Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-14-2016, 02:23 PM   #291
aesir23

Default Re: [SUPERS] My Unofficial Handbook to the DC Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infornific View Post
For Powergirl you could always just borrow from the Justice League cartoon and make her a clone, if you want to avoid parallel universes.
It's a good idea, but I like the idea of a sparse sprinkling of characters from other realities. At least PG and maybe Alexander Luthor, Jr.

I plan on using the clone origin story for Superboy (Conner Kent), however.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 02:38 PM   #292
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
Oh, and Indomitable and Unfazeable (he's seen it all before), and Trained by a Master and Weapons Master (52,000 years is plenty of time to learn everything about combat).
I've edited him to add Trained by a Master, Power Blow, and Mental Strength.

I've decided to keep Reawakened for his long life--I gave it to Ra's Al Ghul as well, and it works well to represent their vast experience and unique knowledge of the past.

I may end up giving him some form of Modular Abilities, but I'm going to read some more comics before revisiting him.

Coming Soon: The Ultra-Humanite, the rest of the JSA (Star-Spangled Kid, Sandman, and Power-Girl), and either the Secret Six or a long over-due attempt to create Superman and his supporting cast.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:20 PM   #293
Otaku

I actually can see Reawakened as a decent kludge for handling all those skills which are known across the Tech Levels. Which would logically include language as well. Savage likely has a practical understanding of language that would rival many a linguist, simply because he has first hand experience with how at least certain tongues have evolved over not just decades, but centuries and even millennia (depending upon when he learned them).

Especially in more pulp adventure kinds of stories, that seems like a great tool for stories.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:15 AM   #294
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
I actually can see Reawakened as a decent kludge for handling all those skills which are known across the Tech Levels. Which would logically include language as well. Savage likely has a practical understanding of language that would rival many a linguist, simply because he has first hand experience with how at least certain tongues have evolved over not just decades, but centuries and even millennia (depending upon when he learned them).

Especially in more pulp adventure kinds of stories, that seems like a great tool for stories.

I have previously used a bang skill old crap! To represent a super with a long life.

Stuck on an old time sailing ship filled with explosives heating for port, roll old crap! To steer.

Need to operate an 8th century spy kite? Old crap!. Send a telegraph, read an alchemical treatise, know the true history of a relic, all old crap!

It only came up roughly once per adventure if I was lucky, but it always made everyone at the table grin.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:17 PM   #295
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
I have previously used a bang skill old crap! To represent a super with a long life.

Stuck on an old time sailing ship filled with explosives heating for port, roll old crap! To steer.

Need to operate an 8th century spy kite? Old crap!. Send a telegraph, read an alchemical treatise, know the true history of a relic, all old crap!

It only came up roughly once per adventure if I was lucky, but it always made everyone at the table grin.
Heheh. I like this. What I did with Captain America and Namor aren't quite so bad, but then they're only pushing 100. :) Cap has History (Twentieth Century) at high levels, but then again he's lived it! Namor's been busy running Atlantis since '57, so there's not much else to say there. If I was to have someone really old show up - hmm... Immortus? perhaps - then can I steal "Old Crap!" from you? :)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:09 PM   #296
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Heheh. I like this. What I did with Captain America and Namor aren't quite so bad, but then they're only pushing 100. :) Cap has History (Twentieth Century) at high levels, but then again he's lived it! Namor's been busy running Atlantis since '57, so there's not much else to say there. If I was to have someone really old show up - hmm... Immortus? perhaps - then can I steal "Old Crap!" from you? :)
Absolutely, if it fits go ahead and use it.

Until I came up with the bang skill I was largely doing what you did here trying to figure out which of the 'spirit guidance' or modular abilities would best fit.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:13 AM   #297
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
I can see that this would work well, especially for a Cinematic campaign. But I've pretty much sworn off Wildcard! skills for this exercise.

If you look at the options game-mechanically:
Racial Memory doesn't make sense--it just allows you to remember scenes and situations your ancestors experienced (and it's unclear what benefit that is, apart from functioning like Common Sense, Intuition, or Hidden Lore in some situations): but there is no advantage necessary to remember scenes and situations from your own life--it's a given.

Modular Abilities, Wildcard! skills, and Wild Talent are all just short-cuts to say, "my character actually has more skills than I wanted to record on his sheet. Time saving and a simplifying, sure, but unnecessary when I'm not operating without a budget.

Reawakened allows you to buy anachronistic skills (including purchasing them in-game without a teacher or any other justification). Which means if I forget a skill that makes sense, Vandal (or Ra's, or whoever) can just buy it with any extra points they have. It really does everything I strictly need it to.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:21 AM   #298
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
I can see that this would work well, especially for a Cinematic campaign. But I've pretty much sworn off Wildcard! skills for this exercise.

If you look at the options game-mechanically:
Racial Memory doesn't make sense--it just allows you to remember scenes and situations your ancestors experienced (and it's unclear what benefit that is, apart from functioning like Common Sense, Intuition, or Hidden Lore in some situations): but there is no advantage necessary to remember scenes and situations from your own life--it's a given.

Modular Abilities, Wildcard! skills, and Wild Talent are all just short-cuts to say, "my character actually has more skills than I wanted to record on his sheet. Time saving and a simplifying, sure, but unnecessary when I'm not operating without a budget.

Reawakened allows you to buy anachronistic skills (including purchasing them in-game without a teacher or any other justification). Which means if I forget a skill that makes sense, Vandal (or Ra's, or whoever) can just buy it with any extra points they have. It really does everything I strictly need it to.
You missed Wild Talent, possibly with Retension.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:10 AM   #299
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
You missed Wild Talent, possibly with Retension.
No, I listed it with Modular Abilities. It's an option, sure, but no different than modular abilities.

(In fact, I'm surprised it's it's own advantage in 4e--there's never any reason not to take a Slotted Cosmic Modular Ability (Skills Only) instead. If you take it with 8 points available and limited use 1/day, it's only 24 points (versus 20 for Wild Talent), functions the same for Very Hard Skills, and is MUCH better for Hard, Average, and Easy skills).

As for Retention, the freedom to put available points into any skill from the past is explicitly included in Reawakened, so that part's covered.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:49 AM   #300
Prince Charon

Per request from the OP, I'm trying to work on the Kryptonian Martial Art Klurkor, and have a very early, very incomplete draft up in the Kryptonian Martial Arts styles thread, if anyone wants to take a look, and maybe help.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batman, dc comics, phantasm, superman, supers, vonkatzen