Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-08-2016, 02:29 PM   #1
jcsp

Default JCSP character management tool

I've written a web-browser-based GURPS character sheet program. I have actually been working on this thing for years, on and off, but it's fairly complete at this point. I'd like some feedback. Take a look: www.cox-thurmond.net/jim/jcsp/.

This thing is meant to compete with GURPS Character Assistant and similar programs, except it's easier to use (I hope) and much more portable because it's also just a web page. That being said, it encompasses all the (3rd and 4th edition) rules found in the Basic Sets, and can be customized. You can create, save, etc. in most browsers now. It's "read-only" on mobile devices, unless you can save (you can't on Apple devices), or get to saved files there. You can download a set of files to use the package on your own computer, if you like.

Please let me know what you think - thanks!

Jim
jcsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:30 PM   #2
JMD

Default Re: JCSP character management tool

I took a look at this and it seems pretty nice. Is it still in development? Any plans to further enhance it? If anyone finds bugs, where should be report them?

Thanks for making this. More options for GURPS is always a good thing!

Edit: You may consider saving the character on your own server if you have a db. Webpages lose a lot of their portability when you have to track and move around your own save file.

If you just took the full character object and serialized (or ajax.stringified) it I bet you could fit the whole thing in one blob/navarchar(max) field. Of course then you'd need a log in for users to reload the character.
JMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:12 PM   #3
jcsp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
I took a look at this and it seems pretty nice. Is it still in development? Any plans to further enhance it? If anyone finds bugs, where should be report them?
Still under development, for sure. Currently developing the machinery for importing supplemental rules libraries, for instance. I'm the sole developer, so reporting bugs to me here will work fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
Edit: You may consider saving the character on your own server if you have a db. Webpages lose a lot of their portability when you have to track and move around your own save file.
I'll consider this. I use things like DropBox routinely myself so that my files follow me around, but even that doesn't work with my tool on a mobile device. Saving to a DB on my site would solve this problem; it's just a chunk of work to set up.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:43 PM   #4
brianfb

Great tool. Here are a few issues I found.

I tried to take the bow skill, and it only allowed me to select 1, 2, or 4 points. I had to manually adjust it to higher points after adding, there is a workaround, so minor.

I dont see Illiteracy in the disadvantage list

I wanted to take Nightmares with a higher activation, but it would not allow me to select a multiplier

Pacificm would not allow me to select the Modifier of Cannot Harm Innocents
Old 03-09-2016, 04:49 PM   #5
jcsp

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianfb View Post
I tried to take the bow skill, and it only allowed me to select 1, 2, or 4 points. I had to manually adjust it to higher points after adding, there is a workaround, so minor.
My thinking was that a long menu for points would be cumbersome, and most people would be creating beginning characters, so having only a few choices made sense. As characters develop, changing points on the sheet makes more sense. Would you prefer a longer menu of point options when taking a new skill?

Quote:
I dont see Illiteracy in the disadvantage list
Do you know if you were creating a character using the 3e rules or the 4e rules? Under 4e, Il/literacy is handled when choosing languages, not as a standard disad. Under 3e, both LIteracy and Illiteracy are listed.

Keep in mind that you may have a 3e character even though you are using a 4e sheet, or vice-versa. You can change the ruleset a character uses under Edit -> Edit Game Info.

Quote:
I wanted to take Nightmares with a higher activation, but it would not allow me to select a multiplier

Pacificm would not allow me to select the Modifier of Cannot Harm Innocents
Any Ad or Disad can be taken with any Multiplier or Enhancement/Limitation; click on the little "+" next to "Multipliers:" or "Enhancements/Limitations:" to add a custom one. I didn't want to include every possible modifier for all Ads and Disads; it looked confusing, I thought. Suggestions are welcome: more instructions? etc?
Old 03-09-2016, 05:02 PM   #6
brianfb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsp View Post
My thinking was that a long menu for points would be cumbersome, and most people would be creating beginning characters, so having only a few choices made sense. As characters develop, changing points on the sheet makes more sense. Would you prefer a longer menu of point options when taking a new skill?

Do you know if you were creating a character using the 3e rules or the 4e rules? Under 4e, Il/literacy is handled when choosing languages, not as a standard disad. Under 3e, both LIteracy and Illiteracy are listed.

Keep in mind that you may have a 3e character even though you are using a 4e sheet, or vice-versa. You can change the ruleset a character uses under Edit -> Edit Game Info.

Any Ad or Disad can be taken with any Multiplier or Enhancement/Limitation; click on the little "+" next to "Multipliers:" or "Enhancements/Limitations:" to add a custom one. I didn't want to include every possible modifier for all Ads and Disads; it looked confusing, I thought. Suggestions are welcome: more instructions? etc?
Ok, ill try again on the nightmares and pacifism. It opened a windiw with a multipliers check box and a set of radio buttons to choose the subitem, but none of them were selectable.

EDIT: Tried and tried, I could not figure out how to select those radio buttons. Tried on my windows 10 PC, and my windows 8.1 phone. Its either broke, or I'm dense. Likely the latter.

Last edited by brianfb; 03-09-2016 at 05:36 PM.
brianfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:58 PM   #7
jcsp

Quote:
EDIT: Tried and tried, I could not figure out how to select those radio buttons. Tried on my windows 10 PC, and my windows 8.1 phone. Its either broke, or I'm dense. Likely the latter.
Rats - looks like I may need to work on my interface if it's that hard to figure out. Or maybe I need a quick-start set of instructions.

Thanks a lot for your feedback!
Old 03-09-2016, 06:08 PM   #8
jcsp

Oh, hey, brianfb - were you trying to attach Self Control modifiers (is that the "higher activation")? OK; I've tested it in several browsers and they all worked for me, BUT . . .

I actually don't have, and have no access to, a Windows computer. I have had a heck of a time testing my tool there. Which browser are you using, if you don't mind my asking?
Old 03-09-2016, 06:14 PM   #9
brianfb

Edge.

When I get the kids to bed ill see if I can make a short video and you can see what I'm doing and decide for yourself if its windows, or if I'm just a doorknob :)

EDIT: The screen recording tool doesn't work on the browser, and it doesn't capture the mousepointer, so no go.

But its very simple, I open a new character sheet by clicking on gurps 4th edition, my layout.

click on build ads/disads

I choose pacifism from the drop down

Then under the word modifiers I see all of the options, there is a checkmark box that is checked, and bunch of radio buttons, the one that is highlighted is "Reluctant Killer"

I am unable to interact with either the checkmark box or the radio buttons. There is a +right above this with the word "modifiers" by it, but when clicked it simply adds a blank line under the options with a checkbox below it. I really dont know what that is for, maybe for custom limitiations?

Last edited by brianfb; 03-09-2016 at 07:29 PM.
brianfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:53 PM   #10
jcsp

First of all, let me say THANKS for not just giving up in frustration; I really appreciate that.

I know exactly what you are talking about now, although I cannot reproduce the problem you are having. It seems likely that this is a bit of Edge weirdness, and until I have access to Edge, I probably can't fix it.

That being said...

Quote:
There is a +right above this with the word "modifiers" by it, but when clicked it simply adds a blank line under the options with a checkbox below it. I really dont know what that is for, maybe for custom limitiations?
Yep, it's for custom modifiers. In your case though, if you put the modifier you want there, I bet you'd get both Reluctant Killer AND the custom one.

As a temporary workaround for the radio button problem, you could take Pacifism with the level you are given, and then edit it after it is on your sheet. To edit an Ad or Disad, you just click on it. A dialog box will open with Remove / Insert / Edit options (uh oh, more radio buttons - hopefully Edge will let you choose Edit). Once there, you can edit the text and the value of the Reluctant Killer modifier.