Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-06-2017, 06:14 PM   #1
benz72

Default Current skills at Techniques?

I was recently wondering if Shadowing was more appropriately a technique of stealth or a skill in its own right.
It already defaults to Stealth-4 and seems to be pretty narrowly focused.
?
Shadowing Hard
Default: Stealth -4
Prerequisite: Stealth
?

Does this make sense? Are there other skills that might be good techniques?
Old 07-06-2017, 06:59 PM   #2
malloyd

Default Re: Current skills at Techniques?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz72 View Post
Does this make sense? Are there other skills that might be good techniques?
I now routinely call Combat Art/Sport a technique of the combat skill. And yeah, Shadowing seems plausible to me too. Anything with a skill to skill default is probably a good candidate really.

I'd certainly seriously consider Aerobatics, Aquabatics, Diagnosis, Fast Draw, Group Performance, Makeup, Market Analysis, Parry Missile Weapons, Poetry, Power Blow, Pressure Points, Pressure Secrets, Religious Ritual, Shadowing, Shiphandling, and Stage Combat.

I want to add Zen Archery, which is pretty clearly not a freestanding skill, but it doesn't make sense as a cinematic technique either - if anything it feels like a detached piece of (or Special Enhancement to) Heroic Archer.

I'd also look at the rather scattered mental disciplines (Autohypnosis, Meditation, Dreaming, Mental Strength), the specialties of Environment Suit (and/or making them techniques of Hazardous Materials, Spacer and Scuba), the Sleight of Hand/Filch/Pickpocket/Holdout complex, the more ridiculously specialized weapon skills (Main Gauche, Tonfa, Lance, Cloak, Net, the specialties of Fencing, though I'd probably to collapse them even further to Skill Adaptation or Exotic Weapon Training perks), and those skills with a *lot* of required specializations (Driving, Electronics Repair, Mechanic, Musical Instrument, Survival) or skill to skill defaults (*sword). Though in those last cases less because they can't be separate skills than because the defaults structure makes them effectively extra expensive techniques of each other already.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:18 AM   #3
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Current skills at Techniques?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz72 View Post
Does this make sense?
Sure... however as Shadowing includes just as much Observation as it does Stealth, I'd say it could be a Technique of either of them.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
techniques