Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-10-2014, 06:23 PM   #11
pfharlock

Default Re: [Ritual Path Magic] Energy Collecting

I'm about to start a dresden campaign where evocation (think speed casting) should factor in pretty heavily.

I plan on using several mechanics to allow the players to achieve this, allowing them to use thaumatology skill rather than path of magic skill to refill their energy reserve, (so the idea is that you use your energy reserve for speed casting and filling it back up can be relatively quick if you are a mage that specializes in combat). Allowing both ritual mastery perks and Higher purpose to gain their benefits, and finally allowing enchanted items that buff casting skill and can thus be used to gather energy more quickly in a pinch.

And also letting them make liberal use of charms and conditional spells which can also be used instantly as well.
pfharlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:17 PM   #12
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: [Ritual Path Magic] Energy Collecting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Archon View Post
While I read it, it striked me that basically the most impeding thing to cast things in combat is that you have to gather energy for every spell for 5 seconds. Anybody tried to play it with collecting the energy per turn: Concentrate, roll aganist Path and collect energy equal to MoS? It's interesting that effect it would have on gameplay.
It makes it too powerful - if you're going to reduce the times add Gathering Mastery, Speed-Casting, or the like to reduce it. Of course, it's your campaign so if you want to do it that way - have at! Tell us how it worked for you. Having done this previously in the past I could tell you that it made RPM in my games nearly unusable.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ritual path magic, rpm