Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-21-2019, 01:17 PM   #11
Eukie

Default Re: [Spaceships] What are the mechanical consequences of not meeting crew quotas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
You do mean that you haven't found anything _beyond_ having to conduct battle and other defined operations with Multitasking penalties or simply leaving some tasks undone don't you?
As Varyon pointed out, I was primarily concerned with lacking the full complement of workspace technicians, not with lacking crew for primary piloting, sensor/communications, engineering, and gunnery tasks.
Eukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:50 PM   #12
Kale

Default Re: [Spaceships] What are the mechanical consequences of not meeting crew quotas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eukie View Post
As Varyon pointed out, I was primarily concerned with lacking the full complement of workspace technicians, not with lacking crew for primary piloting, sensor/communications, engineering, and gunnery tasks.
I think part of it will be how maintenance-intensive tech is in your setting. Under routine operation the ship could probably go a while under staffed, but in action the ship would definitely suffer. You'd have to decide how much a given system has to be 'pampered' by crew during operation, but a number like -1 per 10% understaffing seems not unreasonable.

Also consider after any stressful situation where the ship is run at max (i.e. combat, landing in a gravity well, atmospheric re-entry, etc) there will probably need to be maintenance or at least detailed systems checks to make sure everything is u to snuff. This will require more crew hours and overworked crew might make mistakes...

Tags
spaceships