Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-10-2015, 10:30 AM   #1
Snaps

Default A Gun as a Familiar

I'm playing in a game where I have a gun fetish (pun intended). In other words, I've bound a spirit into a gun. The GM wants me to build this as an Ally. What's the best way to go about this?

My main question is the actual attack of the gun itself. Does the Ally buy an innate attack, and then has things like let the character shoot it by pulling the trigger (Must be wielded and Compartmentalized Mind come to mind here).

Or do I buy the attack as an Innate Attack, with the the Granted by familiar limitation? Can you do it either way?
Snaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:37 PM   #2
Phantasm

Default Re: A Gun as a Familiar

There's stuff in Thaumatology - the chapter on Material Magic, IIRC - for this.

I believe the Ally would have the Innate Attack, in this case. Thaumatology gives an intelligent magic sword as an Ally as the example; start from that?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:00 AM   #3
Celti

The gun buys Innate Attack and Compartmentalised Mind (Controls). Add Must Be Wielded, -30% if he can't fire himself, or -20% if he can't fire himself but he can keep other people from firing him.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:49 AM   #4
Culture20

How would you model an intelligent gun (or crossbow) that is sessile, must be wielded, but can fire itself "when the wielder lines the aim correctly"? Use its own skill? Provide bonuses to the wielder's skill? The innate attack Takes Extra Time based on how much the wielder missed their attack roll? Innate attack doesn't fire unless both gun and wielder succeed attack roll or both fail?
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:44 AM   #5
Nereidalbel

Enzo Matrix, is that you?

Your Ally would buy the Innate Attack, and an IQ of 6 or better allows it to choose not to fire for anybody it doesn't like. If you want Gun to be better in the user's hand than on its own, buy two versions of the IA as AA to each other, with the Must Be Wielded version having a higher RoF/Acc.

For the sessile weapon, it's best built as a Gadget-limited IA with a fairly high Acc value.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote