Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-02-2015, 03:30 PM   #231
aesir23

Default Re: [SUPERS] My Unofficial Handbook to the DC Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infornific View Post
Charlton Comics had a Catwoman expy called Lynx. If you're putting the Charlton characters in the 1960s and 1970s you could have Lynx as an analog for Earth 2 Catwoman and perhaps Blue Beetle as the Earth 2 Batman analog. That could lead to someone like the original Huntress. Of course that's wandering much further from existing continuity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman View Post
I wouldn't quibble over it. Neat idea!
I agree, it's an interesting notion...but it seems like it might cheapen Helena Bertinelli a bit, whom I quite like.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:11 PM   #232
Randyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
I agree, it's an interesting notion...but it seems like it might cheapen Helena Bertinelli a bit, whom I quite like.
As do I, which definitely makes it a hard choice. Except... Ms. Bertinelli could be the second bearer of the Huntress name/mantle/legacy, succeeding the daughter of Blue Beetle and Lynx, who would have been the first Huntress.

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:57 PM   #233
Phantasm

I should note that there was a post-WWII villainess named Huntress as well (retconned in Young All-Stars to being a former hero before she went bad), which would have made Helena Wayne (or this proposed daughter of Blue Beetle and Lynx) the second Huntress, and Bertinelli the third.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:10 PM   #234
Infornific

Quote:
Fair enough. She does add a bit of grit to the Bat-family. Incidentally if you ever bring Jason Todd back you might take inspiration from the Under the Red Hood animated feature. It came up with a relatively logical explanation for his resurrection and made him an interesting character who I could see sometimes working with the Huntress.
Infornific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:21 AM   #235
aesir23

Hero: The Flash (I)
Alias: Jay Garrick

Allies and Affiliations: Justice Society of America, All-Star Squadron, Flash Family.

Notable Enemies: Baron Blitzkrieg, Doctor Alchemy, The Fiddler, The Shade

Jay Garrick was one of the sharpest scientific minds in his generation. He completed PhDs in both Chemistry and Physics while still in his 20s and soon founded his own research company, Garrick Laboratories, in his hometown of Keystone City.

It was while working late in his lab that a chemical explosion put him in touch with the Speed Force. He was the first person in the super-hero era to connect with this mysterious elemental power, the first to bear the name "Flash", and one of the first Super-Heroes, period.

He fought alongside the greatest of the first age of super-heroes in the original JSA and All-Star Squadron. Like most members of the JSA at that time, he was trained in boxing by Wildcat and judo by Black Canary (Dinah Drake).

While he was unable to engage in direct conflict on the fronts of WWII (because of the spear of destiny), he was instrumental in keeping the homefront safe from saboteurs, spies, and super-villains.

Like the rest of the JSA, he vanished in 1959 (at the age of 39) and didn't return until 1988, where he identified himself and took over Garrick Laboratories again. Since then, he's continued to age gracefully and now fights crime in his sixties. He's served as a mentor to many other heroes, both as a scientist and as a super-hero.

As a result of his journey through time and the necessity of proving who he is to reclaim his business, Jay's identity is publicly known, so he must take extra precautions to protect his loved ones.

Very recently, he's joined up with his former teammates, and a few new legacy heroes, to form a new JSA.

Quote:
Name: Jay Garrick AKA The (Original) Flash

Attributes [230]
ST 13 [30]
DX 14 [80]
IQ 14 [80]
HT 14 [40]

HP 13
Will 14
Per 14
FP 14

Basic Lift 34
Damage 3d-1/5d+1

Basic Speed 11 (Basic Speed includes +4 from 'Extra Basic Speed')
Basic Move 11

Ground Move 11/352
Water Move 2

Social Background
TL: 8 [0]
Cultural Familiarities: Western (Native) [0].
Languages: English (Native) [0]; German (Accented) [4].

Advantages [1708]
Mundane:
Ally (Dr. Mid-Nite) (50% of starting points) (9 or less) [2]
Ally (Sandman) (50% of starting points) (9 or less) [2]
Ally (Sentinal) (Alan Scott) ) (100% of starting points) (9 or less) [5]
Ally (Starman) (50% of starting points) (9 or less) [2]
Ally (Wildcat) (50% of starting points) (9 or less) [2]
Independent Income (4) [4]
Natural Scientist (4) [40]
Reputation (As Flash) (One of the original superheroes!) (2) (10 or less; Almost everyone) [5]
Very Fit [15]
Wealth (Filthy Rich) [50]

Powers:

General:
Speed Talent (4) [20]
Ultra Power (Elemental (Speed Force)) [48]

Faster Time-Rate and Reactions:
Altered Time Rate (4) (Elemental (Speed Force); Super-Speed) [460]
Alt: Crushing Attack (Infinite Mass Punch) (30) (All-Out; Alternative Attack; Armor Divisor (2); Double
Knockback; Elemental (Speed Force); Melee Attack: Reach C) [33]
Alt: Crushing Attack (Whirlwind Generation) (15) (All-Out; Alternative Attack; Area Effect (8 yd); No Wounding; Double Knockback; Elemental (Speed Force)) [29]
Enhanced Parry (all parries) (2) (Elemental (Speed Force)) [19]
Enhanced Time Sense (Elemental (Speed-Force)) [43]
Extra Basic Speed (+4) (Affects Speed; Elemental (Speed Force)) [76]
Enhanced Block (2) (Elemental (Speed Force)) [10]
Enhanced Dodge (2) (Elemental (Speed Force)) [29]
Trained By A Master (Elemental (Speed Force)) [29]

Super-Speed:
Enhanced Move! (Ground) (2) (Cosmic (Instantaneous Acceleration); Elemental (Speed Force); Handling Bonus (+5); Wildcard Power!) [272]
Enhanced Move (Ground) (3) (Cosmic (Instantaneous Acceleration); Elemental (Speed Force); Handling Bonus (+5)) [102]
Alt: Warp (Alternate Ability to Enhanced Move) (Accessibility (Only Places You Could Run To) (+2); All-Out; Alternative Ability; Blind; Elemental (Speed Force); Extra Carrying Capacity (Medium Encumbrance); Nuisance Effect: Actually crosses intervening distance.; Range Limit (10,000 miles); Reliable (+10)) [31]
Alt: Jumper (Time) (Accessibility (Only When Running at Full Speed) (+1); All-Out; Alternative Ability; Can Carry Objects (Medium Encumbrance); Costs CP; Drift; Elemental (Speed Force)) [3]
Alt: Jumper (World) (Accessibility (Only When Running Full Speed) (+1); All-Out; Alternative Ability; Can Carry Objects (Medium Encumbrance); Costs CP; Elemental (Speed Force); New Worlds) [6]
Striking ST (15) (Elemental (Speed Force)) [72]

Speed-Force Aura:
Damage Resistance (Speed Force Aura) (15) (Accessibility (Only When Running) (+1); Elemental (Speed Force); Force Field; Hardened (+1); Limited (Physical)) [79]
Striking Surface [1]

Vibrate out of Frequency with Matter:
Permeation (Everything) (Alternative Ability (To Enhanced Move); Can Carry Objects (Medium Encumbrance); Elemental (Speed Force); Requires Concentrate) [21]
Alt: Imbue (3) (Alternative Ability (To Permeation); Environmental (Speed Force); Limited Skill Access (Two Skills) (Ghostly Weapon & Penetrating Strike) [3]

Rapid Healing and Tirelessness:
Regeneration (Very Fast: 1HP/Sec) (Elemental (Speed Force); Fatigue Recovery) [195]
Resistance +8 (Aging) [2]

Flash Ring:
Shtick (Instant Costume Change) (Gadget: Can be Stolen by Stealth or
Trickery) [1]
Supersuit (Gadget: Can be Stolen by Stealth or Trickery) [1]

Perks [5]
Style Familiarity (Boxing) [1]
Style Familiarity (Judo) [1]

Disadvantages [-65]
Charitable (12 or less) [-15]
Code of Honor (Comics Code) [-15]
Enemy (Rogues Gallery) (Equal in power to the PC) (9 or less) [-10]
Pacifism (Cannot Kill) [-15]
Sense of Duty (People of Keystone City) (Large Group) [-10]

Quirks [-3]
Incompetence (Computer Operation) [-1]
Never uses foul language. [-1]
Some 1940's attitudes and expressions [-1]

Skills [105]
Acrobatics DX/H - DX-2 12 [1]
Administration IQ/A - IQ+0 14 [2]
Area Knowledge (Keystone City) IQ/E - IQ+0 14 [1]
Area Knowledge (World) IQ/E - IQ+0 14 [1]
Biology/TL8 (Earthlike) IQ/VH - IQ+1 15 [1]
includes: +4 from 'Natural Scientist'
Body Sense DX/H - DX+0 14 [4]
Boxing DX/A - DX+1 15 [4]
Bullet Parry Tech/H - 12 [5]
Chemistry/TL8 IQ/H - IQ+4 18 [4]
Current Affairs/TL8 (Business) IQ/E - IQ+0 14 [1]
Current Affairs/TL8 (Science & Technology) IQ/E - IQ+0 14 [1]
Electronics Operation/TL8 (Scientific) IQ/A - IQ+0 14 [2]
Electronics Repair/TL8 (Scientific) IQ/A - IQ-1 13 [1]
Finance IQ/H - IQ-2 12 [1]
First Aid/TL8 (Human) IQ/E - IQ+0 14 [1]
Games (Boxing) IQ/E - IQ+0 14 [1]
Games (Judo) IQ/E - IQ+0 14 [1]
Ghostly Weapon! DX/WC - DX-2 12 [6]
Judo DX/H - DX+0 14 [4]
Jumping DX/E - DX+0 14 [1]
Leadership IQ/A - IQ+0 14 [2]
Market Analysis IQ/H - IQ-2 12 [1]
Mathematics/TL8 (Applied) IQ/H - IQ+4 18 [4]
Mathematics/TL8 (Pure) IQ/H - IQ-1 13 [2]
Merchant IQ/A - IQ-1 13 [1]
Navigation/TL8 (Land) IQ/A - IQ-1 13 [1]
Navigation/TL8 (Sea) IQ/A - IQ-1 13 [1]
Observation Per/A - Per+0 14 [2]
Parry Missile Weapons DX/H - DX+0 14 [4]
Penetrating Strike! DX/WC - DX-2 12 [6]
Physics/TL8 IQ/VH - IQ+4 18 [8]
Public Speaking IQ/A - IQ+0 14 [2]
Research/TL8 IQ/A - IQ+0 14 [2]
Running HT/A - HT+2 16 [8]
conditional: +4 from 'Speed Talent' when using powers.
Search Per/A - Per-1 13 [1]
Speed-Reading IQ/A - IQ+0 14 [2]
Stealth DX/A - DX-1 13 [1]
Streetwise IQ/A - IQ-1 13 [1]
Swimming HT/E - HT+0 14 [1]
Targeted Attack (Boxing Punch/Face) Tech/H - 12 [3]
Teaching IQ/A - IQ-1 13 [1]
Weird Science IQ/VH - IQ+0 14 [8]

Stats [230] Ads [1707] Disads [-65] Quirks [-3] Skills [105] = Total [1979]
Note 1: Jay Garrick has two levels of Enchanced Move!--as a Wildcard power, he can use any ability up to 68 points in value while running, as long as he can justify it. A good yard-stick is the following fill-in-the blank: "He's running so fast that _______________." Common uses include Walk on Liquids (for running on the surface of water, etc...), Flight (Must be in contact with a wall or other surface and Cosmic (Uses Ground Move)) (for running up and down the sides of buildings), Extra Levels of his Innate Attacks (when running), and Illusion (After-Images of The Flash).

Note 2: The alternate abilities to Altered Time Rate represent attacks that require a full second to pull of--the infinite mass punch requires accelerating his fist to relativistic speeds and the whirlwind generation is limited by the the fluid dynamics of the air.

Note 3: The Warp ability represents running at near light speeds. With Altered Time Rate, he can easily circumnavigate the globe in a turn.

More notes coming, I'm sure, but I have to go to work and I wanted to get this up.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Last edited by aesir23; 05-07-2016 at 05:30 AM.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:51 AM   #236
Phantasm

Where was that origin related? The reprint of his Golden Age origin (a reprint of Flash Comics #1, by National Publications [later DC Comics]) that I read had him as a football player (as a running back) in college who ended up running through a "mysterious fog bank" which gave him his speed powers.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:20 AM   #237
chandley

Quote:
Hero: The Flash (I)
Alias: Jay Garrick

Like the rest of the JSA, he vanished in 1959 (at the age of 45) and didn't return until 1998, where he identified himself and took over Garrick Laboratories again. Since then, he's continued to age gracefully and now fights crime in his sixties. He's served as a mentor to many other heroes, both as a scientist and as a super-hero.
For having been an active super-hero for 40+ years (not counting whatever was happening in that missing 39 year gap), his skills seem incredibly low. Seems like key skills like Running and Boxing would have more points in em, given it seems obvious you are trying to keep stats from inflating things too much.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:39 AM   #238
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
Where was that origin related? The reprint of his Golden Age origin (a reprint of Flash Comics #1, by National Publications [later DC Comics]) that I read had him as a football player (as a running back) in college who ended up running through a "mysterious fog bank" which gave him his speed powers.
The origin I read was that he was knocked out by "fumes" when a beaker of "hard water" was spilled. The football thing is news to me. My primary source is the DC database. That origin seemed sufficiently nonsensical to justify changing it a little. I don't know why I pushed it out of college and into his own lab--but I can see that this origin might be too close to Barry Allen's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandley View Post
For having been an active super-hero for 40+ years (not counting whatever was happening in that missing 39 year gap), his skills seem incredibly low. Seems like key skills like Running and Boxing would have more points in em, given it seems obvious you are trying to keep stats from inflating things too much.
The Flash is the type of character who relies more on his powers than his skills. My plan going forward to was that Barry and Wally would have higher advantage levels than Jay, but that he would have the highest level of Speed Talent to reflect his greater experience fighting crime.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to pump up his adventuring skill levels a little as well, however (and maybe to rule that Speed Talent adds to Running).
Old 04-06-2015, 12:53 PM   #239
chandley

Quote:
The Flash is the type of character who relies more on his powers than his skills. My plan going forward to was that Barry and Wally would have higher advantage levels than Jay, but that he would have the highest level of Speed Talent to reflect his greater experience fighting crime.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to pump up his adventuring skill levels a little as well, however (and maybe to rule that Speed Talent adds to Running).
That is fair, but Boxing at 15 is pretty punishing for a 2000 point character. His peers are going to be able to avoid even 5 shots at that skill level with ease. My recommendation, given he is one of the oldest continuously active heroes in your universe, is pump Boxing, Running, Leadership and possibly Judo or Parry Missile Weapons to Stat+5. He is as _skilled_ as Batman in those areas he would use constantly, but his lower stats means he is still more reliant on powers than skills.

Speed Talent adding to Running seems like a good fit regardless though.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:04 PM   #240
Infornific

A few thoughts on Garrick/Flash:

1. Have you considered making everything work off a Wild Card Power and just listing some of the stunts he can perform? That might be more appropriate for a character who can do darn near anything as long as he can work in phrases like "Super speed" and "vibrating molecules."

2. Enhanced DX (with say a -5% or -10% limitation that it doesn't affect ranged attacks) might be better than the various enhanced defenses. Superspeed should make it easier to hit opponents as well as defend against them,

3. Have you considered adding as an alternate superspeed ability ATR with the Superspeed Enhancement and Non-combat limitation? That would allow the Flash to perform non-combat stunts very quickly. Possibly add in Extra Attacks with multi-strike as another alternative ability.
Infornific is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batman, dc comics, phantasm, superman, supers, vonkatzen