Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #21
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: [RPM] a collection of questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Perhaps we could plunder the Conditional Termination concept from Thaumatology. The duration costs in Thaum (pg 243) are a lot lighter than those in RPM, so the Conditional costs would likewise be increased. Cursing someone to turn into a statue "Until the castle rises above the clouds" would be a seemingly-impossible condition, equivalent to a duration of a century or so. In Thaum that's 16 energy, while in RPM that would be 121 (magnified by the Greater effects that are likely involved). Enchanting a ring with magical properties "Until cast into the fires from whence it was forged" is not quite as impossible, though still could be an indefinite duration.

The result of this is that "permanent" enchantments are possible, but gruelingly expensive and always have a defined condition that can break the enchantment. I think that's nicely flavorful and fits many artifacts of legend.
This is another way, and one in which I've used before. I also hate to do this, but my Metatronic Generators article is a backdoor RPM enchantment system. Just make sure you make the device self-powered. I had RPM firmly in mind when I created it. It doesn't need to all be magi-tech - you could use it to create a ring or even a staff. :-)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #22
PK

Quote:
Precisely. I guess this can be handled pretty well by the limited Adept option: they can design new spells when they're at their home base, in a sanctified ritual space and with plenty of time. Trying to do so in the field runs into the usual non-Adept penalties.
Right, you'd want a unique limitation ("Mastered Spells Only", maybe?) on Ritual Adept that meant you were only an adept for spells you had a grimoire or Ritual Mastery for. That's a huge limitation, IMO. I'd probably call it -50%.

So if you had Ritual Adept (Mastered Spells Only, -50%) [20], you'd cast a small list of known spells in mere seconds -- but any new/improvised spells would take minutes, and would continue to do so until you either created/purchased a grimoire or invested a point into Ritual Mastery.

Alternatively, since your goal is really to avoid situations where the player takes 20 minutes to figure out what spell he's going to cast, you could soften this restriction so that the caster got his adept benefits for any spell which he (and thus his character) had previously worked out ahead of time. That would include spells cast directly from Chapter 4 of RPM or any spell he'd cast previously and kept a record of. This would be a much weaker limitation, of course -- call it "Listed Spells Only" for -20%. (Still a generous point break, because the biggest advantage Ritual Adept gives you is flexible, fast casting!)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #23
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Switch out entirely the point cost for a dollar cost, possibly based on the points-for-money equivalence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
This is another way, and one in which I've used before. I also hate to do this, but my Metatronic Generators article is a backdoor RPM enchantment system. Just make sure you make the device self-powered. I had RPM firmly in mind when I created it. It doesn't need to all be magi-tech - you could use it to create a ring or even a staff. :-)
In essence's Ghostdancer's article is a system of rules for converting points to money.

Obviously, I stand behind the enchantment rules. They're what I use in my games and I think they best fit the feel of RPM: Because spells are impermanent, true enchanted items require a serious personal investment.

That said, I'm certainly not going to object to anyone else coming up with alternative enchantment systems. I'm just happy to see others wanting to play in the sandbox I built. :)

Old 10-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #24
PK

Quote:
Perhaps we could plunder the Conditional Termination concept from Thaumatology. The duration costs in Thaum (pg 243) are a lot lighter than those in RPM, so the Conditional costs would likewise be increased.
Actually, you don't have to "plunder" that concept, as it's already in RPM. See Conditional Termination on p. 18.

As an interesting alternative, the GM could always allow the extended duration rules (from the same page) to apply in his campaign, but only when bound to items. Then you could just rule that (say) once you hit a duration of 1,000 years, adding an extra Greater Create Magic effect means the item is effectively permanent. I haven't playtested that, so if you try it, please let me know how it works out for you.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #25
JP42

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
I'm just happy to see others wanting to play in the sandbox I built. :)
Followup question: how does it feel to have designed a GURPS subsystem that has been so well received, and is beloved by so many of us?
JP42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #26
Lamech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP42 View Post
How can this be modified, or does it need to be, to better suit a Dungeon Fantasy style of game where magic items are not rare and wondrous, but common and expected?
The people who make these items are powerful, and the items are extremely valuable. A twenty point item gives you comfortable "wealth" and a 10% independent income. And that's before the discount. So in a modern campaign a ten point staff is the equivalent of a income source that produces 4K a month, or 48K a year.

How much would it cost to get someone to make that for you? Because that staff is worth several million easy.

Or a staff of unaging. You'll want to include the perk that allows reverse aging of course, but its still only tenish points. Enchanted items are absurdly powerful. Base money isn't worth it. Amazing services, similar items of power etc.

Now how do characters pick up items? You allow people to pick up enchanted items if they "earn" it. Like people could otherwise pick up rewards in play. Auto attunement.
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #27
vierasmarius

Alternately, common enchanted items are lasting rather than permanent. That +1 Sword of Poking? It needs to be serviced by an enchanter every few years or the magic will fade. The Necklace of Missiles is just a set of Charms on a string. Etc. If the PCs find a magic item still functioning after being forgotten in a treasure pile for a hundred years, they know it's something *special*.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #28
Lamech

That's another good way to do it. Enchanted item are actually long term spells. A sword enchanted to do +3 damage due to a lesser strengthen matter or whatever. These ones someone might actually consider selling too.
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #29
JP42

Quote:
Alternately, common enchanted items are lasting rather than permanent. That +1 Sword of Poking? It needs to be serviced by an enchanter every few years or the magic will fade. The Necklace of Missiles is just a set of Charms on a string. Etc. If the PCs find a magic item still functioning after being forgotten in a treasure pile for a hundred years, they know it's something *special*.
And you do hit upon an important point - if it's "just a charm on a string", isn't that enchanter out a charm until you use it - or worse, he makes another and yours is suddenly made worthless?

Understand, I'm just thought experimenting here. I'm actually really fine with a game where there's a subtle thread of magic that runs from the universe, through the caster, into any items he imbues with magic.
JP42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #30
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP42 View Post
And you do hit upon an important point - if it's "just a charm on a string", isn't that enchanter out a charm until you use it - or worse, he makes another and yours is suddenly made worthless?

Understand, I'm just thought experimenting here. I'm actually really fine with a game where there's a subtle thread of magic that runs from the universe, through the caster, into any items he imbues with magic.
That is covered in RPM The Manual.
An Enchanter would be a good candidate for using some of the Alchemy variants or just buying up his allotment with a leveled perk.
The long durations is how I lean at the moment for most things thogh.
Its easier to recharge by extending the duration and builds a cottage industry of enchantment without filling the world up with perm magic items.
I am thinking use the optional duration modifiers in combination with Symbol Casting or just let those types of items be rechrged even if they expire.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, monster hunters, ritual path magic, rpm