Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 09-12-2019, 11:28 AM   #21
larsdangly

Default Re: At last, my personal equipment house rules

The rapier is clearly under stated (too low in ST and damage) for historical versimilitude. It is a decent stand-in for a small sword, but really should be something more like ST 11, 2d-1. In my house rule equipment list, this spot is occupied by the 'side sword'. That isn't a horrible solution, given that one principle of the project is to accept all official weapon stats 'as is'.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:26 PM   #22
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
The rapier is clearly under stated (too low in ST and damage) for historical versimilitude. It is a decent stand-in for a small sword, but really should be something more like ST 11, 2d-1. In my house rule equipment list, this spot is occupied by the 'side sword'. That isn't a horrible solution, given that one principle of the project is to accept all official weapon stats 'as is'.
You're probably right, but historic realism is a secondary consideration for me. I'm going for the more cinematic fantasy rapier of Soul Caliber, Zorro and the Three Musketeers... light and agile, but strong and deadly. Plus, as I said, I want more options for lower ST characters.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:19 PM   #23
larsdangly

Another notion that informed the project was to provide more options for all ST levels, consistent with the basic 'trade space' of the game. E.g., enough new pole weapons, swords and fencing weapons that you could pick some optimal armament regardless of your ST score.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:27 PM   #24
Hobgoblin

Yes - some historical rapiers were as heavy (or heavier) than some longswords, and so would logically require greater strength to use (as one-handed rather than two-handed).

On the claymore, I take the point that the (two-handed) claymore is on a continuum with longswords. There's just something about the idea of someone using one of those shown in the Glaswegian links I posted along with a shield that seems ... off.

I suppose there's also the point that longswords were chiefly used two-handed anyway, judging by the contemporary fencing manuals; I wonder if the "hand-and-a-half" hilt doesn't owe more to factors (balance, feel/alignment/ease of shifting the hand to the pommel for a thrust?) other than switching between one- and two-handed grips.

But, anyway, the game's the thing!
Hobgoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 01:21 PM   #25
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Another notion that informed the project was to provide more options for all ST levels, consistent with the basic 'trade space' of the game. E.g., enough new pole weapons, swords and fencing weapons that you could pick some optimal armament regardless of your ST score.
Way to do that is to just use an alternate name for the ST specific weapon. It's a Katana!
Old 09-13-2019, 04:51 PM   #26
larsdangly

The point is that there were no weapons of certain categories and ST ratings. E.g., there was no ST 15 sword, and a couple of empty ST 'slots' in the pole arms.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:11 PM   #27
hcobb

Mongol bow would be a horse bow of course. Use these stats (or higher) for a proper English warbow of min ST 13 to 15.

Armor needs to be doubled against swords, missile and thrown weapons. Fine plate will bounce an ordinary hit by a warbow or thousand pound draw weight heavy crossbow. (Roll triple damage to show when you've hit them in the face or otherwise avoided the armor.) Non-cutting weapons such as clubs would be half-damage after armor.

Last edited by hcobb; 09-15-2019 at 09:55 AM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:39 PM   #28
larsdangly

Those armor changes would be very justified in a game that aimed at more realism. But that's a pretty different game - the end result would be incompatible with people playing standard TFT, whereas I think the things in my supplement can be freely sprinkled about without disturbing the ecology of the RAW.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:46 PM   #29
TippetsTX

I'd also like to see more bow options, personally.

BTW, anyone know the history on why bows get hosed on damage in TFT?
Old 09-15-2019, 08:06 PM   #30
hcobb

English Longbow: 160 joules

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_longbow

Chinese crossbow: 166 joules

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...ese-ones/page6