Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-03-2017, 08:03 PM   #1
gibberingmouther

Default Dragon Ball Inspired "Ki" Hero

EDIT: In case you found this and you know who wrote it, my Dragon Ball setting which I eventually made into a very long game manual changed radically after this. The dumb ideas about telekinesis being the main power and telekinetically compresed balls of plasma were replaced. My original attempt at translating Dragon Ball to GURPS was awful and I replaced it over the course of a few months with a much better version. I guess the original dumb ideas did pave the way for better ones though. My original ideas may have been as terrible as the live action Dragon Ball movie was said to be (honestly I never watched it) but over time I made a better setting closer to the anime and manga. You can message me if you want to learn about it - I decided to leave it unpublished. Originally, ki was a type of spirit energy. Later, ki became spirit matter that evaporated off of your spirit body, but you could infuse it with spirit energy. In the real world, in my mind, ki is a form of creativity that comes forth from your soul. Unfortunately, I think my first attempt at GURPSifying Dragon Ball had poor ki flow but I got better at it over time.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...fy-Dragon-Ball

I actually joined just to share this. Steve Jackson Games can do whatever they want with the idea, since it's posted here, but the stuff in Goodkill's sig is all copyrighted.

Anyway, I've whittled down the concept rather than actually implemented the GURPS rules for it yet. I am getting the GURPS Supers book for Christmas but haven't looked at it yet.

A Ki-powered superhero, though inspired by Dragon Ball and legends related to "ki" or "chi", could make a good superhero in general (there's also Naruto and Avatar TLA ... Max Steel ... similar super powers). I made another post in that forum about "GURPSifying" superheroes, but the consensus was just for me to buy GURPS Supers and read that.

What do you guys think about it? It was inspired by my childhood love for DB and recently by dreams I've had - usually where I have telekinesis or Dragon Ball super powers (flight usually; kaioken or super saiyan; as i said in the thread, i usually fail at manifesting ki blasts and instead manifest yogurt or food ... which is still energy so my mind is clever like that).

Last edited by gibberingmouther; 07-21-2019 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Update About My Content
gibberingmouther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:14 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Dragon Ball Inspired "Ki" Hero

Do you have GURPS Powers? You need that to really take advantage of GURPS Supers.
Powers is more of a mechanic is tool kit and Supers is more of a genre and setting building tool kit. In fact for Naruto I would advise GURPS Thaumatology Chinese Elemental Powers over GURPS Supers (same author).

There are several threads on Naruto and some on on Dragon ball.
The Super forms are the biggest challenge, for those I might just say something like....
Base form 500 points.
Super Sayain 1 Altered Form on 1000 points and just say its a campaign feature that a Sayain can change to that form and be built on those points for when the GM wants it to happen.
Altered Time Rate, DR, Injury Tolerance: Damage Reduction, Innate Attacks, Super ST, etc all are available.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:22 PM   #3
Bicorn

The super saiyajin form should have a fatigue cost. It's been a plot point in DB Super a few times now that fighting in super forms tires you out faster, hence why they avoid using it constantly in the drawn-out tournament fights.
Bicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:23 PM   #4
gibberingmouther

okay, i added GURPS Powers to my Christmas list. thanks for the input Refplace! game design is my hobby - neverwinter nights got me into it when i was a kid and now it is a bit of an obsession.

GURPS is one of my favorite systems. i DM a D&D 3.5 game but played GURPS once with my players, when not all of them could make it so we couldn't play our D&D campaign.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:20 PM   #5
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicorn View Post
The super saiyajin form should have a fatigue cost. It's been a plot point in DB Super a few times now that fighting in super forms tires you out faster, hence why they avoid using it constantly in the drawn-out tournament fights.
Yeah, you can buy that with Costs FP on abilities or even a Weakness that does FP damage rather than HP damage.

Yeah GURPS is ideal for the tinkering type GMs or players.
That turns off a lot who want a grab and go system but hopefully things like the DFRPG will aleaive that perception problem.
I could easily do Dragonball but depending on the power level your talking a LOT of points.
My GURPS Wiki entries

Last edited by Refplace; 12-03-2017 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:05 PM   #6
gibberingmouther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Yeah, you can buy that with Costs FP on abilities or even a Weakness that does FP damage rather than HP damage.

