Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 12-07-2014, 12:55 PM   #221
Pomphis

Default Re: Flat Black

Will you post a picture ?
Pomphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 02:31 PM   #222
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomphis View Post
Will you post a picture ?
No, for a handful of reasons of which the most cogent is that I didn't take one. The moustache, 11mm long, came off a five to six in the morning on the First of December.

It was not a lovely moustache.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:44 PM   #223
Agemegos

Owing to the generous support of the munificent Roger_BW, there is now a discussion category for FLAT BLACK on the Discourse server at tekeli.li. This avoids the use of the egregious FaceBook.

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 05-11-2019, 04:36 PM   #224
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
Owing to the generous support of the munificent Roger_BW, there is now a discussion category for FLAT BLACK on the Discourse server at tekeli.li. This avoids the use of the egregious FaceBook.
I have written a new players' introduction to Flat Black, which is better focussed on the current state of the colonies and less distracted by a ream of history and minutiae of the Imperial administration. It's 9,500 words, and only drags in spots. I couldn't say why you might want it, but if you do it's available for download from the old Flat Black wiki in PDF and EPUB formats.

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:50 PM   #225
Pomphis

Thank you, though I love history and minutiae.
Old 12-28-2019, 04:39 PM   #226
Agemegos

Early in the new year I will start work on a book of weapons, armour, vehicles, kit, and equipment for FLAT BLACK. I'm basing the technology on FLAT BLACK's native SF RPG, ForeSight, and I use modified ForeSight mechanics in my games, so this will not be a GURPS product. But I will be thoroughly revising ForeSight's tech assumptions, which are based on 1970s SF, and may be pillaging GURPS Ultra-Tech, GURPS Bio-Tech, GURPS Spaceships, ForeScene, Traveller, Universe etc.

https://discussion.tekeli.li/t/an-eq...flat-black/518

Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 12-28-2019 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:34 PM   #227
Agemegos

Quote:
I have written a new players' introduction to Flat Black, which is better focussed on the current state of the colonies and less distracted by a ream of history and minutiae of the Imperial administration. It's 9,500 words, and only drags in spots. I couldn't say why you might want it, but if you do it's available for download from the old Flat Black wiki in PDF and EPUB formats.
Has anyone read that who has any comment to make?

The text is about 9,650 words. That is a little longer than my target, which was 8,500 words (about what would lay out as ten pages in a GURPS book), but the target was arbitrary, and I don't wish to cut anything. And on the other hand when I lay it out for easy reading by middle-aged eyes the PDF comes to 15 pages of A4, and it would require no more paper to print out double-sided if I added about 800 words.

So is there anything substantial missing? A glossary, perhaps?

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 12-29-2019, 03:06 PM   #228
Pomphis

Quote:
Has anyone read that who has any comment to make?
IMO it could be longer. Happily I still have some of your older stuff, especially WRT history.

What I wonder about is how cheap space travel is. AFAICT this requires really cheap spaceships. Which in turn means that the empire could afford huge robot fleets. And how cheap can spaceships get compared to other stuff? They must be airtight, have full life support, need engines far more powerful than any truck or seaship, need electronics more powerful than any airliner. If I design spaceships with VE2, they get seriously expensive even without FTL drives.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:20 PM   #229
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomphis View Post
IMO it could be longer. Happily I still have some of your older stuff, especially WRT history.
I intend to produce a more thorough manual or guide to the setting, perhaps in parts. That's only supposed to be the introduction that you read as minimum to participate in a campaign.

Quote:
What I wonder about is how cheap space travel is. AFAICT this requires really cheap spaceships. Which in turn means that the empire could afford huge robot fleets. And how cheap can spaceships get compared to other stuff? They must be airtight, have full life support, need engines far more powerful than any truck or seaship, need electronics more powerful than any airliner. If I design spaceships with VE2, they get seriously expensive even without FTL drives.
I did some costing studies using GURPS Spaceships 4th and making what seem reasonable assumptions about duty cycle, amortisation, and maintenance. I reckon that on a thick route where you can keep a large ship reasonably full on a regular schedule the cost is about

Freight rate, per ton:
  • G$ 4.39 + G$ 3.64 per light-year in a large carrier
  • G$ 5.14 + G$ 4.92 per light-year in a SM+9 feeder

Fare, per compartment, no service
  • G$ 43.43 + G$ 48.53 per light-year in a large carrier
  • G$ 45.00 + G$ 54.05 per light-year in a SM+9 feeder

That's the economic cost of shipping, without any taxes or port fees, and without any monopoly profits to the line operators. And that's with Flat Black type ship operations: things would be cheaper if you could FTL from and into orbit, but might be costlier with Traveller-sized jump zones.

Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 12-30-2019 at 07:19 AM.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:49 AM   #230
Pomphis

Quote:
And that's with Flat Black type ship operations: things would be cheaper if you could FTL from and into orbit, but might be costlier with Traveller-sized jump zones.
Thanks. Though the main difference may be the small size of the eichberger drives, you have 95% for everything else.

Tags
flat black, planetary romance, sci-fi