Will roll
  • Ultrapower for Goku
  • Laser beam type attacks wih high levels of Armoe Piercing
  • Explosions, Guided and other enhancements for some attacks, many may have Blockable
Defensively...
  • Injury Tolerance: Damage Reduction
  • Power Parry amd Power Blocks and even Power Dodge fr super speed dodges
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:15 PM   #32
Varyon

Quote:
for ki blasts, i have: ray, medium beam, large beam, scaling sphere, and custom ... should the ray attack be piercing or impaling? this is the kind of thing i'm unsure of. the sphere is crushing burning or otherwise ... not sure about the remaining ki blast shapes
I'd build the Ray as Impaling, as impaling damage is typically the most penetrating type - mail is the only type of armor that protects against some other damage type (in this case, crushing) less than it does impaling, and the most common case for split DR, ballistic cloth, protects much better against piercing than impaling. Tight Beam Burning, like a laser, would also be appropriate for Rays, although that has the disadvantage of lower wounding (both against torso and vitals) and doesn't cause visible bleeding (a victim may still be leaking plasma, which is similar in effect).

For beams, I'd probably make them Crushing, with a Crushing Explosive Follow-up. I'd probably divide them up into light (one-handed), medium (two-handed), and heavy (two-handed, with a charge-up). Roughly speaking, give light beams comparable damage to handguns, medium beams comparable damage to rifles. In both cases, this is both the damage of the carrier attack and the explosive follow-up (although you could probably get by with reducing the follow-up's damage, at least for weaker practitioners). A light beam can probably get through a drone's thin armor, and the explosive follow-up (with a x3 wounding multiplier for being internal) will do the rest. A medium beam is similar, but can handle light to medium vehicles. For tanks and APC's and the like, you'll need a heavy beam, with damage comparable to an RPG or similar. Actually, you may be right in making the two-handed beams typically be the same technique, with typical quick usage being rifle-scale damage and an optional charge-up for dealing with heavy armor.

For spheres, they seem to annihilate whatever gets caught in them - an Area Effect Burning attack seems appropriate, possibly with a linked Crushing (or Burning) explosion. "Other," of course, depends on the shape it takes - Destructo Disk is Cutting, as you note. Actually, I'd probably class Rays as part of "other," as they seem fairly rare as something distinct from typical ki blasts.

And I'll certainly second the "create, don't convert" mindset, which it kind of looks like you're already making some use of.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:03 PM   #33
gibberingmouther

thank you Varyon! i've statted the ki blasts as either burning or crushing explosion but that is still open to being changed. they are about on par with ultra tech, which is what i wanted. a high tier character still has the mobility and tactical options to outperform your typical laser-wielding mook however. i'll quickly share the tier ranking i cooked up (the first three tiers are arguably "realistic", the latter ones belong to fantasy):

Tier 0: no ki powers
Tier 1: can slightly enhance oneself (a karateka breaking a board)
Tier 2: proficient in ki; can enhance onself; can heal
Tier 3: weak ki blasts, flight (your typical alien mook)
Tier 4: ki blasts, significantly enhanced physical
Tier 5: strong ki blasts, warp (teleport)
Tier 6: super powers!
Tier 7: epic

my implementation of ki points was based on action points from the Pyramid article "The Last Gasp". anyway, i'm almost done, i just have to stat out a couple abilities.
gibberingmouther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:30 PM   #34
gibberingmouther

i forgot what i was initially going to post about. i want to tweak the "parrying heavy weapons" rules for my Dragon Ball game. enhanced striking strength is caused primarily an increase in velocity of the blow (along with increasing the durability of the striking limb) - the mass of the fist doesn't change. so a 40 strength karate strike should not be parryable by someone with 10 strength, or even 20 strength maybe. i'm not sure what the rules should be. i'll think about it ... this is one of the last things i have to figure out.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:56 PM   #35
gibberingmouther

so besides trying to figure out about dodging and parrying with ki (it's gotten more complicated), i need to figure out where to cap basic speed. i've decided 4 ki points per 1 yard/second enhancement, but unlike flight which is not capped (besides the speed of light i guess), gravity and biomechanics limit how fast you can move even if your legs are moving at an uncapped rate. any ideas?

edit: so i added a "ki sense" ability that you get for free once you have 15 ki points. it allows you to sense ki energy, and thus should give a bonus to defense from biological foes (but not androids or lasers). is there anything like this in GURPS already?

edit2: for ki sense i might want to give a bonus to defense based on the power level, but this doesn't work well with gurps since you'd quickly be succeeding every roll that you didn't crit fail on. hmm....

Last edited by gibberingmouther; 12-28-2017 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:49 PM   #36
gibberingmouther

i decided on a cap of 20 yards/second for ki-enhanced movement speed.

now i'm trying to figure out how much flight speed should cost. moving at twice basic speed is 1 ki point per movement maneuver (and going slower than that is free so flight is a feasible form of long distance transport), so not expensive, but moving at speeds above this costs extra. the thing is, i'm not sure how much extra it should cost. flight speed should be capable of being much higher than capped movement speed. originally i had a cost of 10 ki points per +1 yard/second but this is pretty crappy it turns out. you're capped at like 20 yards/second while an airplane is moving at i calculated 960,960 yards/second. anyway flight speed should be able to be significantly higher than ground speed.

i also have super saiyan giving twice your power level (ki points per maneuver), but it becomes not so useful after you get a relatively high power level since ki blasts only scale so far. a power level of 200 isn't much better than one of 100, basically. any ideas how to make it more appealing at high levels? and kaioken is a bit expensive, i might make it cost action points instead of fatigue, but then it might be too good ... hmmm....
Old 01-01-2018, 09:16 PM   #37
gibberingmouther

i decided on +25 yards/second flight per 10 ki points spent, so a fighter with a power level of 100 could move about as fast as an aircraft, and a super saiyan or someone using kaioken at that level could go faster.

anyway, i decided that this flight enhancement should give a bonus to dodging ... first i decided on +1 dodge per 10 ki spent, so at the almost epic power level of 100, you could dodge just about everything. but i wanted to make super saiyan and kaioken not useless at high levels, so i changed it to +1 dodge per 20 ki spent (so you max out your dodge around power level 200). ki sense also gives a +1 to defenses against physical attacks from biologicals (but not bullets, for example; and now i just thought i might have to get rid of acrobatic dodge because of stacking abuse...). anyway, let's say you have power level 60 and you use your ki to give you a plus 3 bonus to your dodge score, so it's now 11. but to get this bonus you're moving at maybe 160 yards/second. it seems likely that the act of dodging this fast might place you in an adjacent or farther away hex. are there any existing rules to deal with this, or if not does anybody have a clue how to implement it?
Old 01-02-2018, 09:16 PM   #38
gibberingmouther

i made DR from ki just ignore armor divisors. do you guys think this is too powerful? should i instead just boost up the DR? my ki blasts mostly have armor divisors, so a kamehameha could melt/burst through tank armor for example, but this makes them a little too powerful against ki DR (not balanced how i want it to be). hmmmm....

part of it is i didn't want say a 1,000 point character (costs close to that to get to power level 100) to be taken down in one hit by a laser or gauss rifle. ...

Last edited by gibberingmouther; 01-02-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:42 PM   #39
gibberingmouther

where are the rules for firing an automatic weapon in a sweep? i want to allow something like that for ki blasts but it would help to see the rules.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:22 AM   #40
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
where are the rules for firing an automatic weapon in a sweep? i want to allow something like that for ki blasts but it would help to see the rules.
Spraying Fire and Suppression Fire, both on B409.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote