Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-17-2017, 09:10 AM   #31
Donny Brook

Default Re: GURPS 4th edition shotgun

Want some shot-gunnin' fun?
Load up a double barrel 10 gauge with buck-and-ball and add an underbarrel 12 gauge for special purpose ammo.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:13 PM   #32
fredtheobviouspseudonym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Want some shot-gunnin' fun?
Load up a double barrel 10 gauge with buck-and-ball and add an underbarrel 12 gauge for special purpose ammo.
Why stop there?

Make the underbarrel 10 gauge too -- you may have to make up your own special ammunition but at least you don't have to carry two non-interchangeable types of ammunition.
fredtheobviouspseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:57 PM   #33
benz72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
A lot of this is down to the hard threshold between 4 yards (4d+4 pi++*) and 5+ yards with multiple hits with 1d+1
What is your opinion of the 1/2D rule for all ranged weapons?
Old 07-17-2017, 11:48 PM   #34
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz72 View Post
It's a gameable abstraction, but one which you don't run into as hard as the point blank one with shotguns.

1). It involves less rules changeover (it's just half damage)

2). for a lot of weapons and shots it doesn't come up much anyway. (how often do people shoot at things more than 750 yards away with a M4?)

I'm actually fine with the point blank rule for shotguns, since IMO it pretty much games out well. Although I'm not sure on the 11d pi++ on the x15 1d+2 3" shell.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:28 AM   #35
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
It's a gameable abstraction, but one which you don't run into as hard as the point blank one with shotguns.

1). It involves less rules changeover (it's just half damage)

2). for a lot of weapons and shots it doesn't come up much anyway. (how often do people shoot at things more than 750 yards away with a M4?)
I don't think I've ever seen 1/2 damage come up except once or twice for thrown weapons. Even the sling at 60ish yards is unlikely to come up in gurps tactical scale. At least at my table.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:50 AM   #36
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
I don't think I've ever seen 1/2 damage come up except once or twice for thrown weapons. Even the sling at 60ish yards is unlikely to come up in gurps tactical scale. At least at my table.
Ive simply gone and comeplety remove the range stat on guns.

Instead some have a "very close range" trait. Which means they deal ½damage outside a certain range. This is 50 for shotguns. A few other very short range guns have this trait, but mostly its shotguns.

Last edited by Maz; 07-18-2017 at 01:42 PM.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:01 AM   #37
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
Yep pretty much.

Maybe I don't do that much modern day stuff, but IIRC it came up a couple of time with some plebs trying to suppress the PCs at long range with AK74's (and maybe in a WW2 game I ran with people doing the same with SMG's now that I think of it)

Last edited by Tomsdad; 07-18-2017 at 07:20 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:02 AM   #38
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz72 View Post
I'd say it's much more important for (armored) vehicular combat than personal combat in most contexts. Which takes it right out of the picture for a lot of campaigns.

I also think it's awfully crude and would like more resolution, because in the types of situation where it does matter the additional detail of more breakpoints would actually be really important.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:16 PM   #39
lordabdul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
3 hits of 4.5 HP each may not give you the Major Wound HT roll for Knockdown and Stunning but you do get the HT roll at 0 HP for Consciousness.
In my games I count the 3 pellets hits as one attack/wound and 13.5 HP total (or whatever went through DR) would therefore trigger a knockdown roll. I’m not sure if it’s a house rule or not? I can’t find anything explicitly saying what "a single wound" is in terms of major wound rules?
lordabdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:22 PM   #40
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordabdul View Post
In my games I count the 3 pellets hits as one attack/wound and 13.5 HP total (or whatever went through DR) would therefore trigger a knockdown roll. I’m not sure if it’s a house rule or not? I can’t find anything explicitly saying what "a single wound" is in terms of major wound rules?
"Any single injury that inflicts a wound in excess of 1/2 your HP is a major wound."; p. B381

So multiple hits from different projectiles in the same turn shouldn't stack to do this. This is most obvious when looking at crippling injuries.

Note though that close range shotshell hits are a single attack per shell.

Again though, the system is performing as intended. It actually is probably being too generous to shotshell, which in real life is actually really terrible for quickly incapacitating big animals (like people); which is why if the OP really wants shotguns that work like Charles Bronson or John-117 is shooting them, there are rules for this.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 07-18-2017 at 05:27 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote