Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-20-2015, 11:11 PM   #1
tshiggins

Default Campaign: Facets

I came up with an idea for what starts out as a modern-day wainscot fantasy campaign about a year ago, and it has been percolating, ever since.

The characters start out as volunteers with a Search & Rescue team in a world that matches our own, nearly identically. The organization, "Four Corners Search and Rescue" (4CSAR) is loosely based on the well-funded Grand County, Utah, Search & Rescue (GCSAR), based in Moab.

http://www.gcsar.org/241/Grand-Count...h-Rescue-GCSAR

I'd hoped to get it started, last year, but a pretty serious water disaster in my condo, and the subsequent cleanup and repairs, took much longer than anticipated.

That's all done, now, and I picked up the idea, again, several months ago.

We had our first session, Saturday, and I think it went reasonably well. I liked that combat flowed a little more smoothly than is usual for our group, even with three brand new players -- including my sister and her oldest daughter. They worked hard to understand the GURPS system, and did pretty well.

A Quick Recap...

...but first, a word. If you look over at the Falkenstein Campaign thread at, "http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=62649&highlight=tshiggins+falkens tein," you can see how much time I put into session logs and additional information. While fun, it actually drained a lot of my time and creative energies to write up those walls of text.

So, I'm not going to do that, this time. I'll try to limit myself much more in this campaign, than I did over there.

Now, for the fun part.

Characters Present:

Randy "Random" Shoop -- a twenty-something, semi-pro mountain-bike competitor who has trouble staying focused, but is basically a good and reliable member of the team -- Played by Gold & Apple, Inc.

Francis "Jeb" Stuart -- an anti-federal government survivalist and gas station attendant, who believes strongly that local communities should be self-sufficient, and thinks 4CSAR epitomizes that ideal (plus, it provides health insurance) -- Played by Tod H.

Dr. Belody "Doc" Bascher -- a local veterinarian for both large and small animals, who frequently fixates on her job and uses 4CSAR as her primary social outlet. She has a pet pig named Master Oink of the Porcine (just a pet and not an ally, trained to fetch, carry things and squeal when alarmed, meant mostly for comedy relief) -- Played by Samantha H.

Dr. Arthur NOLN (character not quite done) -- a retired NASA scientist with a home in one of Moab's nicer canyon subdevelopments, who volunteers for 4CSAR because he needs to do something to get out of the house -- Played by Anten S.

Deputy Diego "Danny" Torres -- Grand County Sheriff's deputy who acts as the department's community policing officer and works with 4CSAR as needed -- Played by Chris L.

Beatrice "B" Lawrence -- U.S. Army veteran who works for a local air charter service as a helicopter mechanic. A cynic about men, and accompanied by "Grunt," the biggest, best-trained pit-bull anybody has ever seen (purchased as an ally, and a totally badass dog) -- played by Bernetta W.

The eastern sky had begun to pale with pre-dawn light when the six volunteers most widely (if quietly) considered the elite of the Four Corners Search & Rescue team (4CSAR) gathered at the station, across the street from the Grand County Sheriff's Office. The commander of 4CSAR, Pete Munroe, Vice Commander Bertie Meyer and Equipment Officer Miguel "Mike" Ramirez made sure they had coffee and breakfast sandwiches. Grand County Sheriff Allen Brown was also there, along with his liaison deputy, Diego "Danny" Torres, as well as four federal agents.

The volunteers learned that a low-level drug dealer who had in the past limited himself to the sale of two or three kilos of mid-grade ditch-weed marijuana had turned up the day before, June 20, 2014, with a full kilo of good-quality hashish for sale in Salt Lake City. The suspect, who used a number of different names through the years, had then used his proceeds ($70,000-$80,000) for his regular shopping-trip at a Salt Lake City Wal-Mart and a New Age occult ship in Grand Junction, Colorado. He had also stopped at a machine shop in Provo, and then a bicycle place where he purchased an assembled Yuba Mundo cargo bike with some hauler options.

http://yubabikes.com/cargo-bikes/mundo/

After that, he stopped at the Freedom Flag gunshop in Provo, where he promptly engaged in a violation of the federal Gun Owners Protection Act (GOPA), by purchasing four fully-automatic M-4 Carbines with military-grade optics and NATO 5.56mm ammunition -- a distinct departure from his former criminal profile. The agents requested the help of 4CSAR team to locate the suspect, as he had disappeared into the Dark Canyon Wilderness Area, south of Moab and due west of Monticello, Utah, GPS coordinates Latitude : 37.800676 | Longitude : -109.7873.

The team was not to try to capture the suspect, but to locate him and then call in the federal agents to make the arrest. They wanted to know what prompted him to purchase the automatic weapons, and find out why he suddenly felt threatened enough to believe he needed them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Dark...w=1904&bih=946

Following some debate (Randy Shoop and Jeb Stuart expressed serious reservations about assisting "the Feds"), the group agreed to help, and Sheriff Brown asked Deputy Torres to accompany them. The group traveled to the location of the suspect's -- "Señor AKA" -- abandoned rental Chevy Suburban. After searching around a bit, the group picked up the trail of "AKA's" heavily-laden cargo-bike. Bizarrely, the trail headed down into a northern tributary canyon -- a stupid and impossible route, given that the cargo-bike and its load probably exceeded 220 pounds (100 kilos).

The group followed the trail down into the twisty canyon, found a place where the Señor AKA had somehow negotiated an impossible tangle of deadfall trees and rocks from a recent avalanche, and traced him to a slot-canyon off the main tributary stream -- which they knew could not have any sort of exit. They followed the trail, found it dead-ended in a lovely grotto, and determined that he'd taken a small passageway to the west. They had to dig out that passage with hand-tools, as it had been concealed by a large pile of sand.

The members slid down the 10 feet or so to a chamber coated with Ancestral Pueblan ("Anasazi") petroglyphs of all sorts, and saw that another slot-canyon began in that chamber. It sloped upwards at 30 degrees, and went dead-straight west. Additional petroglyphs appeared along the walls, periodically, but they comprised the only sign of human activity in the surrealistically-straight canyon.

Grunt the dog and Master Oink had to be dragged into the chamber, as they became quite distressed the moment the team cleared the passage. A quick check of the cell-phones revealed the screens had gone to static, and the two satellite phones emitted hisses, pops and squeals.

(Close examination of the walls indicated they had been carved by water, just as any other slot canyon, and the floor was coated with deep, damp sand that showed the bicycle tracks, perfectly. They found no tool-marks or any other indication that humans had carved the canyon.)

The team proceeded up the canyon (again, Jeb took some convincing -- he stopped long enough to line his cap with aluminum foil, and refused to holster his pistol), and a thick mist rose around them. As the mist reached its greatest density, each was suddenly affected by a terrible headache (not quite a migraine), and they considered turning back.

They continued onwards, reached the upper end of the canyon, and were promptly attacked by two large humanoid creatures. The creatures were eight feet tall, and had blunderbusses and clubs enhanced with barbed wire on one, and large metal nails on the other.

After a nasty little dustup in which Randy was slightly injured after he charged the giants (but then managed to get one in an armlock long enough for the team to kill it, after they'd gunned down the other), the group explored the lair of the creatures. They quickly discovered that it resembled the troll-cave in the first "Hobbit" movie, with the exception of four honey-cured, pre-cooked hams purchased from Wal-Mart, a bag of brass ball-bearings purchased at a machine-shop in Provo, and most of a five-pound bag of smokeless powder purchased at Freedom Flag Guns.

Perusal of the tracks in the canyon confirmed that Señor AKA had stopped to chat with the two giants, for awhile, before exiting via the opening of a wider canyon, to the north.

A quick check of the phones indicated they had rebooted themselves successfully, but the cell-phones had no bars and the satellite phones couldn't make contact.

###

That's where the session ended. I didn't have the presence of mind to jot down any funny quotes, this first time.

I awarded two experience points, each.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:51 AM   #2
Gold & Appel Inc

Default Re: Campaign: Facets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
[snip] The group traveled to the location of the suspect's -- "Señor AKA" -- abandoned rental Chevy Suburban. After searching around a bit, the group picked up the trail of "AKA's" heavily-laden cargo-bike. Bizarrely, the trail headed down into a northern tributary canyon -- a stupid and impossible route, given that the cargo-bike and its load probably exceeded 220 pounds (100 kilos).

The group followed the trail down into the twisty canyon, found a place where the Señor AKA had somehow negotiated an impossible tangle of deadfall trees and rocks from a recent avalanche [snip]

[snip] I didn't have the presence of mind to jot down any funny quotes, this first time. [snip]
"Guys, I'm really starting to like this AKA guy!" --Randy

Last edited by Gold & Appel Inc; 01-21-2015 at 10:46 AM.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:53 AM   #3
Captain Joy

Quote:
...much time I put into session logs and additional information. While fun, it actually drained a lot of my time and creative energies to write up those walls of text.

So, I'm not going to do that, this time. I'll try to limit myself much more in this campaign, than I did over there.

I awarded two experience points, each.
Do what I do: award a character point for adventure logs. E.g. In my Star Trek game, any player that submits a mission log after an adventure gets an extra character point. In addition to getting campaign records written for you, you get first hand insight into how your PC's see your campaign world.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:45 AM   #4
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Dr. Belody "Doc" Bascher -- a local veterinarian for both large and small animals, who frequently fixates on her job and uses 4CSAR as her primary social outlet. She has a pet pig named Master Oink of the Porcine (just a pet and not an ally, trained to fetch, carry things and squeal when alarmed, meant mostly for comedy relief) -- Played by Samantha H.

[snip] I awarded two experience points, each.
This just occurred to me: You might want to casually suggest to Sam that Signature Gear (Twee Non-Heroic Pig) [1] might be a good investment for her emotional health, unless you think she could handle what's probably going to happen to him in a campaign where we're already getting ball bearings shot at us by freakin' trolls (who seem to have a taste for ham, no less).

Or we could, y'know, build her a 32-point Sumo Pig (12-; he's lazy) [2] Ally, and say MOOTP leveled up in badass, maybe after he's exposed to strange energies IC or something. Just say it with me: Sumo Pig. With the additional bonus that, even as a normal pig, he can eat the bodies! Man-Eating Sumo Pig Cleaner! :]

Last edited by Gold & Appel Inc; 01-21-2015 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:47 PM   #5
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
Do what I do: award a character point for adventure logs. E.g. In my Star Trek game, any player that submits a mission log after an adventure gets an extra character point. In addition to getting campaign records written for you, you get first hand insight into how your PC's see your campaign world.
I do something similar. If people willingly add entertaining in-setting content to the game, I like to reward them for the extra effort.

For instance, in one campaign we both played in (loosely based on Earthdawn), G&AINC wrote these great after-action reports in the voice of his character, a juvenile delinquent orc. They were freakin' hysterical.

It looks like he plans to do the same in Randy's voice. :)
Old 01-21-2015, 09:51 PM   #6
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
This just occurred to me: You might want to casually suggest to Sam that Signature Gear (Twee Non-Heroic Pig) [1] might be a good investment for her emotional health, unless you think she could handle what's probably going to happen to him in a campaign where we're already getting ball bearings shot at us by freakin' trolls (who seem to have a taste for ham, no less).

Or we could, y'know, build her a 32-point Sumo Pig (12-; he's lazy) [2] Ally, and say MOOTP leveled up in badass, maybe after he's exposed to strange energies IC or something. Just say it with me: Sumo Pig. With the additional bonus that, even as a normal pig, he can eat the bodies! Man-Eating Sumo Pig Cleaner! :]
The one-point Signature Gear pig might be a good idea. The first combat was intentionally fairly low-key (although, as you guys will learn, it was in keeping with how the world works), to help the new players get their feet wet with the combat system. Ogres/trolls (tsiants) struggle with the concept of blunderbusses, and even more so with the notion of "fire discipline."

Some of those in the future may be similarly easy, but (for the most part) easy fights will be an exception, rather than the rule.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:12 PM   #7
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
For instance, in one campaign we both played in (loosely based on Earthdawn), G&AINC wrote these great after-action reports in the voice of his character, a juvenile delinquent orc. They were freakin' hysterical.
Thanks! I fell behind and never got caught up when the campaign hit its lull, but I enjoyed the ones I did. I'd post a sample here, but it'd have to be so heavily edited for profanity that it wouldn't be worth reading; the main reason it's funny, IMHO, is the way it's already been crudely edited for profanity in-character, so posting it here would ruin the joke. It is, of course, available over at the always completely NSFW Denver GURPS Forum (whole campaign thread linked, because my reports are also more funny if you read them right after the ones by tshiggins' PC).
Old 01-24-2015, 09:21 AM   #8
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
If I had to definite its inspirations, I'd say it was about 30% Earthdawn, 30% Fallout, 30% MTV's Road Rules for the adolescent drama, and 10% acid trip.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:27 AM   #9
tshiggins

We held the second session of "Facets," tonight. Things got pretty violent.

Characters Present:

Dr. Henrietta "Indiana" Johnson -- A personable, age 29-and-holding Anthropologist who specializes in the pre-Columbian indigenous people of the American Desert Southwest. A Native of Apache Junction, AZ, "Indiana" is good with people and has been fascinated by American Indian religion and folklore since she was a child. Henrietta speaks Apache fluently, and not-so-secretly wishes archaeology could be more like Raiders of the Lost Ark and less like digging in a trench with a trowel and a toothbrush -- Played by Debbie S.

Randy "Random" Shoop -- a twenty-something, semi-pro mountain-bike competitor who has trouble staying focused, but is basically a good and reliable member of the team -- Played by Gold & Appel, Inc.

Francis "Jeb" Stuart -- an anti-federal government survivalist and gas station attendant, who believes strongly that local communities should be self-sufficient, and thinks 4CSAR epitomizes that ideal (plus, it provides health insurance) -- Played by Tod H. (absent this week)

Dr. Arthur Jamison -- a retired NASA scientist with a home in one of Moab's nicer canyon subdevelopments, who volunteers for 4CSAR because he needs to do something to get out of the house -- Played by Anten S.

Deputy Diego "Danny" Torres -- Grand County Sheriff's deputy who acts as the department's community policing officer and works with 4CSAR as needed -- Played by Chris L. (absent this week)

Beatrice "B" Lawrence -- U.S. Army veteran who works for a local air charter service as a helicopter mechanic. A cynic about men, and accompanied by "Grunt," the biggest, best-trained pit-bull anybody has ever seen (purchased as an ally, and a totally badass dog) -- played by Bernetta W.

----

Dr. Henrietta "Indiana" Johnson spent the whole day of June 19, 2014, at an academic conference in Salt Lake City, and didn't get home to Moab, Utah, until nearly midnight. She wound down from the trip and went to bed, woke up the next morning and finally checked her voice-mail at 8 a.m. At that point, she learned that Four-Corner Search-and-Rescue Commander Pete Munroe had initiated the phone-tree, and had asked that all available volunteers come to the station by 5 a.m. -- three hours past. Cursing quietly, Dr. Johnson grabbed her kit and reached the station in a less than 10 minutes and found Vice Commander Bertie Meyer holding down the fort.

Meyer gave Henrietta a brief rundown of the situation, and then sent her down to the incident command post in the Dark Canyon Wilderness Area set up by the commander, and Grand County Sheriff Allen Brown. Henrietta hopped back in her trusty, dusty jeep and arrived at the post in a bit more than an hour. Upon arrival, Commander Munroe introduced her to the Feds, and advised her that the team had tracked the suspect, "Señor AKA" with his cargo bicycle to the edge of the canyon. Apparently, the suspect had made the bizarre decision to take the 100 kilos worth of loaded cargo bicycle into the rugged canyon, and he offered Johnson the choice of either joining the perimeter guard, or trying to catch up with team.

Johnson figured she could travel alone much faster than the group of six people (plus a pack-pig), and elected to follow them. She reached the edge of the rock-slide area, and noted the inexplicable disappearing/reappearing bicycle tracks, and quickly deduced that the team had been just as confused by that. Dr. Johnson trotted down the steep, narrow trail, reached the floor of the tributary canyon, searched around a bit after noting the suspect (and team) had walked in the stream-bed for awhile, but then found where it continued.

She reached the slot canyon into which the group had disappeared, followed, found the excavated passage to the west, slid down the slope and walked into academic tenure.

The chamber at the end had wholly new and undiscovered petroglyphs that matched those left by the Ancestral Pueblans (Anasazi), and Johnson realized she could get at least three publishable papers out of it, because the presence of the new petroglyphs forced re-evaluation of the purpose of the rest of small, previously-uninteresting ruins that dotted the Dark Canyon Wilderness Area.

Dr. Johnson pulled out her phone to take some pictures, and found the screen had gone to static. She then pulled out her digital camera, and saw the same thing. Swearing not-so-quietly, she pulled out journal and made some notes. She also noted the presence of the western passage out, and followed that -- straight into a for-sure, no-kidding Doctorate of Anthropology based on what would be a ground-breaking discovery.

The uncannily straight walls of the slot canyon had four sets of petroglyphs that likely dated back at least 600 years, but which featured symbols not seen anywhere else. Most significant were several sets of "sun-cross" creation wheels that bore a powerful resemblance to those found at sites in the Middle East that dated back to the Bronze Age.

Johnson worked her way slowly up the canyon, making notes and rubbings, until she reached the halfway point. At that point, the mist rose and her head started to pound with a bad headache. She paused a moment, took some ibuprofen with some water, and continued up the slot. She reached the next set of petroglyphs, glanced back and saw that the mist had vanished, and suddenly heard a fusillade of gunfire from the other end of the passage.

The archaeologist rushed the next hundred yard, cautiously walked up the last 20, found her companions gathered around the bodies of the two large humanoids, and heard Randy Shoop's distressed comments about the violent events that had just occurred. She joined the team, heard the story, checked the cave used by the humanoids, and found much more primitive and simplistic petroglyph carvings in a dark corner.

The group started to follow the bicycle trail out of the box canyon via the opening to the north. The group decided to pick up the pace so as to catch up with Señor AKA before dark. Deputy Diego Torres turned his ankle and Arthur stayed back to help him, just as Beatrice (the helicopter mechanic) asked if anybody else noticed the absence of contrails from military aircraft, no national guard choppers, nor any commercial jet traffic, even though southern Utah lay on a fairly direct route between Denver and Las Vegas.

The group continued, and after a bit saw tracks of a half-dozen ponies cross the bicycle trail from the east, and then turn north to follow it. Doc Bascher noted the ponies were shod in a disgracefully inadequate fashion (one didn't even have shoes, at all), and all had riders. The group waited for Torres and Jamison to catch up, moved forward a little more carefully, topped a rise, and saw three American Indians and a red-headed teenage boy dismounted and holding the reins of the six ponies.

The SAR team started down the slope (led by an irritated Doc Bascher), and then pulled up short when Indiana noted that all four of the strangers had faces painted in ways that resembled an Apache war party from the 19th Century. The group sent Dr. Johnson ahead to speak with them and, as she approached, one of them gave a loud whistle. Two other Apaches came down the opposite slope, and were waiting when she arrived.

Johnson and Deputy Torres noted that the group wore ragged sombreros and seemed to be armed with weapons out of a John Ford western. The deputy also noted that not one of the Indians, or even the red-headed teenager, wore blue-jeans. Instead, they wore old-style Spanish or Mexican pantaloons that buttoned up the sides.

The leader of the Apaches expressed some disdain about the notion that the team had sent a woman to talk to him, but seemed reasonable enough despite the war-paint. The rest of the group joined and learned the Apaches were after the person with the bicycle, because he had violated the boundaries of their sacred lands. The confused group made queries, and were flabbergasted to learn from the Apaches that the year was 1918, and they were the northern territories of the area west of the Rocky Mountains claimed (but seldom actually administered) by the Colony of New Spain.

After more confused discussion, the flabbergasted Apaches figured out that the Hispanic Diego was a lawman with the United States. They informed him that nation's borders extended no further than the Continental Divide. However, to the carefully-concealed surprise of the other Apaches, the leader told him they'd leave Sr. AKA to the pursuing team. They all mounted up, and trotted away south, back along the trail.

(Continued, next post)
Old 02-22-2015, 02:28 AM   #10
tshiggins

(Facets, session two, continued)

The SAR volunteers carefully picked their way to the top of the next rise, looked down, and saw that their suspect and a teenaged boy followed by a mongrel dog had set up camp in a mostly-ruined old adobe farmhouse, surrounded by the tumble-down remains of an old stone fence. Two nice horses and a pack-mule were picketed on the opposite side of the ruined structure, as well. Jamison and Lawrence decided to flank along the rise to the west, while Doc Bascher and Jeb Stuart flanked to the east. However, the dog scented the approach of Bascher and Stuart, and the alerted suspect picked up his thoroughly modern .30-06 bolt-action rifle and began to look around.

Deputy Torres tucked his badge into his shirt pocket, and then he, Dr. Johnson and Randy Shoop started down the slope. Señor AKA saw them from about 30 yards away, demanded they stop about 15 yards from him, and seemed shocked when he saw their modern hiking boots, gore-tex jackets and REI backpacks. Johnson immediately claimed the trio had gotten lost, asked if Sr. AKA had any water, and generally came across as a clueless tourist -- right up until the suspect noted that she and Torres both had pistols and became alarmed.

However, the group had gotten close enough, by then, to unnerve Sr. AKA, who demanded they put their pistols on the ground. Dr. Johnson complied, the unarmed Randy rushed forward and asked Sr. AKA to not shoot, and Deputy Torres drew his pistol and advised Sr. AKA that he had no intention of disarming himself. Right then, the dog spun around and barked at the back of the house, having scented Doc Bascher and Jeb Stuart again. The suspect spotted the flanking pair, started to raise his rifle, was ordered to surrender by Torres, and then tackled by the fast-moving Randy.

This unnerved the young man, who drew his Colt pistol, but then couldn't figure out who to shoot, since he was afraid of hitting his father (or the dog biting Randy). Then, he spotted Beatrice and Arthur coming up behind him and shouted a warning to his "Papa," who surrendered, ordered his son to do the same, and called off the dog.

Doc Bascher started to patch up the wounded as the group searched the camp and began to question Sr. AKA. The injured suspect (Randy's tackle had cracked some ribs when Sr. AKA hit the stoney ground) confirmed that it was, in fact, the year 1918, that local U.S. jurisdiction ended more than 100 miles east. Sr. AKA declared that the SAR team members were completely out of their depth and should just go home before nightfall.

Torres responded that, even if it all that were true, there was no way he would allow four military-grade, fully-automatic M-4 carbines to remain in the hands of a drug dealer. The suspect responded that he needed them, badly, because war between the United States and Spain would likely break out within 18 months, and he needed the weapons to protect his family. He said that, once the war broke out, the entire region would turn into a chaotic hell of bandits and broken troops, and he feared the worst.

The group started to sort themselves out for an overnight stay, while they discussed the unexpected moral quandary. That came to a sudden end as the Apaches opened fire on them. The raiding party had worked their way up to the top of the Western side of the valley, unlimbered their Winchesters and Spencers, took aim, and started to shoot.

A nasty little firefight immediately commenced, which resulted in a critically-injured Randy, seriously wounded Sr. AKA and Deputy Torres, and one bloody and seriously irate pack-mule.

The team gave as good as they got, as Deputy Torres put a .30-06 round into one Apache before he got shot, and the other team members returned fire enthusiastically with pistols and a crossbow that had little chance of hitting. Then, Beatrice and Arthur hastily assembled two of the M4s (both had the necessary armory skills), as the Apaches offered to let the group walk away, if they'd only leave behind the cargo, horses and their personal weapons. The group ended the firefight in an authoritative fashion, when Beatrice put three rounds into the Apache leader, and Deputy Torres (who recovered himself just in time to take the second weapon) fired up into the hillside, on full automatic. The Apaches hastily withdrew, and took their wounded with them, just as the sun set in the west.

Doc Bascher spent the next several hours patching up people and a cranky pack-mule, and at one point performed some emergency surgery on the critically-wounded Randy to stop internal bleeding. By the time she was done, Sr. AKA had recovered himself well enough to say he and the rest of the wounded badly needed modern medical care, and that the group should return via the portal, to the home of the SAR team.

The group readily agreed and planned to do so the next morning. The session ended as Deputy Torres asked, "What do we tell people, about all this, once we get back home?"

###

Funny quotes (I remembered, this time!)

Henrietta (upon spotting the petroglyphs): "Ooh! Shiny!"

Beatrice: "Randy's a lunatic. Don't we say that, every time?"

Beatrice (to Henrietta): "We are not takin' the Wal-Mart hams. Just sayin'."
Bascher (who overheard): "They're probably fine."
Beatrice: "Nooo, they're not! We're not taking them!"

Daz (the Apache leader): "Hey! Yanquis! You wanna talk?"
Henrietta: "Go screw yourself! We're way past the point of talking!"

GnAInc (OOC): "A 10 mm semi-automatic will blow a hole through a human being you can toss a cat through."

---

This session went pretty well, despite the rather late start and the need to pause for about an hour so the players of Beatrice and Doc Bascher could go rescue a family-member who lost control of her car. We've got a hella snow-storm hitting Denver, right now.

The rifle combat went much more quickly than I had anticipated, even though my dice got hot that first couple of rounds of rifle-fire, and I had brief visions of a near-TPK. However, the group made the good tactical decision to drag the wounded to cover and take cover themselves. Then Bernetta and Anten successfully figured out they could assemble a couple of the battle-rifles. That turned the tide.

I gave out three character points, for this session, for every PC whose player attended.

Last edited by tshiggins; 02-22-2015 at 12:00 PM.

Tags
cabal, campaign, facets