Yeah GURPS is ideal for the tinkering type GMs or players.
That turns off a lot who want a grab and go system but hopefully things like the DFRPG will aleaive that perception problem.
I could easily do Dragonball but depending on the power level your talking a LOT of points.
in Dragon Ball Xenoverse, super saiyan was implemented as having a drain on your ki energy points, and when they ran out the transformation ended. that was for game design purposes though and doesn't quite match up with my idea of how to GURPSify DB. if your Ki points run out, you are flat out out of energy and can only do mundane things. like Gohan after helping Goku to go SS God in DB Super. but if you are basing off of DB at higher levels of power fighters have so many ki points it would be hard to run out of them. and saiyans and sometimes others are able to plumb the depths of themselves to find more energy (Goku does this a lot).

i was looking at X Men powers and there are some that are similar to what's in the DB series.

DB Xenoverse is a good place to look for stealing ideas to get this GURPSified DB-inspired superhero campaign setting up an running. i don't like stealing ideas though and prefer to do things from the bottom up and relying on inspiration from my subconscious (or muse, whatever you want to call it) or dreams.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:11 PM   #7
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibberingmouther View Post

DB Xenoverse is a good place to look for stealing ideas to get this GURPSified DB-inspired superhero campaign setting up an running. i don't like stealing ideas though and prefer to do things from the bottom up and relying on inspiration from my subconscious (or muse, whatever you want to call it) or dreams.
It really depends on the power level you want.
If you buy your powers having to work off a Chi or Ki energy reserve instead of normal FP they can run out of juice and controlling the cap on ER is a way to control how long they can sty in enhanced forms.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 12-03-2017, 11:22 PM   #8
gibberingmouther

i just want to say, today was definitely a weird day for me to come on these forums with this. a weird day where i thought about weird things in a sort of unhealthy way (being obsessed with my dreams).

i'll probably resurrect this thread around Christmas time once i have my hands on those books, if that's alright.

i doubt i'll have the momentum i do now though. when i'm working on my video game (going to school for comp sci) i sometimes talk to people (mainly my dad or best friend) to work up "momentum" on whatever i'm working on, if it's possible to discuss it with non-programmers.

Last edited by gibberingmouther; 12-03-2017 at 11:24 PM. Reason: content
Old 12-03-2017, 11:28 PM   #9
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibberingmouther View Post
i just want to say, today was definitely a weird day for me to come on these forums with this. a weird day where i thought about weird things in a sort of unhealthy way (being obsessed with my dreams).

i'll probably resurrect this thread around Christmas time once i have my hands on those books, if that's alright.

i doubt i'll have the momentum i do now though. when i'm working on my video game (going to school for comp sci) i sometimes talk to people (mainly my dad or best friend) to work up "momentum" on whatever i'm working on, if it's possible to discuss it with non-programmers.
Sounds good, see ya later this month!
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 12-04-2017, 05:51 PM   #10
gibberingmouther

okay, i had some more thoughts on a conceptual level. soon i'll be done with this, and then resume with the actual mechanics once i have Supers after Christmas. it's distracting me from doing my homework.

i was trying to figure out how super strength or speed (which translates to power of martial arts blows) via "ki energy" would work, if it would make any sense at all. then i realized it could be like telekinesis - the spirit body moves with superhuman speed or strength, and the body is attached to it. so it would be the intensity of the telekinesis - which i am having trouble linking to "ki energy", but this would be a way for it to work. i don't know enough about biomechanics to say, could the "ki energy" work on a molecular level to enhance muscle contraction.

if anybody DOES know biomechanics enough to comment on this, i wouldn't mind input!

superhuman resilience could also be a form of telekinesis - the spirit body's impermeability is connected to the body's. so that's all i wanted to say. ki energy could work in some other form than this sort of spirit telekinesis, but i don't know how that would work.

i like this because it is elegant - it reduces everything to telekinesis and energy manipulation. healing wounds could be restoring the body to the shape and character of the spirit body for example.

Last edited by gibberingmouther; 12-04-2017 at 06:20 PM. Reason: content