Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 12-07-2019, 09:46 AM   #1
Bestial Warlust

Default The Fantasy Trip: Outdoor Encounter Cards

HAs anyone bought these? How are they? I assume they aren't part of the decks of destiny kickstarter.
Bestial Warlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:40 AM   #2
larsdangly

Default Re: The Fantasy Trip: Outdoor Encounter Cards

I got them and think they are well worth the price and a great addition to the game. They are system-neutral, but have a vibe in line with other TFT materials. Very creative and fun.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 05:44 PM   #3
ParadoxGames

They are a great random inspiration for a GM going through a creative dry spell, or to give a novice GM like me aid.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:54 AM   #4
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Thanks, gang! Very kind of you to say about those cards.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:12 AM   #5
philreed
I do stuff and things.

The cards are available at Warehouse 23:

http://www.warehouse23.com/products/...ncounter-cards
Old 02-15-2020, 01:26 PM   #6
hcobb

Posted a video review https://youtu.be/BpB5OU5ke6Y
Old 02-15-2020, 06:26 PM   #7
larsdangly

Cool. I like these a lot. As soon as I got and started using my Decks of Destiny boxed set I decided: 1) I wished the outdoor encounter cards fit into the appropriately sized organizing box, along with the Rumors cards. And 2) it would be really cool if we had a corresponding journal. I was initially unsure there would be any use for the journals for treasures, rumors, etc. But now that I have and have started using them I find the journals indispensable. They are the corporate memory of your campaign, so you can use the card decks but also keep track of what ended up where. And it gives you a place to personalize them, as new people, places and events get tied to them as soon as they get played.
Old 02-16-2020, 02:42 AM   #8
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
CBut now that I have and have started using them I find the journals indispensable. They are the corporate memory of your campaign, so you can use the card decks but also keep track of what ended up where. And it gives you a place to personalize them, as new people, places and events get tied to them as soon as they get played.
This is exactly the reason for the journals. They make a great place to keep track of how cards resolve during a campaign. I suspect that we'll find in the future that there's a demand for reprints of some of the journals; especially with GMs and players who keep playing the game for years.
Old 02-16-2020, 02:30 PM   #9
larsdangly

I think the Labyrinth journal in particular is going to need a quick reprint, because it enables a super convenient way of creating a fully stocked, good sized dungeon: just draw cards and lay them out, using drop tables or other methods of your own devising to stock as you go. The journal is then effectively the write-up for that labyrinth. But when you start fresh on another you will want to stock differently for each card.

Two related tools that are still missing: a way to record your layout of labyrinth hexes; and a way to key your MH tiles to your labyrinth hex layout. I.e., it would be cool if you could easily keep track of which MH tiles you want to go where
Old 02-16-2020, 03:33 PM   #10
FireHorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
…a way to key your MH tiles to your labyrinth hex layout. I.e., it would be cool if you could easily keep track of which MH tiles you want to go where
That would be cool, but it would have required some kind of identifying marks (tiny letters and/or numbers) on all the tiles, which would have uglied them up a bit. And you'd still wind up having to sort through them all to find the ones you needed anyway.

Plus, too late now. ;)
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote