Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 02-10-2019, 11:30 AM   #1
wmervine4

Default Hall of Judgement - Sample Character Lisbet's Wrestling Abilities?

For the Hall of Judgement sample character, Lisbet Vinsdottir, Human Wrestler on page 101, I'm having trouble understanding how her Control Maximum (CM) was calculated.

Her CM is listed as 28; however, I'm not seeing how that number was arrived at. CM is described on page 63 as being the total of ST + Lifting ST + Wrestling bonus described on DFRPG Adventurers, pages 92-93. For Lisbet, I would calculate this as 15 (her base ST) + 6 (Lifting ST) + 2 (ST bonus for knowing Wrestling at DX+2 or higher), which only comes out to 23, but her CM is listed as 28, so where is the extra 5 effective Lifting ST coming from?

I was also wondering how she has 3d+5 control on her grappling attack, but the math on this works fine if her effective ST is 28, so if I can figure that part out, this question goes away.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this one?
wmervine4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:27 PM   #2
Dalin

Default Re: Hall of Judgement - Sample Character Lisbet's Wrestling Abilities?

I think this has to do with the Wrestling Master advantage:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramid 3/111, p. 13
Your ST bonus in a grapple, break free, strangle, takedown, or pin isn’t limited to +2 if you know Wrestling at DX+2 (Wrestling, Adventurers, p. 93). It’s +3 at DX+3, +4 at DX+4, and so on, with no upper limit!
Dalin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:36 PM   #3
Harald387

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmervine4 View Post
For the Hall of Judgement sample character, Lisbet Vinsdottir, Human Wrestler on page 101, I'm having trouble understanding how her Control Maximum (CM) was calculated.

Her CM is listed as 28; however, I'm not seeing how that number was arrived at. CM is described on page 63 as being the total of ST + Lifting ST + Wrestling bonus described on DFRPG Adventurers, pages 92-93. For Lisbet, I would calculate this as 15 (her base ST) + 6 (Lifting ST) + 2 (ST bonus for knowing Wrestling at DX+2 or higher), which only comes out to 23, but her CM is listed as 28, so where is the extra 5 effective Lifting ST coming from?

I was also wondering how she has 3d+5 control on her grappling attack, but the math on this works fine if her effective ST is 28, so if I can figure that part out, this question goes away.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this one?
The Wrestling Master advantage (provided in the Wrestler template in Pyramid 3/111) grants a greater ST bonus in grapples: +3 at DX+3, +4 at DX+4, and so on, with no upper limit. With Wrestling at DX+7, Lizbet's ST bonus for wrestling is +7, so 15 (base) +6 (Lifting ST) +7 (ST bonus for Wrestling Master) = 28.

In making the transition to Fantastic Dungeon Grappling, the decision was made to handle that increased ST bonus as an increase to effective ST for all grappling purposes (control maximum, contests, and CP); this keeps it simple (instead of having multiple different ST values for grappling) and lets the wrestler stay 'in the game' numbers-wise beside high-ST Weapon Masters.
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 01:00 PM   #4
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harald387 View Post
The Wrestling Master advantage (provided in the Wrestler template in Pyramid 3/111) grants a greater ST bonus in grapples: +3 at DX+3, +4 at DX+4, and so on, with no upper limit. With Wrestling at DX+7, Lizbet's ST bonus for wrestling is +7, so 15 (base) +6 (Lifting ST) +7 (ST bonus for Wrestling Master) = 28.

In making the transition to Fantastic Dungeon Grappling, the decision was made to handle that increased ST bonus as an increase to effective ST for all grappling purposes (control maximum, contests, and CP); this keeps it simple (instead of having multiple different ST values for grappling) and lets the wrestler stay 'in the game' numbers-wise beside high-ST Weapon Masters.
And for those saying "but my goodness, a Grappling ST of 28, and that many control points . . . that's a one-hit win on many creatures!"

Yes. It is. So is the spectacular damage one gets with a tricked-out knight, which could be cutting or impaling to boot. In testing, while the Wrestler could absolutely rock most things that can be grappled, it's a one-trick pony and out of that grappling element, effectiveness falls off. She's "only" ST 15 when you're dealing with Striking ST and not-grappling, which is good but not spectacular.

Still: an awful lot of fun to throw down that many CP per turn.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 01:07 PM   #5
wmervine4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
I think this has to do with the Wrestling Master advantage:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harald387 View Post
Interesting. This definitely explains it, so thank you both!

It does seem odd to me that Hall of Judgement would utilize an advantage only published in a Pyramid article without referencing that article or reproducing the relevant text (but maybe I missed it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
And for those saying "but my goodness, a Grappling ST of 28, and that many control points . . . that's a one-hit win on many creatures!"

Yes. It is. So is the spectacular damage one gets with a tricked-out knight, which could be cutting or impaling to boot. In testing, while the Wrestler could absolutely rock most things that can be grappled, it's a one-trick pony and out of that grappling element, effectiveness falls off. She's "only" ST 15 when you're dealing with Striking ST and not-grappling, which is good but not spectacular.

Still: an awful lot of fun to throw down that many CP per turn.
It is awful fun. I actually ran Lisbet as an NPC in my last game when one of my players wanted to challenge the best fighter in town, and I happened to have her stat block handy. Little did I realize how much she would own him. I felt kind of bad because he really didn't have a chance, but he was also being super cocky so I didn't feel too bad. :P

Thank you Mr. Cole for making such a fantastic supplement!
wmervine4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:05 PM   #6
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmervine4 View Post
It does seem odd to me that Hall of Judgement would utilize an advantage only published in a Pyramid article without referencing that article or reproducing the relevant text (but maybe I missed it).
I can only reproduce what I have license to reproduce, and Pyramid isn't part of my license. The character can be *played* just fine, using the stats on the page, so we went with it as-is because it supported the "wooo! grappling with Fantastic Dungeon Grappling is fun!" message and because the Dungeon Fantasy RPG is really good for just "grab that sheet and play it."

Quote:
It is awful fun. I actually ran Lisbet as an NPC in my last game when one of my players wanted to challenge the best fighter in town, and I happened to have her stat block handy. Little did I realize how much she would own him. I felt kind of bad because he really didn't have a chance, but he was also being super cocky so I didn't feel too bad. :P

Thank you Mr. Cole for making such a fantastic supplement!
I wound up doing something similar in a Dragon Heresy/D&D5e game where the players rolled into town and challenged the reigning champ to a grappling match, and the 1st-level PCs found out what happens when you go up against a 5th level PC with two attacks.

I'm glad you like it - I should be coming to Kickstarter in a few weeks (1-2) with another supplement set in that setting. I actually posted a layout trial for it on my blog yesterday.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote