Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-31-2020, 02:19 PM   #21
hcobb

Default Re: Picking up a dropped weapon while engaged - when do you stand up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
One other tactic I have seen is when there is a higher-MA figure and thrown weapons figure in, so there are throwable weapons on the field, and the higher-MA figure runs over and scoops up a weapon off the ground and then uses the rest of their movement to get far enough away to avoid attacks, then next turn throws the weapon.
Run behind the target to scoop the dagger up from under their feet. Can you do the same thing with an arrow embedded in their gut?
Old 05-31-2020, 03:23 PM   #22
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Run behind the target to scoop the dagger up from under their feet. Can you do the same thing with an arrow embedded in their gut?
As already emphasized above, you can't scoop weapons from other than the hex you are in.

As for removing arrows, ask your GM for a ruling.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 03:30 PM   #23
hcobb

Quote:
As already emphasized above, you can't scoop weapons from other than the hex you are in.
From behind them you're using the disengaged option.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:42 PM   #24
Skarg

Oh I see, so you're using the word "scoop" but referring not to the rule about scooping up weapons during movement? Instead, you're talking about the disengaged option to use your action to pick up a weapon after moving 2 hexes?
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:03 PM   #25
hcobb

So apparently all that is needed is a shift to a side hex and then you can pick the weapon up from under their feet with no problem?
Old 06-01-2020, 10:25 PM   #26
ColinK

Okay, this scooping or picking up weapon discussion looks like fun, especially grabbing an opponent's fallen weapon. I don't think I've ever seen that, and I used to play with some doggone sneaky players. Thanks for the idea!

In exchange, I'll share another that maybe stretches the boundaries of this discussion a bit. Patiently wait through all the engaged higher DX players' attacks, to try picking up a fallen or thrown weapon, then instead of picking it up, punch one of them.

Hilarious if you happen to pick the character who is low on ST from other wounds.

Twice as funny if it's that idiot magic user who never should have been in the close combat in the first place!
ColinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:29 AM   #27
Steve Plambeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
So apparently all that is needed is a shift to a side hex and then you can pick the weapon up from under their feet with no problem?
(Shhhh -- don't tell everyone! :)

But yes, I'd say so. The rules nowhere say the hex you retrieve the dropped weapon from has to be unoccupied, it just has to be adjacent.

But remember, you cannot shift if using (q) PICK UP DROPPED WEAPON. If you start in a rear or side hex, you don't need the shift anyway, because then as a disengaged figure you'll be using (c) READY NEW WEAPON for the same effect.

The problem comes if you start in a front hex. Sure you can shift to a side, because that's legal movement while engaged, but then you can't use (q) because it clearly says "Bend over (not moving)". You may want to use (c) instead after you "shift" in that case, but a GM may or may not allow it depending on how they see the intent. The word "move", which appears in (c) is never used anyplace else as interchangeable with the word "shift". As "shift" is always and everywhere it appears a component of an engaged option, and "move" even when it is only 1 hex is in every other case only a component of a disengaged option, you technically can't "move" from a front hex to a side hex, only "shift".

So you never used "move", you used "shift". But you can't "move" using option (c) because you started out engaged, while at the same time you cannot "shift" and pick option (q) because it says so. And you can't start with (q) and switch to (c) because (q) never gave you the chance to "shift" from the front to side hex. Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but (devil's advocate speaking) you can't change options after the movement turn if the movement you executed would be illegal under the option you are changing to. In that sense, it's illegal to change after movement from option (c) to option (q), because (q) doesn't allow you to have used "move" or "shift"!

If you want to use (q) you still can, but only by staying in the front hex. But I agree that if you do that, a weapon in that enemy's own hex may be the one you pick up. It's just a shame you can't get from there to a side hex first and still do it, without the risk of getting clobbered for doing so.

I must admit, that made me a little dizzy too.

Last edited by Steve Plambeck; 06-02-2020 at 12:37 AM.
Steve Plambeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:55 AM   #28
Steve Plambeck

Quote:
* As Henry mentioned, scooping doesn't take an action, which you might be able to do something with.
But that doesn't add up.

If you scoop up the weapon on turn 1, it can't logically be "ready" at the start of turn 2 ("ready next turn") unless you spent your action for turn 1 readying it. You therefore shouldn't get another action during turn 1 after making the scoop.

If you take another action in turn 1 after the scoop, then you should have to spend turn 2 on READY WEAPON.

The "scoop" on turn 1 may have been free, but the act of readying it too has to cost the rest of the turn.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:10 AM   #29
Axly Suregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plambeck View Post
The "scoop" on turn 1 may have been free, but the act of readying it too has to cost the rest of the turn.
I am with you on this.

Either you get the action or not. If you get it, then you are allowing someone to pick up a weapon on the move and attack with it in the same turn. By contrast, you could not draw a weapon and attack with it in the same turn. [For the comparison, we are not including Quick Draw since it only applies to one of the two sides of the comparison]. Drawing a weapon should be easier than retrieving one on the run. Therefore, this only makes sense if the scooper that gains the weapon during movement phase also spends his action phase readying the weapon.

He/she will be able to use the weapon and/or take any actions the next turn.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:32 PM   #30
hcobb

Thankfully the only case of free action attacks in the game is from an undroppable weapon. (Other than HTH)