Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-26-2019, 08:14 AM   #41
Luke Bunyip

Default Re: Dangers in a Post Apocalyptic World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
In GURPS terms, supers possess the equivalent of Social Stigma in the dark future of AEON.
Aha. I had the power dynamic the wrong way round. My bad. This way has much more play, setting wise.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:14 AM   #42
Luke Bunyip

In regards to Macropodidae in 'Merica, kangaroos and wallabies are found in different niches.

Kangaroos prefer to hang out in extending family groups (called mobs) on the edges of woodland, with access to a lot of grassland. Any grass or monocot crops is a viable food source. Definitely any grain crop (not sure about corn) would be open pickings. Note, they jump over standard height stock fencing with ease (occasionally one may misjudge, and you may find it dying /it's carcass hanging upside down with it's back feet entangled in the two top rows of wire.

An encounter with a group of PCs could be kinetically emotional for all parties concerned. They have a cruising speed of 15 km/h (9.3 mph), but with a top speed of up to 70 km/h (43 mph). Combine this with the ability to hop 8m (25') in a single bound, and the capacity to readily change direction, an adult roo can be a hazard in itself, causing sufficient damage to render a vehicle inoperable.

Individually an adult roo will attempt to grapple with it's forearms, and whilst balancing on it's tail, and use both legs for a pair of very strong synchronised kicks. Broken ribs, pelvis, and/or femur are all likely. As for a groin kick... Varys waves belated hello.

If attacked by dogs, they will head into the nearest water. If the dogs pursue, they will back up until the dogs can no longer touch the bottom, and they will then use their forelimbs to push the dog's head underwater. Dingo, dog, wolf, they don't care.

Wallabies, a shy and solitary species, prefer woodlands. They primarily graze on low and prostrate herbs and shrubs. They have the capacity to overnight demolish a vegetable garden, plot of medicinal plants, etc. Rather susceptible to attack by dogs, they could potentially be found in remote areas, away from settlements with their associated predatory dogs and cats.

If you need to know about Antipodean possums, ask (E).

Last edited by Luke Bunyip; 07-26-2019 at 11:18 AM.
Luke Bunyip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:20 PM   #43
dcarson

News story on odd animals some people raise. Massachusetts Police Warn of Aggressive Yaks
Not somewhere you think to find yaks.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:32 PM   #44
(E)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Bunyip View Post

If you need to know about Antipodean possums, ask (E).
This year's tally so far 740.

Which incidentally has a yield of about 30kgs of semi hollow fur which is ideally suited for high quality cold weather garments.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:44 PM   #45
Christopher R. Rice

That's pretty awesome. Also, people are just weird sometimes.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:20 PM   #46
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post

Which incidentally has a yield of about 30kgs of semi hollow fur which is ideally suited for high quality cold weather garments.
Not sure how many my parents' place has been seeing. It's not enough to be worth collecting the skins or fur, so they get fed to my Mum's cats.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:43 PM   #47
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
One of our more irritating marsupials. A pair sound like two angry drunks, arguing over the last of the metho and orange juice.

Quote:
...Which incidentally has a yield of about 30kgs of semi hollow fur which is ideally suited for high quality cold weather garments.
Can attest to that. Fun fact, it's illegal to kill (not to mention, skin) possums in Australia, so all of our possum fur items are imported from NZ.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:07 PM   #48
Christopher R. Rice

So I'm considering adding some effects to Dark Fog. Since it's basically sheared reality what game mechanical hazards might it provide against someone within it or going into it?

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:32 PM   #49
Varyon

Quote:
So I'm considering adding some effects to Dark Fog. Since it's basically sheared reality what game mechanical hazards might it provide against someone within it or going into it?
Taking them apart at a molecular level would be nasty, of course, but a bit boring seeing as it's basically just "You die horribly." Giving them superpowers related to taking things apart might be more interesting, particularly if the powers tend to be uncontrollable and/or the person suffers severe mental trauma during the process (basically, Dark Fog can create dangerous, mentally-unhinged supers). Twisting their bodies in other ways - such as fusing them with creatures/objects from the other side in some manner - could also be interesting. Partially unphasing them with reality - perhaps giving the Insubtantiality/Permeation - is another option.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:01 PM   #50
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Maybe uncontrollable teleportation from one point within it to another?
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote