Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 02-18-2020, 06:17 PM   #361
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Lost in Dreams (Jane Doe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
She begins to wonder why she has these confidences about reality and why the machine doesn't know these details...
Its curious, isn't it...

Quote:
Olive makes a motion as if to stack the pineapples from the garden atop the cactus. Although there is no sensation of touch here, she assumes that Heera can understand physical movements and how they will represent a desire to relocate the scenery (similar to how a virtual chair was lifted and levied against her)

She imagines this will be somewhat clumsy since she doesn't have tactile sensations, but that the computer can still vaguely understand what she is trying to grip/move and vaguely relocate them.

Stacking the 'apples atop the cactus she tries to build an approximation (like a snowman) of the umbrella-leaf-stalked plants in her dream.
Olive is able to figure out how to modify the plants via "touch". Heera makes a few useful prompts on how to use the controls, and Olive starts sculpting. Its not too hard to make something vaguely like the plants, but when she tries to go beyond the general shape, she finds herself stuck.

Still here she has a pretty good approximation of what she wants.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:25 AM   #362
Plane

Olive is wondering if she could show this image to someone to see if it means anything, but with the current conflict she doesn't know who to trust with it.

"Heera are there any records of plants matching these odd shapes in your database?"
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 03:31 PM   #363
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Heera: "This construction does not correspond to any flora in my data base. It bears a passing resemblance to a few custom creations in virtual worlds in my data base."

Several plants are shown on the Moroccan beach. None of them look like the image from her urge. Or her dream.

She feels the urge again. A desire to describe who and what she is to the weird plant.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 03-22-2020, 09:18 PM   #364
Plane

Since nobody is watching (presumably) and she is feeling lost/bored she indulges this impulse and begins talking to the plant as she works at replicating what she saw in the dream about it.

"Mister plant" (or is it female?) how did I imagine your stalks looked....?"
Old 03-25-2020, 11:10 AM   #365
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

She's talking to the plant and trying to visualize her dream when a strangely foreign thought comes to her mind:

"I/The one speaking/that plant am that one/plant/person"

The thought indicates a plant a bit behind the one she was focusing on. A weird visual map starts forming in her thoughts

"Why is reproduction/Gender/Genitals/Animals important to your thoughts/Language/Names?"

"Never mind/Not Important/Disregard. My Colony/Family/Tribe/Me are looking at/controlling/Searching/Smelling this Place/Grove/Ship. We/Me/My Colony have been trying to think/speak/touch/control/negotiate with you"

Old 04-07-2020, 06:28 PM   #366
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
A weird visual map starts forming in her thoughts
If this corresponds to the environment in I'd like to follow the map to see if it goes to anywhere interesting on it.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:35 AM   #367
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
If this corresponds to the environment in I'd like to follow the map to see if it goes to anywhere interesting on it.

There really isn't a correspondence between the moroccoan beach and the map you've been given, as in the terrain doesn't match at all, but she can certainly go and stand next to the plant indicated. Or try to look at other places in the mental map, though the farther from the two plants in gets the "fuzzier" her mental memory gets.

Old 04-21-2020, 05:22 PM   #368
Plane

Olive is getting too confused to think about the plants so she'll back off and practice some escape drills to clear her head.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:40 AM   #369
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Will she risk setting the alarms off, or just go through the motions on practice equipment she's been able to requisition?

Old 05-10-2020, 04:05 PM   #370
Plane

Just practise equipment for now, wouldn't want to tamper with actual safeguards until having gained confidence in the ability not to trigger them.