Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-29-2016, 10:38 PM   #1
Henchman99942

Default Underbarrel Only Carbine

If someone were to make a weapon using Ultratech that was comprised of multiple underbarrel grenade launchers that were built into a single weapon, rather than actually being attached to an existing longarm, how would you stat that weapon (Weight, Cost)

I used a carbine shaped Heavy Laser Flashlight as the base weapon and attached several UGLs using accessory rails. It made some logical sense.

However, a creative armory officer should be able to combine 4 UGLs or similar into a single weapon forgoing the need for a primary weapon to attach them to. It would still need a basic carbine-like shape with trigger and aiming sight. But it should cost and weigh less than the cheapest/lightest existing carbine platform.

I am thinking of going with a plastic shell shaped like a slender carbine that would be half the cost, but all the weight of 4 accessory rails that could include smartgun electronics and house 2 C cells (wt: 0.8 or 1.8 lbs).

I was mostly curious if anyone had done something similar.
Henchman99942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:40 AM   #2
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Underbarrel Only Carbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman99942 View Post
However, a creative armory officer should be able to combine 4 UGLs or similar into a single weapon forgoing the need for a primary weapon to attach them to. It would still need a basic carbine-like shape with trigger and aiming sight. But it should cost and weigh less than the cheapest/lightest existing carbine platform.

I am thinking of going with a plastic shell shaped like a slender carbine that would be half the cost, but all the weight of 4 accessory rails that could include smartgun electronics and house 2 C cells (wt: 0.8 or 1.8 lbs).

I was mostly curious if anyone had done something similar.
Sounds like some mutant breach or bore loading grenade shotgun... I'm intrigued.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:08 PM   #3
Dustin

As a sanity check, you might compare your result to what you would get if you attached only 3 UGLs to a TL10 Electromag Grenade Launcher (EMGL), or to an appropriate modern GL from High-Tech like the M79 or HK69A1.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:09 PM   #4
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman99942 View Post
I used a carbine shaped Heavy Laser Flashlight as the base weapon and attached several UGLs using accessory rails. .
You could have used the Dazzler Carbine from UT p.113 and had a superior weapon.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:03 PM   #5
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

So, you don't want something like the Milkor MGL, but something that is a few single shot weapons fastened together and in order to reload it it would require each barrel to be loaded separately?

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:57 PM   #6
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Sounds like the Splat Gun in Ultra-Tech.
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:26 AM   #7
clu2415

Quote:
Originally Posted by safisher View Post
Sounds like the Splat Gun in Ultra-Tech.
The splat gun is so poorly thought out. It's somewhere between a .50 caliber and 12 gauge HE, but lobbed at low velocity. UT only increases explosive damage by caliber, not projectile mass, so every 15mm ammunition carries the same amount of explosives.

As for the OP's question, I would add the weight of three or four UBGL and add a pound for the stock and fire control. Reloading all the tubes would take forever, but you'll have a scaled down mortar box.
clu2415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 03:42 AM   #8
Tallor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clu2415 View Post
The splat gun is so poorly thought out.
My issue was that it fires THIRTY PROJECTILES in a single turn but uses an electronic firing system that minimizes recoil. You end up with a weapon that's over twenty pounds, sprays an entire area at (4+5) to-hit with Recoil 1, 2d cr ex mini-bombs. It's enough to utterly destroy a "lightly armored vehicle" such as a jeep, but at 12 maximum damage, it wouldn't penetrate the armor of the TL9 Wheeled ATV.

In essence it's a weird gun that I assume has one purpose: Spraying "Prism Smoke" over a 30-yard semicircle to make laser battles end abruptly.
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:09 AM   #9
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallor View Post
. It's enough to utterly destroy a "lightly armored vehicle" such as a jeep, but at 12 maximum damage, it wouldn't penetrate the armor of the TL9 Wheeled ATV.
A jeep would normally be considered an entirely unarmored vehicle. Gurps treats sheet metal fenders as "armor" in stat blocks but armies do not on the battlefield. Especially because even this limited armor doesn't protect the users on an actual Jeep.

The Splat Gun is another legacy issue. The first version in the 3e version of UT was 40mm and more effective.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:59 AM   #10
Kalzazz

Take 40mm mortar box, assume it has a stock and trigger and foregrip instead of legs and baseplate and call it good is my approach
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accessory rail, carbine, ultratech, underbarrel